Mixing tyres

Mr Fro

The time has come again when I need to start thinking about getting some new rubber.

I've been replacing them in pairs with the OEM bridgestones until now but fancy the Pilot Power 3.

The rear is a bit squared but the front is in pretty good shape so I'm considering changing just the back for now.

What are your thoughts on having different brands/age tyres front and back on a sports bike?

I personally don't think its a good idea, its not something I've ever done.

How much could a possible accident cost compared to what around £100 quid for a tyre, I don't see the point. Confidence where tyres are concerned a lot of it is in the head every little slip you might blame on mixed brands.

Its not like the each tyre knows what the other tyre is doing, and for typical riding, so long as they are the correct size, I Dont think it would matter.

Maybe in the past when tyre quality varied considerably it made a difference, but these days they are so similar, the average rider can't tell the difference.

So unless

you plan to be leaning the bike right over and getting your knee down on every bend, you should be OK.

In fact I read somewhere that even if you replace one tyre with the identical model, the variations in age, and rubber compound from a different batch is the same as mixing tyres...

Unless you plan to be leaning the bike right over and getting your knee down on every bend, you should be OK.

Well, not every corner. ;-)

I agree with what everyone says, the front/rear properties of the same tyre model can vary quite a bit - the front I already have is nice and grippy but the back is prone to sliding if I give it the beans out of a corner. Therefore I'd be best off replacing the rear with a good 'un, no? :-s

Throw dual/tri compound technology and I'm even more confused!

Exactly! Each end of the bike has different requirements, so my view is that you can select the best tyre for each requirement even if that means different makes of tyre.

What tyres you got on there at the moment?

Most bikes I have ever owned have had mismatched tyres at some point, whether it be because I was skint or whatever.

I have never been able to tell the difference on any bike. I have however been able to tell the difference between a shagged tyre and a good one.

You always get horror stories about bad handling yet I'm yet to find anyone who has suffered this.

I've had mixed tyres on various bikes many times and I've never had any ill handling problems.

I have no issues or hesitation having different brands front/rear.

Got BT-014 on at the mo so they've got a few years on them. :-)

Sounds like most people would/do mix and match. Having seen just how old mine are I think I'll change them as a pair this time - especially seeing as it's been sitting in the same spot for a good while.

Can you even buy cross ply tyres anymore??

172 results on an Ebay search for crossply.

So that would seem to be an emphatic yes.

any in a size that will fit a modern bike? i doubt it... they are all for old antique bikes!

Can you even buy cross ply tyres anymore??

172 results on an Ebay search for crossply.

So that would seem to be an emphatic yes.

any in a size that will fit a modern bike? i doubt it... they are all for old antique bikes!

That wasn't what you asked but I think you'll find ContiGo will fit your bike if you really want to switch :lol:

ContiGo

Newly developed cross-ply tyre for all-round use.

Perfect grip under all weather conditions for all-year-round use.

Excellent mileage due to up-to-date compound technology.

Innovative tread pattern design for even wear and good water dispersement.

Improved carcass construction for easy handling and high stability.