How Often Should I Oil My Chain?

PabloK42

Bought my first biggish bike earlier this year, can anyone advise on how freqently I should oil my Kawasaki 650 ER6F(2008) chain?

I am concerned this poxy weather is simply killing my bike despite having two covers over it!!

Can anyone also recommend a anti rust spray too??

Lovin this summer, its a belter!!

I do mine once a month or every 500 miles whichever comes first, probably overkill but it isn't a difficult job.

I don't think it matters what you use on your chain whether its lube, wax or plain old oil, as long as you clean it regularly. oh and dont use wd-40 as lube!! :shock:

don't forget to check the chain slack as well.

Ditto the ACF50 for anti-rust. Use sparingly after washing the bike.

Definitely recommend fitting a scotoiler or similar - a reservoir that automatically lubes the chain as you ride. Cost a few quid to buy but the oil lasts for ages. Tango fitted a different make of oiler recently to the Sprint ST - I expect he'll chip in with the make but I think it was cheaper than Scotoiler.

Should say in your manual specificly to the bike, but mine is from 400 to 600 miles.

But i love that bike! I'd get it for a big bike if it wasnt so expensive!

Upload some piccys some day

Yeah....I fitted a Loobman £20.....just put 10W40 oil in it and press the button on the top before riding. Dead easy to fit too as you don't need to run a pipe from the inlet manifold as you do with the Scottoiler..... :wink:

Ive read in lots of places about NOT using chain Lube on o-ring chains as it knackers the rings.. any thoughts on this? I've always used spray on lube...

Ive read in lots of places about NOT using chain Lube on o-ring chains as it knackers the rings.. any thoughts on this? I've always used spray on lube...

Read the can

I don't see how with O-rings compared with X-ring that some lubes would make a difference...

Won't the components just be the same albeit a different configuration of o-ring vs x-ring or am I wrong?

Unless the can says not to then I would call BS on whoever said that as I cant see why anyone would sell a lube that could harm any type of motorbike chain :lol:

Unless the can says not to then I would call BS on whoever said that as I cant see why anyone would sell a lube that could harm any type of motorbike chain :lol:

Yep, thats my view too.. After a good ride, as im wheeling the old gal back into the garage, i always give 'er a good squirting with lube...

Chip fat... :mrgreen:

I clean and lube mine when it looks like its going to need it, be that every 2 or 3 days in winter or month in summer. Rain does not damage a chain as much as salt does.

I lube mine atleast once a week in wet weather, and clean and lube about every three. Lamp oil is very good for cleaning chains.

I have always used spray chain lube and it's never made any difference to the o rings or x rings. I thought that was the whole point of chain lube.

I did have a scott oiler on one of my bikes but couldn't be arsed swapping it over. They are very good mind, espesially if you're forgetfull.

I use Mucoff chain cleaner every now and then. Read an article saying about not using WD40 on O-ring and X-ring chains as it can wash the grease out and cause the chain to wear out quicker.

I use sdoc dry lube and sdoc chain cleaner they do a fine and dandy job.

to be quite honest as is always the case companies have been creatuive and come up with many different methods to achieve the same one.

I chose dry lube oil it brilliant. clean your chain with whatever. let it dry go for a 10min ride or so to warm the chain. (no longer rmbr there is no lubricant atm) then spray the dry chain oil on.

Why warm, that helps the oil bind to the chain and not flick off when you next ride it.

also every 500miles as per the manual - i oil and clean. may given an additional oilling here and there if im feeling paranoid