Clutch Cable Lubrication

Ben_E

What's the best stuff to use to lubricate a clutch cable and the best way to do it? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that fork oil was the best stuff to use but I'm not sure if I'm recalling that correctly.

Thanks

Edited by Ben_E

Hang the cable vertically by one of the nipples. Drip 3in1 onto the top of the cable while pushing the outer up and down. Repeat this until oil appears at the lower nipple. If you have plasticine or blue tack, fashion a funnel at the top and keep it topped up with oil.

So how are you gonna get the graphite spray to go all the way down the cable?

smart arse!! :mrgreen: I have always heard good things about that type of spray which is why I mentioned it, but your way is the tried and tested 'just works' method I suppose :cheers:

Sorry mate, graphite is a superb lubricant . but it wouldn't get all the way down the cable! Yes, been using my method with 3in1 for 30odd years. Modern cables are usually PTFE lined , so shouldn't need lubing. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hang the cable vertically by one of the nipples. Drip 3in1 onto the top of the cable while pushing the outer up and down. Repeat this until oil appears at the lower nipple. If you have plasticine or blue tack, fashion a funnel at the top and keep it topped up with oil.

no need to remove the cable from the bike to do this. nice and easy.