Soft VS hard armour + avoid big jackets, girls!

<t>Leather or Fabric?</t>  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Leather or Fabric?

• Leather
    • Fabric
    • Neither - I ride naked, obvs!

I should have been a member of this website before purchasing my biking clothes!

Jacket too big problems:

Immediately after getting my bike I bought a £130 Furygan jacket, which I was really happy with when I got it, however I chose one that was a slightly larger size (and a men's jacket) because I'm a massive wuss when it comes to cold, despite it having a remoooovable thermal layer, and thought I'd need the extra space for lots of layers. I now wish I'd have got a size smaller or a women's jacket, because I either look pregnant or like I've got odd boobs as it puffs out when sat on my bike! :mrgreen: I didn't think to sit down when trying it on... :bang: ! It is an excellent jacket though and no doubt I'd wear it all through winter if my leather one gets too cold, just to get my money's worth haha!

Joined clothing & soft VS hard armour

At the BMF convention in Peterborough back in May I got myself a load of awesome kit very VERY cheap and I highly recommend others going to biker conventions like this and doing the same. I would never buy online, I can't imagine knowing whether clothing will fit or not without trying it on first. I bought some fabric trousers and a leather jacket, both for £50 (despite what it says on the labels in the photos), with CE approved protection. I don't think the mixture of fabrics looks wrong tbh, BUT I never considered until looking at this section on TMBF that if I come off, the clothing not being attached in some way means my jacket could ride up and expose skin in a slide, which wouldn't be great! I will now be looking into ways to make them both attach (this is where mums and nans come in handy, haha!).

I have only just started wearing the leather jacket because I couldn't STAND the hard armour in it the first time I wore it. But I have really got used to it and the leather is becoming less stiff with more wear. And tbh I do feel much safer when wearing it - I can imagine if I came off my bike, the leather and harder protection would keep me safer than the Furygan jacket. It also looks the dogs bollocks, and when looking at other bikers I think leathers look cooler (despite it being made of cow - being an avid cow fan this isn't the most ideal thing in the world for me haha!). Also, I am a clean freak and have been washing the Furygan jacket, but I read on the information booklet that you can only do it so many times before it weakens the fabric - you don't really have that option with the leather!

And finally - Questions:

> Does anyone have experience or opinions on the difference between soft and hard armour in jackets?

> Is there a good way of washing leather? I don't like wearing a sweaty jacket!

> I accidentally found out today that the leather jacket I bought is probably intended for someone with a Suzuki GSXR bike, after I saw the same style 'R' on some dust caps online...what are people's opinions on bikers wearing clothes that don't match the make of their own bike?? It's not like I'm wearing a Harley jacket - I think that'd be more blatent! BUT does this annoy others like it annoys me when people turn up to a concert wearing a tshirt for A DIFFERENT BAND?!! Hahahaha! :lol:

Hope you're having a fab weekend everyone :cheers:

536749_10151752344970434_1799218275_n.jpg.f435c2b892eaee0fb2c95f07e4921b89.jpg

Oh no! It's meant for a different bike *oh bollocks!*

559604_10151752344525434_1585953176_n.jpg.4f350e79318fb567f0e379ae8d5cd0dc.jpg

I <3 this jacket

13264685_Mooonmootorbike.jpg.e02278f14ff17ef087fba3558d35f8a4.jpg

hiding the puffed bit! It looks worse when I've got both my feet up ridng along!

Yeah...I don't think anyone really worries whether the bike matches the gear or not..... :wink: I've got various jackets and trousers with all sorts of armour fitted. I kinda prefer the Knox Hard armour.....no particular reason other than I think it may provide better protection in an off......but this is just my personal feeling.....no data to back this up..... :wink:

As I say, I've got various bits of kit....and most will join with the zip....even if the zips are different lengths they join together well enough..... 8-)

Stop cleaning your bike gear......it's supposed to be dirty.......it goes with the whole image of bikers..... :lol: :lol:

Option 3 OBV!

Who cares whats on your gear? What if you have more than one bike? (get a sticker, 'my other bike is a GSXR1100')

Worrying about what colour/logo your gear is puts you inthe power ranger bracket (rides to cafes to pose on a sunday afternoon when its sunday)

You are cool, and WAY more hardcore than that! Don't worry about it!

:booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:

I've only recently started going to metal gigs so theres a good chance i dont have that bands t shirt yet. but i wear the tshirt i bought at the last show and then buy a shirt from the band i was supporting that night.

there are normally always legit reasons for peoples actions so i try not to judge without knowing too much. I wouldnt worry about people thinking "OH MY GOD! What the hell is she doing wearing a jacket with the GSX R on it when she CLEARLY doesnt have a GSXR." and if they do bring it up if its not in jest then i doubt the people will be worth your time.

Your clothes are your clothes, wear what youre comfortable in and what makes you happy. You shouldnt let others influence you into something you dont feel is right or good.

Yeah...I don't think anyone really worries whether the bike matches the gear or not..... :wink: I've got various jackets and trousers with all sorts of armour fitted. I kinda prefer the Knox Hard armour.....no particular reason other than I think it may provide better protection in an off......but this is just my personal feeling.....no data to back this up..... :wink:

As I say, I've got various bits of kit....and most will join with the zip....even if the zips are different lengths they join together well enough..... 8-)

Stop cleaning your bike gear......it's supposed to be dirty.......it goes with the whole image of bikers..... :lol: :lol:

The next day I got my partner to try zipping my mis-matched hit together and it works! Boo yah!!!

Yarr, melikes the hard armour stuff, and melikes the leather despite my obsessive cow-love :shock:

And the cleaning?? But....but....I SWEAT in that gear! Some days I even get whiffy pis *ewwww*!!! hahaha :mrgreen:

What do you mean by soft armour? Any armour in my jackets and trousers has become more pliable and molded itself to me the more it is worn.

I look pregnant in my jacket and I am a boy, so I would not worry about that.

I think bikers who by stuff to match their bikes are far more naff than those who wear any old thing.

You don't need to wash stuff. You just wear it till a crust forms and then you scrape it off.

What do you mean by soft armour? Any armour in my jackets and trousers has become more pliable and molded itself to me the more it is worn.

I look pregnant in my jacket and I am a boy, so I would not worry about that.

I think bikers who by stuff to match their bikes are far more naff than those who wear any old thing.

You don't need to wash stuff. You just wear it till a crust forms and then you scrape it off.

Yay - pregnant buddies!!! So glad it's not just me :lol:

I mean that the inserts in the fabric jacket are just really flexible soft foam, the armour in the leather jacket is actually hard. I much prefer the harder armour.

Ewww, til a crust forms?! Hahahahahha!!! Oh well, I'll just keep washing my trousers in the mean time, don't wanna damage my awesome jacket.

Cheers :cheers:

Option 3 OBV!

Who cares whats on your gear? What if you have more than one bike? (get a sticker, 'my other bike is a GSXR1100')

Worrying about what colour/logo your gear is puts you inthe power ranger bracket (rides to cafes to pose on a sunday afternoon when its sunday)

You are cool, and WAY more hardcore than that! Don't worry about it!

:booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty: :booty:

Matty!

I think my dad just wants me to look the dog's bollocks seing as he chose and chipped in for most of my bike - I was just wondering if people wear mis-matched stuff often and if other bikers are secretly laughing at me :mrgreen:

Btw, don't go knocking the Power Rangers, that shit was cool!

I love the idea of getting the 'my other bike is a GSXR1100' sticker!!! Genius! :thumb:

i guess i fall into the power ranger category , reading the comments on here...its just a girly colour coordination thing...but yep, my leathers match my bike... and i have even been known to paint my nails to match :D :up:

I mean that the inserts in the fabric jacket are just really flexible soft foam, the armour in the leather jacket is actually hard. I much prefer the harder armour.

That foam is not armour, it is just foam to keep the shape of the jacket when it has no armour in it. I use RST Contour Plus armour. Each bit costs a tenner and money well worth spent IMO.

I like the way you do your text to match your hair :D

i guess i fall into the power ranger category , reading the comments on here...its just a girly colour coordination thing...but yep, my leathers match my bike... and i have even been known to paint my nails to match :D :up:

Now THAT's attention to detail! Just gotta do your hair to match now, and remember - curtains must match the drapes!!!

Hahahahahahahaha!! :lol:

That foam is not armour, it is just foam to keep the shape of the jacket when it has no armour in it. I use RST Contour Plus armour. Each bit costs a tenner and money well worth spent IMO.

I like the way you do your text to match your hair :D

Really?!?! That jacket cost SO much money! Boo! I'll prob just keep wearing my leather jacket til it gets cold then, then invest in proper armour inserts. Thanks for advice!

The text is more to match my bike, as my hair is currently this colour (below), and going blue to match my wedding dress for our big day in 6 weeks time!:

942284326_RQ-DSCN1275b.jpg.0f48d21d2e7ff9653cc70d1e65b85fe5.jpg

chick if your jacket has pockets for armour to be inserted and you would like some pm me, i have some :)

as for cheap gear, its all well and good but i have learnt over the years to save up and get better more expensive stuff, you pay for the technology they use to test and improve. i will stand for double stitching, wouldnt consider single again, my little off burst the knee of the rst razor leathers. the bigger your bike gets the better your protection should get.

the difference between textiles and leathers if protected are not much different. buying online is ok but check return policy before buying. try girlsbike2.com i have bought from them a few times.

think my next purchase will be something to protect my lady bits. i have got to go clothes shopping again anyway to replace stuff but OMG my bits took a battering lol

chick if your jacket has pockets for armour to be inserted and you would like some pm me, i have some :)

Why thankyou very much, I'd really appreciate that -the jacket does have the pouches for the inserts to go in. Would you like anything for them? I'd obv cover postage too. Cheers!! :cheers:

as for cheap gear, its all well and good but i have learnt over the years to save up and get better more expensive stuff, you pay for the technology they use to test and improve.

But the Furygan jacket I spent £130 on is the one that has the shoddy foam inserts - the leather jacket is second hand from a bike convention for £30 and it's proper armoured up. I don't get it really! But will keep in mind about the stitching and everything in the future. I'm just on a 125cc atm that won't go past 65mph unfortunately...full licence by the end of the year I hope!

Thanks lovely.

btw, what kind of 'bits protection' are ya after?? Haha!

Why thankyou very much, I'd really appreciate that -the jacket does have the pouches for the inserts to go in. Would you like anything for them? I'd obv cover postage too. Cheers!! :cheers:

as for cheap gear, its all well and good but i have learnt over the years to save up and get better more expensive stuff, you pay for the technology they use to test and improve.

But the Furygan jacket I spent £130 on is the one that has the shoddy foam inserts - the leather jacket is second hand from a bike convention for £30 and it's proper armoured up. I don't get it really! But will keep in mind about the stitching and everything in the future. I'm just on a 125cc atm that won't go past 65mph unfortunately...full licence by the end of the year I hope!

Thanks lovely.

btw, what kind of 'bits protection' are ya after?? Haha!

i know a female racer who has a large sponge gaffa taped to the tank...that seems to work :)

• 1 month later...

Lots of people have told me textile is as good as leather, but I had a fairly good quality jacket and the underarm split open at 20mph and the road went through to my forearm as I was leaning on it. I realised after the jacket was single stitched, so none of the stitches showed. big mistake. I will be going for leather from now on, and just put a rainsuit under the seat.

Once you have a few bits of clothing, you seem to end up with sets of armour, I would be quite happy to buy a good jacket without as I would just move some from an old jacket. Old clothing is not worth a lot anyway.

Lots of people have told me textile is as good as leather, but I had a fairly good quality jacket and the underarm split open at 20mph and the road went through to my forearm as I was leaning on it. I realised after the jacket was single stitched, so none of the stitches showed. big mistake. I will be going for leather from now on, and just put a rainsuit under the seat.

Once you have a few bits of clothing, you seem to end up with sets of armour, I would be quite happy to buy a good jacket without as I would just move some from an old jacket. Old clothing is not worth a lot anyway.

After my accident at 30mph landing on my leather jacket it only had dull scratches on it, and despite my cow-love, I will only buy leather in the future!