Rear Wheel

Guest Bunster

After giving my chain a tighten earlier i noticed that there is a lot of space between these and i didn't know what to do to make it fit right..does anyone have any idea what i could do..i dont know if this was before or after me doing my chain..

http://i.imgur.com/DotigyR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rtLcPIg.jpg

I have highlited the problem in red..they have come away from each oter and there is a gap and it makes a sort scraping noise as the tire moves..the tire still moves fine im just worried of it coming away and my back wheel passing me as i'm driving to work xD

This is the latest result from my bike..Ive tried loosening the chain again and also tried lossing the axle and doin it up tight again but no luck..when i push the sprocket back into the tire it sits okay but as soon as i let go it comes back out and the sprocket feels very loose..

http://i.imgur.com/0ag2HbG.jpg

Edited by Anonymous

Welcome to the Forum mate......maybe head over to the newbies section and introduce yourself to everyone...... :)

Sorry but I can't make out what it is that you think is the problem.....maybe a few more pics and a bit more explanation and we may be able to give you some advice...... :wink:

Welcome to the Forum mate......maybe head over to the newbies section and introduce yourself to everyone...... :)

Sorry but I can't make out what it is that you think is the problem.....maybe a few more pics and a bit more explanation and we may be able to give you some advice...... :wink:

Ty for the reply i have updated to original post with another picture highlighting where i think the problem is

It's not a single sided swing arm.....so has a spindle going through the middle of the wheel.....so I'd think that it's very unlikely the wheel will fall off...... :wink:

I'm not sure what that bit is....whether it's a cush drive or not.......but the scraping noise could be.....chain tension too tight?.....did you check the tension at different points on the chain?......disk brake rubbing?.....this is normal, but are you sure there's enough pad material left on the pads?.......wheel bearings?......is there any lateral play in the wheel?......ie, if you grip the wheel with one hand at the top of the wheel and the other hand at the bottom can you rock the wheel side to side?

Just a couple of things to consider...... 8-)

I check the chain and it seems fine the slack seems perfect but i will try loosing it but im not sure if thats the problem.. thank you for the suggestions though :)

I check the chain and it seems fine the slack seems perfect but i will try loosing it but im not sure if thats the problem.. thank you for the suggestions though :)

Check the slack at different points around the chain.....it's not uncommon to get tight spots on chains.....and if you tensioned it to one of the looser points it may be grinding when it hits a tight spot..... :wink:

Hey mate, i had a same sorta problem.

my bike kept rattling, thought it was the chain or new brake pads as they just got new from shop, went around my street in 1st gear and you can really hear it clunk,

But after a whilte fount out it was the dryness of the chain from the recent heat, it was really dry and was clunking when going around the sprokets.

Once lubbed and left over night it didnt make the noise any more :)

simple problems can really be overlooked sometimes!

Hi, have you had the wheel out or just loosened it off to adjust the chain? I have to say looking at your pic's that the hub do's NOT look as if it is seated properly into the cushion drive and the spacer on the outside of the wheel is also out, have you tighten up the axle nut correctly? Don't ride until your fully happy all is ok, get a second opinion if needs be

Hi, have you had the wheel out or just loosened it off to adjust the chain? I have to say looking at your pic's that the hub do's NOT look as if it is seated properly into the cushion drive and the spacer on the outside of the wheel is also out, have you tighten up the axle nut correctly? Don't ride until your fully happy all is ok, get a second opinion if needs be

this is what Ithought myself but its as tight as I can get it..I've also tietd loosening my chain.and trying to tighten it again but it just won't sit right

Hi, I suggest that you loosen the wheel off the axle nut, Hold the chain and sprocket hub still using a glove or cloth, keeping your fingers well away from getting trapped, then rock the wheel back and forth by turning the tyre hopefully it might jump back in. l think that the hub is not fully inserted into the cush drive assemble hence the gap on both the hub and spacer. Failing this, take the axle out and inspect the assembly. Don't ride it until your completely happy all is ok.

Hi, I suggest that you loosen the wheel off the axle nut, Hold the chain and sprocket hub still using a glove or cloth, keeping your fingers well away from getting trapped, then rock the wheel back and forth by turning the tyre hopefully it might jump back in. l think that the hub is not fully inserted into the cush drive assemble hence the gap on both the hub and spacer. Failing this, take the axle out and inspect the assembly. Don't ride it until your completely happy all is ok.

I will try this now and see how it goes thank you for the help :)

I tried all the solutions so far and im just having no luck at all..no matter how tight/loose the axle nut is and how tight/loose the chain is the sprocket just wont sit in..I can push the spricket into position and it sits in but very loose and then as soon as i turn the wheel it start to come out again..I've tried everything is there anything from this picture someone could suggest im at a loss and i really need my bike for to get to and from work becuase i work at night so there is no public transport and we all know taxis are a rip off at night ;)

http://i.imgur.com/JGb8iUE.jpg

personally i would take the wheel off, take it all apart, inspect for problems, and re-assemble before trying to get it back on the bike.

It was one of the suggestions from the frist page that i tried..i cant see anything that is causing this problem..Thank you for the suggestion though

looks to me like you have lost a spacer that goes between one side of the wheel and the swinging arm the spacer could be from either side

was just going to say that , ive just had my wheels off for tyre change and powder coating, my brother was laughing his head off because i was loosing my rag because i couldnt line up the rear. anyway turns out i had the spacers the wrong way round and the sprocket side had a wider one about an inch and a half wide. yours matey looks like its not there it should be pretty noticeable. :)