Motorcycle essential accessories

Guest MrSmith

Hi guys!

I'm pretty new to biking, passed my direct access early last month, and have recently got myself a new CBR500R. Anyway, my birthday is coming up and I'm just asking for some gift cards to use at the local BikersWorld. I want to get some stuff for my bike, and am just wondering what people recommend? I'm thinking along the lines of a stand maybe, to make lubing the chain alittle easier and things like that.

So what kind of things are the basic 'can't do without' kit I should be investing in? Thanks folks

My essentials that I cannot imagine being without are

1 - mirror extenders, loads about, some universal some bike specific. I hated the limited view and having to move my head to see mirrors whilst I was learning. Extenders mean I get a much better view and can see the mirrors easily.

2 - seat pad. I have a gel one from DanMedicaSouth and a bean bag from Bumbags4bikers, both do equally well.

3 - upgraded body armour. Ditch any foam stuff and replace with Forcefield, Knox or similar.

4 - side stand foot. Stop the side stand from sinking into softer ground by fitting a foot to increase the surface area. Usually bike specific, or a cheap option is a puck you place under the stand before you get off (easier said than done)

5 - having both winter and summer gloves, I have yet to find a universal glove for all conditions.

6 - Grip Puppies, universal foam grips that reduce vibration to the hands and for me make the grip more comfortable by increasing the circumference.

7 - a good stout cable lock for parking up in town. I figure if you can lock your bike to something criminals will go after bikes with nothing of disc locks where they can still lift the bike into a van. I use the Oxford Barrier lock.

If you're a wuss like me and don't like excruciating pain at the end of journeys, some heated grips for the winter months would be ideal. But that can probably wait a while - I haven't even turned mine on in a month.

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Already got meaty chain lock and plenty of lube, cleaning products and some ACF50.

With the stand do they just fit to any bike or are they bike specific or do you have to fit anything to your bike to lift the rear wheel and allow it to spin freely? Side stands make chain lubing a pain in the arse!

Beyond that, there's some awesome ideas I never would have thought of. Awesome advice, cheers chaps and chapettes!

How do you find the seatpad? do they do pillion pads?

The DamMedicaSouth pads come in various different sizes and the Bumbags4bikers are one size. They both help equally and I have used both for long periods of time.

Battery charger/optimiser

Tyre pressure gauge

Scottoiler (automatic chain lubrication)

There are other lube systems such as LoobMan which is more manual (you turn it on when you set out and doesn't need to be connected to the engine) and therefore cheaper

If you are thinking of a stand I'd recommend the ABBA Stand.....I found them more stable than a traditional paddock stand.....and they now do an added bit where you can get the front wheel off the ground too...... 8-)

I tend to fit paintguard kits to my bikes......just protects the paintwork from damage....keep your pride and joy looking as good as the day you bought it..... :wink:

I modified an 2ndhand seat to fit a Danmedica gel pad.....works quite well.....but my *rse is still cracking nuts after a couple of hours on the bike..... :wink:

Heated grips

Scottoiler

Abba Stand (unless you have a center stand)

Rear hugger

Big lock

Touring screen (if you're going to do loads of miles)

Good set of waterproofs

Well paid job is always a good thing to get as well (not sure where you get these from though)

Heated grips

Scottoiler

Abba Stand (unless you have a center stand)

Rear hugger

Big lock

Touring screen (if you're going to do loads of miles)

Good set of waterproofs

Well paid job is always a good thing to get as well (not sure where you get these from though)

Lol, what about the Satnav? :lol:

If you ride any long journeys (especially dual carriageway/constant speed) then a clip on throttle rest is fantastic

Scottoiler Crampbuster - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scott ... 66&bih=643

Or something similar. There's lots of different types and you should be able to pick them up for £5.

Best £5 I've spent on bike kit I reckon.