Beaten by an oil change

polecat

Did everything for the service and I had decided to save the easy bit until last ..... the oil change

Well the Haynes manual showed a direct line to the oil drain plug for the socket wrench but thats for the Thundercat,

On the fazer the frame is right in the way !

So I can see no way of getting a simple socket on it let alone a torque wrench

I tried with a spanner but the thing is stuck fast and slightly burred

I then noticed even if I could get the drain plug out the 65mm oil filter tool does not really fit on the 65mm oil filter.

I would LOVE to know how your supposed to get the oil sump plug out of a FZS 600 Mk1 when the frame is right where the socket needs to go !

Anyhow I think I shall have to admit defeat and give a real mechanic a call to try and change my oil for me :oops:

I would LOVE to know how your supposed to get the oil sump plug out of a FZS 600 Mk1 when the frame is right where the socket needs to go !

Did you warm the bike up first before trying to undo the sump plug? (warm oil flows out better, and plug is easier to remove when engine is warm.

Got any photos showing were the drain plug is?

Can you get a ring spanner on it? A good 6 sided ring spanner is as good as a socket. (better than a cheap socket)

If you are confident you can get the oil filter off and back on again, or if it all goes wrong you can get somebody else to sort it without starting the bike and riding it, then stick a screwdriver through the side of the old filter and use the leverage to unscrew it. Oil wrench tools are generally rubbish, I have yet to be beaten by smacking a screwdriver through the side and twisting :)

Ill just get a photo of the drain plug

I did warm it up and I did try a ring spanner and it would not budge to the effect the spanner was slipping :roll:

I cant belive what an awkward place this is and the gap beteween the frame and the plug is just wide enough for a socket but not the wrench so god knows how you torque it as the manual tells you :shock:

IMG_1514.JPG.0f8a44b070e4699ea28cdc24c66507eb.JPG

Well it must be possible mate, don't usually need to take engine out to remove a drain plug or filter. Ask a yammy mechanic tomorrow? What does the manual say?

Well it must be possible mate, don't usually need to take engine out to remove a drain plug or filter. Ask a yammy mechanic tomorrow? What does the manual say?

manual just shows the thundercat which does not have a frame in the way !

No photos of the fazer frame ....wonder why :!:

I did warm it up and I did try a ring spanner and it would not budge to the effect the spanner was slipping :roll:

Ring spanner slipping? Are you sure you are using the right size?

Ring spanner slipping? Are you sure you are using the right size?

Yeah its a 17 and the drain bolt is not a perfect hex due to previous abuse I reckon

Yeah its a 17 and the drain bolt is not a perfect hex due to previous abuse I reckon

Try a decent ring spanner, you need a good 6 sided one, not a multiple position one. If it slips with a 6 sided ring spanner, you need professional help getting it off anyway as it is round.

I don't know what your tools are like but companies that sell cheap ring spanners should be shot. They cause more damage that they remove bolts.

Try a decent ring spanner, you need a good 6 sided one, not a multiple position one. If it slips with a 6 sided ring spanner, you need professional help getting it off anyway as it is round.

I don't know what your tools are like but companies that sell cheap ring spanners should be shot. They cause more damage that they remove bolts.

Thanks for your help but I think the bolt was a bit knacked before I got near it unfortunatly

I agree about cheap tools !

Gonna try and convince my friendly mechanic to help me :roll:

By the sounds of it you will need a flank driver spanner:

http://www.nobody.org.uk/temp/12mm_flank_drive_vs_6p_hex_socket.jpg

It is the one on the left.

Instead of being like normal spanners/sockets and gripping the corners a flank drive grips the flat of the bolt. So even when it is rounded off usually a Flank will beable to get it out.

IIRC - 'Windy gun' sockets are usually fank drive, but:

Think this should work:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snap-On-Tools ... 500wt_1361

Order a new sump plug and washer before you extract this worn one. No point sticking it back in and having the same problem next time

Good thinking batman !

I just read on the Fazer owners forum that the only way to remove this bolt is with a ring spanner, I did try this but its too stuck so before I totally fugger it up I think I'll get a proffesional to look at it, and as colin said replace the bolt.

What were Yamaha thinking ! you cant use a torque on it because there is no room for a socket :roll:

Apparently Copper grease should be placed on the bolt to avoid this happening again so I will be able to do future Oil changes myself.

Also I just know that the filter will be a Pig if I try it ( as its the original Yamaha one) and might have been on the bike about 8 years I expect as this is its first proper service @ 10,000 miles

Thanks for your help guys :cheers:

Guest Hodgy

It's probably too late now, but next time you need an oil filter, buy a K&N, slightly more expensive than some but high quality and there is a 17mm hexagon built into the end of them so they can be very easily removed with a spanner or socket :thumb:

It's probably too late now, but next time you need an oil filter, buy a K&N, slightly more expensive than some but high quality and there is a 17mm hexagon built into the end of them so they can be very easily removed with a spanner or socket :thumb:

That sounds a really good idea !

Ill certainly bare it in mind for next time

I booked the bike in for an oil change on wednesday much to my shame but at least it will be done properly so I can do it easier next time :oops:

Guest Hodgy

That sounds a really good idea !

Ill certainly bare it in mind for next time

I booked the bike in for an oil change on wednesday much to my shame but at least it will be done properly so I can do it easier next time :oops:

Hey no shame mate, much better than buggering something up and having to spend 3 times as much getting it fixed, once you have the new bolt in it will be easy next time :D

Every time you change your bike, or car come to that, there's always something you haven't got in your toolbox. The toolkit that came with the bike may have a tool that is bike specific and points you in the right direction of what you need to buy. Owners forums are good for picking the brains of folk who've already solved any problem you're having. Having said that I learn lots here in pitstop. 8-)

Somebody has flogged that plug bolt up way to tight, or l'm just wondering if some numpty has used threadlock ?! Some heat on the bolt might just help. As already said, make sure you get a new plug and washer before you take this one out, this one's now shot!!

Somebody has flogged that plug bolt up way to tight, or l'm just wondering if some numpty has used threadlock ?! Some heat on the bolt might just help. As already said, make sure you get a new plug and washer before you take this one out, this one's now shot!!

Quiet right, the person who did that bolt up really put some force into doing it up and hopefully when the garage do it they will replace the bolt at the same time as requested.

@ Colin

I find every bike I have had I need to buy specific tools for each one and also that each one has something jammed tight making DIY a lot harder.

My solution is going to be ....... Stop changing my bike :)

Anyone reading this who doesn't agree with Colin, please note the below pics,,,,

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/bloodyhell.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/slipperysod.jpg