Clunking front end?

iiisecondcreep

I took the VFR out today for the first time since September. When I was going along I went over a few small holes in the road (1.5" deep, nothing major) and the front end was clunking loudly every time.

I seem to recall the bike was much the same before it had the fork seals done in June.

I put a cable tie on one of the forks and took it out again, when I brought the bike back the cable tie had been pushed up 85mm- this was easy going riding and only a mile along the road and back (and going over a couple of those shallow holes). I don't know how much the suspension is meant to travel but that seems quite a lot when I wasn't really doing much. The maximum fork travel for my bike is 120mm.

First question - are the forks doing too much travelling for normal riding? If so what do I do about it?

Second question - is this likely to be the cause of the clunking or could it be something else? If so, would there be any other symptoms? (the clunking whilst going over bumps is the only symptom atm).

Thanks!

Gayle

i would check for play in the steering head bearing first gayle put the bike up on the centre stand see how freely the handlebars move from lock to lock with front wheel off the ground then hold the forks and see if any forward and backward motion in them

to check the wheel bearings get bike up on centre stand again and get the front wheel off the ground then hold wheel at top and bottom while at the side of the bike and see if there feels like there is movement sideways rather than forwards and backwards

Thanks Steve :)

Alan, how do I check the oil level and is it easy to put more in? It was Honda that did the forks in June and they do have a 12 months parts warranty but not labour. How long should I reasonably expect the fork repairs (new seals, new bushes and new oil) to have lasted? (if that is the problem). Thanks! :)

Yep repairs should last longer than 8 months Gayle. Check fork oil levels as per a workshop manual. Check steering head bearings by putting bike on a paddock stand, lifting front off the ground with a jack. Grab bottom of fork legs with both hands and try pulling and pushing forward and back. If you feel a clicking, you need to tighten the two nuts under the top yoke. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Something that I've seen that looks and sounds like loose head bearings but isn't......the bobbins on the floating front disks wear and have a little bit of play in them......so if you rock the bike forwards and back with the front brake on you can feel a knock coming up through the steering......maybe worth checking as well Gayle..... :)

Right, just been out and tried some of those things.

Turning the bars from side to side is fine, nice and smooth. If I grab the forks at the bottom there is definite movement (maybe about 20mm?) but no clicking. If I try to move them at the top (slider? Eds suggestion) there is no movement.

Checking the wheel was tricker but there seems to be side-side movement, very little (5mm?) but it does seem to be moving.

Also as per above the stanchions are going in by 85mm under normal riding.

If you have that much movement then something is deffinately wrong, you need to get it checked out properly :thumb:

Do you mean for all the things?

OK Gayle....sounds like the head bearings could do with adjusting....and maybe new wheel bearing time too.... :(

Ok, Ed thinks wheel bearings are easy as he has done them previously. He is less confident about the steering head bearings due to worrying about over tightening but we have a torque wrench so should be safe with that?

Guest Hodgy
If you have that much movement then something is deffinately wrong, you need to get it checked out properly :thumb:

Do you mean for all the things?

OK Gayle....sounds like the head bearings could do with adjusting....and maybe new wheel bearing time too.... :(

Ok, Ed thinks wheel bearings are easy as he has done them previously. He is less confident about the steering head bearings due to worrying about over tightening but we have a torque wrench so should be safe with that?

Yep for all things, although they may all be the same problem, if that makes sense? That's why it needs checking properly.

You don't use torque wrench for head bearings, there done by 'feel'

:)

Yeah.....it's getting the adjustment nut so that there's no movement in the head bearings....but they're not so tight as to make the steering sticky. Just tighten the adjustment nut a small amount and then check the play in the forks....if there's still a bit of movement adjust it a little more. When it's right then tighten the lock nut...... 8-)

I thought Gayle said the forks felt alright at the top , but 20mm movement at the bottom? This could be fork bushes at the bottom of the stanchions. There was movement of the wheel? If so, remove calipers and spin the wheel , see if it is silent. If not sure,remove wheel and stick yer thumb in the bearing to feel for notchiness. :mrgreen:

If still not sure Gayle, gimme a bell.

I thought Gayle said the forks felt alright at the top , but 20mm movement at the bottom? This could be fork bushes at the bottom of the stanchions. There was movement of the wheel? If so, remove calipers and spin the wheel , see if it is silent. If not sure,remove wheel and stick yer thumb in the bearing to feel for notchiness. :mrgreen:

If still not sure Gayle, gimme a bell.

Thats right, didn't feel any movement whilst holding the forks at the top of the lower half :)

Also agree with what Ed said, it was probably only about 10mm movement

Wheel removing will need to wait until the weekend, not enough daylight in the evenings yet :/