How to start doing your own servicing/Possible Skill swap?

Leeming

In the past I have used a strap wrench to remove oil filters. Once I ended up using a big screwdriver, hammed through both sideds of the filter and turned with a hollow tube. Now I use a Honda filter tool on Honda filters and a 17mm spanner on a K&N filter.

You hammered a long screwdriver through a filter to remove it Alan?.......I've never done that....often... :wink: :lol: :lol:

You hammered a long screwdriver through a filter to remove it Alan?.......I've never done that....often... :wink: :lol: :lol:

will have to take a photo of the filter i took of m GSXR using the screwdriver method... the filter had been screwed on so tightly that the screwdriver just tore the metal of the filter away! i got it off eventually but it was a really mangled mess... will dig it out of the garage bin :)

Were you referring to the oil filter or the drain bolt underneath?

The drain bolts are usually protected with a dropped bit of engine, so you would have to have a socket to get it off.

Buy yourself a socket set mate, you will need one for servicing and repairs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-15-PIE ... 231b87fae3

Stick that above address into google. It's on ebay at the moment. I love draper, they make very good affordable tools, very well made and they last for years.

Draper expert are very good quality, standard draper are the cheapest Chinese produced tat you can find, I swear they make them from soft cheese! That socket set wont last as long as the British summer!

Also avoid britool as they are über cheap now!! Shane they used to be the best you could buy! They only sell due to their old name these days.

Buy cheap but twice.

Look for a brand such as:

Snap on

Facom

Gedore

Sykes pickavant (halfords own are Sykes and carry a life time warranty)

Knippex

Bacho

Sandvic (I think bacho now own them however)

King dick

There are others but for me gedore seem the best for spanners, knippex for pliers and cutters and grips, bacho screwdrivers, and Sykes socket sets. I also have a Sykes bearing puller set bit that should be good it was well over a grand!

Also decide do you want 6 or 12 sided socket bits? 6 sided, or full nut, are less likely to slip and round off but some fasteners are designed specifically to use 12 sided. Don't touch these metrinch imperial/metric combo sockets they are awfull! Sloppy as hell and exhaustive to use. And a ratchets should be no more than 5 degrees or it will be useless in tight spaces, a zero degree one is a pleasure to use but won't have such a long life before needing a rebuild kit.

A good 40 piece socket set can be had from about £50.

Oh yeah,

Bear in mind cheap socket walls are thinker due to cheaper material and don't fit into some spaces especialy around cams and bearing caps etc should you ever do valve checks etc.

It's well worth having the champher ground out of the end of your socket bits on a surface grinder too, you get a FAR better purchase on the heads and nuts that way and it helps avoid rounding hugely, you can actively feel the difference when using them, don't attempt it with an angle grinder it won't end up flat and true!

All valid points, but for the majority of home mechanics, a cheap Halfords tool set will be enough, and if its not, you can always pop out to buy the tool you're missing.

I'm not really into branded tools, i have a lot of Halfords Professional stuff, a couple of Kamsa socket sets that ive owned for 20+years and a load of tools inherited from my grandfather who was an engine builder/fitter for Halifax Bombers during the war, and was an engine builder/tester for Daimler, Jaguar and and various other car manufacturers. They are some really good quality old tools, but alas the imperial sizes are not much use on modern metric machinery.

I'm also a sucker for cheap tools from outlet stores and places like Maplins. I know i shouldn't buy them, but they can sometimes be surprisingly good for home mechanics use! (but i have broken my fair share of cheap tools in the past)

Like I say halfords are made by Sykes pickervant and exceptional quality, so I totaly agree there. OLD tools ate normaly outstanding too.

Cheap tools tho don't last and you buy twice as we'll as replacing the fixings they ruin along the way. It's a faulse ecconomy.

Ok, so I tried to remember (and understand the fancy words) as much as this as possible when I went to Halfords this morning... one of the employees wasn't too helpful (apart from point to a £100 one saying to get that one), so ended up buying a Halfords set for £27 (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255215)

Just got home and tried it. 12mm one fits but the bolt is on tight and I just ended up rounding some of the corners. I think this is because it was 12 (I think... too many anyway) sized instead of 6... I did ask the guy in the shop and he said most should be 6sided... non were.

Questions:

1) Any reason to keep this set? Think Im just gonna try to take it back and get a refund. (possibly buy 6sided 12mm socket now that i know what the size is)

2) My engine oil is now extremely low (ive been trying to do this for weeks now.. pift).. how bad of an idea is it just to 'top up' using new oil, without draining?

3) Should I just give Mr serviceman some money for now and attempt this home servicing some other time?

Look at the shape of the sockets in this set:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255215

If yours dont look like these, then take your set back!

If youre serious about getting into bike mechanics, then spending 60quid now on a good set of tools will save you money in the long run. :cheers:

I've never got on with 12 sided sockets. I find the 6 sided ones a much better fit.

Sounds like your sump bolt has been put on way over tight. Should be around 30 - 40Nm.

DON'T ride it low on oil. While you figure out how to get the drain bolt out, you can top it up to it's specified limit, it wont do any more harm, but you certainly will damage it with hardly any oil inside.

May be better to just take it in and get an oil change. When you get it back, it should have a new sump plug on it and tightened to the correct torque so you will be able to do it yourself next time.