Polishing polycarbonate screen

m312

I've decided to start using the windscreen my bike originally came with, as I'm doing more motorway miles at the moment. It seems to have developed a few large scratches while in storage :roll: which I would like to polish out. The screen manufacturer has confirmed it is a polycarbonate screen, which I understand is coated to protect it from scratches and moisture entering the material.

I've been doing a bit of googling and people quote a wide variety of ideas, some I think are plain crazy and others may have merit.

I think I'm going to try a couple of suggestions in the lower corners of the screen until I'm happy, but I wondered if anyone on here has experience of polishing polycarb screens, and has any useful tips or advice before I start?

Any help gratefully received!

This stuff below suppose to be brilliant but l have to say after buying tons of gear over the years l have been shown the light by our good Busa friends in the States and now use good old pledge it awesome!!

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic_Polish

I've copied the description from the page.

Everything you need to polish and keep plastics clean, remove scratches from plastics, bond or glue plastic pieces together. Lenzsaver headlight lens cleaner now available!

Novus Plastic Polish #1 or Brillianize Polish are Plexiglass Cleaners and plastic polishes for daily maintenance of your Plexiglass items - a MUST have for every home or office.

Novus Plastic Polish #2 is a plastics scratch remover and plexiglass scratch remover. It is for scratch maintenance of your Plexiglas items - this will reduce or eliminate most scuff-type abrasions on the surface and even help restore convertible windows and scuffs on your car finish. Not for polycarbonate.

Novus #3 has a higher abrasive solution for removing or reducing the toughest scratches on acrylic plastics. It must be followed with Novus #2 to restore the best luster. May be used on convertible windows as well. Not for use on Lexan polycarbonate.

Note: scratches so deep that your fingernail gets stuck may be too deep for Novus to restore. Check out the Buffing Wheels in our Tools area.

I've copied the description from the page.

Everything you need to polish and keep plastics clean, remove scratches from plastics, bond or glue plastic pieces together. Lenzsaver headlight lens cleaner now available!

Novus Plastic Polish #1 or Brillianize Polish are Plexiglass Cleaners and plastic polishes for daily maintenance of your Plexiglass items - a MUST have for every home or office.

Novus Plastic Polish #2 is a plastics scratch remover and plexiglass scratch remover. It is for scratch maintenance of your Plexiglas items - this will reduce or eliminate most scuff-type abrasions on the surface and even help restore convertible windows and scuffs on your car finish. Not for polycarbonate.

Novus #3 has a higher abrasive solution for removing or reducing the toughest scratches on acrylic plastics. It must be followed with Novus #2 to restore the best luster. May be used on convertible windows as well. Not for use on Lexan polycarbonate.

Note: scratches so deep that your fingernail gets stuck may be too deep for Novus to restore. Check out the Buffing Wheels in our Tools area.

Thanks Deso - I noticed that myself when I looked at the page.

Anyone have ideas for a polycarbonate screen?!

not sure if it will work on polycarbonate,but believe it or not toothpaste will take minor scratches out of glass.i have used toothpaste to remove small scratches from my aquarium tanks with good results,maybe something you could try in an area where it would not be noticeable,but do not use in a circular motion,just follow scratch in a straight line very gently

Update

I have had a go, and it's loads better now. I got rid of the major scratches, and it's polished up quite nicely. I'm not 100% happy with it - mainly because I want it perfect and it isn't. There are too many areas where my inexperience has not produced a good enough result, but overall I'm very glad I did it.

I started on an out of the way area, using wet and dry 800 grade, then went on to 1200 grade, then 1500 grade. At this point it did look very cloudy, but I was expecting this. I then used rubbing compound to do the first step of polishing. At this point I found that I had to rinse and repeat about three or four times to achieve an acceptable finish. The final step was a polish with Turtle Wax, at which point I was mighty relieved as the shine came back properly. This also leaves it with a nice smooth feel which repels water very well.

I'm wishing I'd taken before during and after photo's, but at least I now know I can do it again if needed.

Just thought I'd let people know who were interested, and thanks to those who commented. I would point out to anyone who has a scratched screen, that I am a complete novice at this, and my DIY skills are not advanced. If you're in doubt, have a go as I didn't find it that hard, just time consuming.

I used autoglym glass polish on my goldwing screen - to be fair, it was an '86 bike with a mega cloudy screen so it was a shot to nothing but it came up really well - I could see through it and everything! Even in the dark with headlight glare it was good. I topped it off with mer polish and it was grand. No idea if it was polycarbonate though, I didn't check before I got down to business.

Also, what is it with the US bods and their pledge? Are they criminally lazy or something...? :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at fart in rochdale they're called frost auto restoration techniques and they do mail order. They carry a polish for plastic car rear screens on convertibles, plastic light lenses just can't remember what it's called but it's fab I've used it myself on alsorts in the house and car etc.