What is the biggest hazard on the road as a biker?

Glorian

<t>Which is the biggest hazard in your opinion?</t>  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the biggest hazard in your opinion?

• Black / Normal ice.
    • Snow
    • Heavy rain
    • Ferocious winds
    • Bad drivers (cars,bikes,vans etc)
    • Oil
    • Potholes
    • Other (Please say below)

I'm not saying every driver is but I take it that every driver is a complete idiot and is going to make the most dangerous move :crybaby: The reason for that is quite simple, if they don't do it you can take it as a result :oops: So the consensus that you are your own biggest hazard would get my vote for that reason :thumb: I know there are many different opinions and nearly all can be a hazard with justice but you are in control of yourself not everybody else and take it they will do the dumbest thing going and you'll stand a better chance of keeping out of trouble :thumb:

John

Arrogance, and a total belief that if you have a collision or even an incident, that it is automatically the other parties fault.

Whether it's another road user, a horse rider, or a lorry driver dropping diesel, if the motorcyclist acts or reacts differently RTCs are usually avoidable, and rarely inevitable.

OIL!!!

I am surprised :shock: by the responses.

All the rest you 'normally' expect to encounter when out on your bike however, oil spills are often not visible and therefore unexpected.

I ride with the mind-set that everyone is out there trying to kill me so, that covers bad drivers; ice etc. is always going to be there in cold conditions, wind is obvious by just observation, etc, etc. But OIL.........

As for other unexpected options which are not listed:

Alien encounters;

Road Rage;

Bird strikes;

Japanese build standards.

to name but a few!

:popcorn:

I voted other vehicles just because of the unpredictability factor, but really as a learner i guess it's all of the above!

Speaking of being a learner, i'll add my L-Plates to the list, these things are bloody lethal.

Frankly i get treated like a piece of crap on two wheels. Every day i get cut up, have people pull out in front of me, not giving way to me when i have right of way etc etc. I'm sure is the L's making them think i'm slow and unsure or something. Anyway, can't wait to get them off.

Voted oil myself, you can account for the others to some degree, oil is almost invisible and most the time you think it's water, or it's where you least expect it. Black ice is usually more noticeable and you can tell when it's likely to be around due to weather.

I cant vote as my mobile doesnt show the full site :-(

But I really dont like horse shite plus flies that have recently fed on the horse shite going inside my lid !

it should make no difference if your on mobile or not :|

I voted from my mobile!

are you using tapatalk or a mobile browser?

I'd say its how we as humans actually learn, its all about the size of the increments or steps towards improving you have to be disciplined with, you know font try to run before you can walk ;)

But agree biggest hazard and only thing you can control is yourself.

Thats what i was trying to say.

Maybe not the biggest hazard but horse shit really winds me up if my dog did a little poo an I didnt pick it up I would be fined yet a horse dumps a massive hazzard on the road an thats ok.

Jesus Christ not this again, so horse shit presents a bigger hazard than anything else - are horse riders supposed to carry a binbag around with them for the few times their horses might leave a deposit on the road?? Out of choice 99% of riders would choose not to be on the roads because of idiot drivers. So how on earth do you cope with wet leaves/mud/gravel/potholes??

I encounter horse riders on the way home all the time - got no problem with them, always a very smiley lot.

And after the mud patches, fuel spills, countless manhole covers, and chunks of missing road that litter the fens... at least horse crap has the decency to be an instantly recognisable shade of yellow! :lol:

Cow poo is worse!!

Where I grew up there was a road we used to call "cowpat canyon". So called because it was always smothered in cow pats.

We used to dare each others to ride down the hill and through cowpat canyon at top speed on our BMXs. Inevitably one of us would slip off on the stuff and then be laughed at by the other lads until we got home and got slung in the shower by our mums!!

Horse poo is like little tennis balls - great for chucking at your mates during a poo fight ;)

Maybe not the biggest hazard but horse shit really winds me up if my dog did a little poo an I didnt pick it up I would be fined yet a horse dumps a massive hazzard on the road an thats ok.

Jesus Christ not this again, so horse shit presents a bigger hazard than anything else - are horse riders supposed to carry a binbag around with them for the few times their horses might leave a deposit on the road?? Out of choice 99% of riders would choose not to be on the roads because of idiot drivers. So how on earth do you cope with wet leaves/mud/gravel/potholes??

Didnt say it presented a bigger hazard than anything just it was a hazard, an ye horse riders should carry a bag an a shovel or maybe just maybe ride there chuffing horses in fields, I agree why do they want to ride on roads I wouldn't

Will agree with the above.

If a dog owner doesnt clean up after their dog they get smacked with a fine, so why should horse riders be any different? especially on the road. I don't want to be riding at night and slice through some horse shit and have it all over my engine, the same way i dont want to walk through dog shit.

More an annoyance to me than a hazard

dog shit and horse shit are very different substances!

Dogshit is nasty digested meats, whereas horse shit is nothing but digested plant material - its a great fertilizer and really is not very harmful to humans, whereas dog shit can send children blind.

There is no difference betwen riding through mud (decomposed plant material) and riding through horse shit.

Keep your eyes open ride round it, and stop moaning!

if it wasnt for horses, we wouldnt have roads...

If you never push the boundrys you will never know just how good you are.

A strange response in my opinion. What's wrong with just going out for a ride without constantly having to push the boundarys of what's physically possible on a bike? Just enjoy the ride instead of testing yourself all the time.

Biggest threat to bikers is taking corners too quickly.

if it wasnt for horses, we wouldnt have roads...

Very true.

I'd say the main problem, however, is there's not really any way to stop it from happening.

Horse nappies? Shovel sized poopascoops?

Arrogance, and a total belief that if you have a collision or even an incident, that it is automatically the other parties fault.

Whether it's another road user, a horse rider, or a lorry driver dropping diesel, if the motorcyclist acts or reacts differently RTCs are usually avoidable, and rarely inevitable.

:lol:

I'd say the main problem, however, is there's not really any way to stop it from happening.

There is.

Theres some kind of horse riding school nearby where I live and their horses always seem to have a bag attached to the back of them. Clearly the device to stop it happening exists, most just cant be arsed using it.

http://www.horsenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/bun-bag-dapple.png

Anyone who lived in the country and cant deal with horse poo on the road is like the idiots who move next door to a airport and then complain about the noise. if you cant handle a bit of poo on the roads, move to the city!!