Antisocial driving laws

techno

Yes obviously - if you are actually overtaking two lorries in succession then there is no need to pull over to the left, but if there is a reasonable gap between them then you should.

The speed that you are travelling is immaterial - the Highway Code says that you should pull over into the left hand (driving) lane when not actually overtaking.

Like I said, if people continue driving in the centre lane just because there is a slower vehicle in the distance, this means that drivers travelling faster are forced to use the outside lane, thus causing the congestion that you speak of, and it reduces the road to a two lane carriageway.

Many times I have had to pull out from the nearside lane, across the centre lane into the outside lane to overtake a vehicle in the centre lane which is travelling more slowly, because we are not supposed to undertake!!

I think it's fair to say that we may have all suffered the idiot who drives in the middle lane between 50 & 60 mph because they feel safe, they are travelling faster than the lorries in the left lane but they personally daren't go any faster.

However, on a personal standpoint, if I am doing the national speed limit, 70 mph, and making good progress past a line of traffic on my left (and this may mean a more than 15 second gap), I don't see why I should have to pull over just to let some idiot come by who want to break the law. He/she should be overtaking me in the outside lane, as that's what it is there for.

But why should he have to use lane 3 to overtake you? Lane 2 is also an overtaking lane. What happens if another vehicle wishes to overtake him? There's nowhere else to go, hence causing the congestion.

If you're making 'good progress' why can't you do this in lane 1 if there is no other vehicle in it that you're actually overtaking? As the Highway Code states, lane 1 is the driving lane - lane 2 & 3 are for overtaking!

I don't get the lane hogging thing. If I'm on a motorway overtaking a lorry at 70mph and there is gap of say 15 seconds between the lorry I'm currently overtaking and the next lorry I want to overtake do I have to pull in to let the moron doing 90mph + approaching my behind past? By the time I've pulled in ill be trying to find a gap to pull back out.

What time period is classed as "lane hogging"?

If you have a stream of cars coming up behind you at 90+MPH, is it really wise to pull out in front of them??

Pulling out on a cars doing 90+mph and expecting them to slow down to your speed as you "crawl" (at 70mph!) past slower moving traffic doesnt sound very wise to me...

If your overtake will only take 15 seconds, then you are better off slowing down, allowing the faster cars to pass, then pull out after they have passed you and take your time to overtake.

Fully behind anyone sitting in the wrong lane (So not overtaking, just coasting) getting some kind of penalty.

I do way too much driving/riding on motorways and it's obvious to see the problems these vehicles cause for miles back sometimes..

People ramming there selves up another cars backside as well might just be someone who's lost their temper with the "Middle-lane" twits.. No I am not saying all of them are, but if you reduce the amount of people sitting in the wrong lane then hopefully you'll reduce the anger in other drivers caused by them.. Leaving the ones who really are just speed hungry bullies to be caught by the coppers..

Shoving into lanes, I can see that one being punishable too but will be difficult for the rozzers to see.. Whenever I visit my mum in London it's terrifying those who dive in and out of lanes with no care and especially merge situations :evil:

If you have a stream of cars coming up behind you at 90+MPH, is it really wise to pull out in front of them??

Pulling out on a cars doing 90+mph and expecting them to slow down to your speed as you "crawl" (at 70mph!) past slower moving traffic doesnt sound very wise to me...

If you read the thread title (antisocial driving) who is doing the antisocial driving? someone within the law or someone speeding at 90+?

while its not wise to pull out in my eyes its them been antisocial and inconsiderate to other road users and driving recklessly

oh and 70mph is not crawling its the speed limit traveling at 70 is within the law everyone else out of the law should be punished :wink:

If I was traveling down a motorway at 70 in the middle lane overtaking and there was a little gap but then further up another slow moving vehicle that I would overtake in around 15 seconds and a car came flying up behind me I would not pull in to suit the car that was speeding! he should be reading the road and drive accordingly by slowing down and leaving a 2 second gap between me and him and waiting until I had overtaken the other vehicle and moved in not flying up and tailgating for you to move!! or he should use the third lane to overtake you overtaking!

Yes obviously - if you are actually overtaking two lorries in succession then there is no need to pull over to the left, but if there is a reasonable gap between them then you should.

The speed that you are travelling is immaterial - the Highway Code says that you should pull over into the left hand (driving) lane when not actually overtaking.

Like I said, if people continue driving in the centre lane just because there is a slower vehicle in the distance, this means that drivers travelling faster are forced to use the outside lane, thus causing the congestion that you speak of, and it reduces the road to a two lane carriageway.

Many times I have had to pull out from the nearside lane, across the centre lane into the outside lane to overtake a vehicle in the centre lane which is travelling more slowly, because we are not supposed to undertake!!

But as we all should know undertaking is not illegal so why not just carry on rather than going all the way out to lane 3?

I also believe what speed your going is irrelevant someone might know but I read something on one of these sorts of discusdions about not impeding someone on the highway regardless of speed or something along those lines.

If you read the thread title (antisocial driving) who is doing the antisocial driving? someone within the law or someone speeding at 90+?

while its not wise to pull out in my eyes its them been antisocial and inconsiderate to other road users and driving recklessly

oh and 70mph is not crawling its the speed limit traveling at 70 is within the law everyone else out of the law should be punished :wink:

yep, I was just playing devils advocate to stir up the debate a little by implying that the person doing 70 was being "antisocial" by forcing others to have to slow to his speed... :lol:

Its a topic that winds me up too... cant stand poor motorway drivers, and with fuel prices getting higher, people are driving less, and so skills are slipping.

As an example, I used to commute up the M3/M25 every weekend. I drove down South Friday night, and back up to London on Sunday evening. Sundays were great, the only cars on the road were big powerful, mostly German saloon cars driven (most likely) by people in a similar position to myself getting back to London for the next working week. The motorways flowed happily at well over 80mph, people used all lanes properly, and used their mirrors to see if anyone was coming up faster behind them, and all was fine.

Recently i did the same drive on a Sunday night, and was confronted by loads of little crappy micro cars all design for "city living" trying to drive at motorway speeds on their stupidly skinny little eco-friendly tyres. People were blocking lanes, crawling past each other, and it was generally a nasty, frustrating experience. I even saw a truck overtake a car as the car was in the left lane going slower than the truck's limiters!!

Other things i saw were people pulling left to let someone past, and then even though there was nothing in front, they pulled right again... Idiots!!!!

Times have certainly changed, and it annoys me... when i find some little tin box stuck in the middle lane screaming along at 68mph with an empty lane to their left, it just highlights that these people clearly dont drive much, have no idea how motorways work, and clearly have no awareness for other road users...

Edited by Joeman

I didnt mention pulling out in front of people doing 90mph +

people who choose to drive at excessive speeds meaning I have to slow down to be able to find a gap to overtake frustrate me more than middle lane hoggers.

Excessive speed kills - lane hoggers are less likely to cause fatal accidents (unless they're doing well under the speed limit of course)

Other things i saw were people pulling left to let someone past, and then even though there was nothing in front, they pulled right again... Idiots!!!!

This drives me mad!

Thing is - we don't know what these new sanctions mean until they (rozzers) start enforcing them. I don't think sitting in the middle lane because there's a lorry 1/2 a mile up the road will earn you a £100 fine, but sitting in the middle lane, drafting 4 or 5 vehicles behind you "days of thunder" style will probably get you pulled over and a ticking off.

Unless you bimble along the middle lane at 60mph without a care or consideration for any other motorist, while not overtaking anything to speak of, you have nothing to worry about.

I think the biggest part of these new powers is that it takes the red tape and bureaucracy away from anti-social driving and affords police the power to issue punitive measures on the spot, rather than clogging up the legal system with people who really shouldn't be there. This is why the standards have dropped, because legislation has meant that the police have had their power (and thus respect) taken away from them over the years. Restoration of said power should build some respect for the police and allow them to more effectively do their jobs.

The only thing I'm not especially keen on is the "guilty until proven innocent" however I'm hoping that the technology that adorns most police vehicles and the side of many of our helmets(!) will mean that any miscarriage will be swiftly dealt with.

This is a good thing folks! hopefully it will get people checking in their mirrors and not feeling that when they step into their steel boxes, everyone else on the road should get out of their way (because they pay more road tax than you).

end rant!

people who choose to drive at excessive speeds meaning I have to slow down to be able to find a gap to overtake frustrate me more than middle lane hoggers.

Excessive speed kills - lane hoggers are less likely to cause fatal accidents (unless they're doing well under the speed limit of course)

Its not excessive speed its inappropriate speed, we just did a high speed run accross 3 countries including the autobahn we didnt die because it was appropriate , doing it in rush hour wouldnt be. Also if everyone does the same speed there are no natural gaps to pull into being created you turn into a train in effect.

Heres a thought instead of driving and overtaking lanes etc why not just have 3 lanes dtive and pass in any american style.....oh my god what a thought I might have to use 2 mirrors :shock:

Its not excessive speed its inappropriate speed, we just did a high speed run accross 3 countries including the autobahn we didnt die because it was appropriate , doing it in rush hour wouldnt be.

Heres a thought instead of driving and overtaking lanes etc why not just have 3 lanes dtive and pass in any american style.....oh my god what a thought I might have to use 2 mirrors :shock:

:stupid:

This worked in america. although you often find you don't need to undertake because most people pull back into the inside lane.

I don't get the lane hogging thing. If I'm on a motorway overtaking a lorry at 70mph and there is gap of say 15 seconds between the lorry I'm currently overtaking and the next lorry I want to overtake do I have to pull in to let the moron doing 90mph + approaching my behind past? By the time I've pulled in ill be trying to find a gap to pull back out.

What time period is classed as "lane hogging"?

Exactly, the majority of times I don't pull in it's because doing so would end up with me having to slow down because of the traffic behind who won't move back to the correct lane.

There are some good ideas in new regulations, but the majority will be a waste of time. If they can beat it into peoples heads not to lane hog especially if doing less than the speed limit then they'll probably cut down on a lot of tailgaiting as well.

Its not excessive speed its inappropriate speed, we just did a high speed run accross 3 countries including the autobahn we didnt die because it was appropriate , doing it in rush hour wouldnt be. Also if everyone does the same speed there are no natural gaps to pull into being created you turn into a train in effect.

bahahahahahahahaha people dont use one yet let alone two!!!