Chains and carrying them around

Hey guys and gals,

I need a new chain(s) to lock up the bike. Currently have a ground anchor in current garage, so either need a chain that can go through that and be transportable on a Thundercat, or 2 chains (1 for the ground anchor and 1 to take on the bike).

Currently have an alarm/immobilizer on the bike and an Oxford Titan disc lock, but really feel a chain is a no-brainer.

How do you transport a chain as well on bikes like this? My only thought is putting under the seat, but feel this may take me down the 2 chain route...

My thoughts are to use an Oxford HD chain or Oxford barrier for out and about and an Oxford Hardcore XL with the ground anchor.

It's tempting to get a hefty one for out and about but after 140 miles with an Oxford Monster on my back this weekend I would happily downsize a bit or go for a disc lock.

Very unlikely you will be able to chain a bike to something when out and about unless you already know a spot with railings. Good quality disc lock is the way to go. Does the same job as a chain round the back wheel.

If they want it, they will get it, unfortunately.

Had the disc lock years so OK with that one!

Fully aware if they want it, they will get it.

Looks like hefty chain may be the best option for home.

I have an Oxford Titan disc lock atm. Would you recommend upgrading it?

The alarm goes off on the bike if you so much as have a breeze blow on it...

My advice is always the same.

park it where YOU can see it and YOU can hear it. Or - if thats not possible, try to avoid parking it in the same place day-in day-out. if you can park it a little off the beaten track.. so its not seen by 'passing traffic' all the better.

Always be aware of followers. if you at all suspect you are being followed. take a small diversion - just to be sure. rather safe than sorry. bear in mind that 'professionals' tend to employ spotters with a list of bikes to steal.. They want to know where you park it. they want to know where you live.

I also think its a good reason for being friendly with the neighbours.. They're more likely to react - even if its only calling the police if you've made your fears known to them. A little white lie - 'somebody tried to steal my bike the other night....' helps a lot with that.

never - ever leave your keys anywhere that is visible within your home. so.. never in the hallway. or kitchen table. For a thief. getting the bike is good.. getting the bike PLUS its keys is bloody fantastic.

Cheers guys,

It's a fairly quiet and nice neighborhood but you never know....

Will be moving soon, so looking for a garage actually attached to the house (but hey, it's out of sight for thieves atm)

If I am out and about, likely either going to be parking in town, or at a relative/mate who is fairly well tucked out the way or in a nice area.

I just use an aldi chain and put it in gear when I'm out and about. Also try to park semi out of sight but never too far from where i can hear any unusual noise. Anyone with the tools to remove basic security or man power to lift into a vam will be taking the bike no matter what you do. I do enough to keep the local scruffs off it which means make it hard to just roll awat. A bike stolen to order will go no matter what you do even if they have to wait to mug you. It's a shitty world.

At home it's an alarmed garage and ground anchor.

Disc lock goes everywhere so it always has that and the alarm/immobiliser built in. The alarm hurts my ears so any grotty teenagers will hopefully be put off by it.

Think I will get the Oxford Hardcore XL for when it's in the garage with a ground anchor and something like an Oxford Barrier or Oxford GP if they will fit under the seat of the Thundercat. I'm sure they will put off the average bugger who would try wheel it away, but I imagine even a £200 chain will be useless if it's a determined thief.

They'll just lift it into a van or a flatbed if its that's desirable. I think you just got to make peace with the fact its scarily easy to nick a motorbike.

...........and don't ride with the chain draped over you. If you have an off, you'll end up with a series of broken ribs following the line where the chain was.

Sorry Dreamy - I tried something like this once and hated it. If your chain is any decent size/weight, the whole thing bounces all over the place if you so much as look at a bump. Having ~10kg sloshing about that high up and far back mid corner isn't the greatest plan... :shock:

I will be renewing my insurance tonight/tomorrow for the next yr and would like to make it cheaper as moving to SE London has more than doubled insurance for my 125! Having a chain with me isn't an issue for my current bike cos I have a toss box, but I doubt I will want that kind of massive eyesore on my next bike when I upgrade hopefully in the next few months! :lol:

My questions to add to this thread:

1. Do any decent chains fit under seats?

2. That pillion lock bag seems like a great idea - Mr Fro, is there no way of making the bag tighter and securing it really well to stop it sloshing about when riding? Anyone else had experience with these?

3. Most recommended locks? Preferably with a decent length that are under £100? (I will check other threads on this too, I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times!). I already have a disc lock btw but they aren't the best deterrent...

Fankmoo in advance. :mrgreen:

Mooooomin, If you're thinking of under seat space on a Ninja - forget about it, there's just about enough space for a pack of smokes! :-)

I guess the chain bag might work better if the chain was really tight in it and the bag was fixed really tightly to the seat but for a sports bike it's always going to jiggle about because the suspension is so firm.

I wonder if slotting the chain down a bit of PVC pipe fixed to the frame would work...

Mooooomin, If you're thinking of under seat space on a Ninja - forget about it, there's just about enough space for a pack of smokes! :-)

I guess the chain bag might work better if the chain was really tight in it and the bag was fixed really tightly to the seat but for a sports bike it's always going to jiggle about because the suspension is so firm.

I wonder if slotting the chain down a bit of PVC pipe fixed to the frame would work...

Omg, I love these DIY alternatives!!!! It isn't an issue yet, so will look into it when I have that big bike...will have to do a topic on all the different sh1t I tried :lol: or you could beat me to it, save me the hassle?! Hahaha! :lol: :mrgreen:

Chain in a chain pillion bag with a towel wrapped around it? :?: mebbe could work...

The old bike courier remedy is whats needed here. Go to Halfrauds and buy 4 cans of grey primer aerosol. Just spray the WHOLE bike matt grey, including tyres and exhaust.

You can leave the keys in, NO BODY will ever steal it.

:popcorn:

The old bike courier remedy is whats needed here. Go to Halfrauds and buy 4 cans of grey primer aerosol. Just spray the WHOLE bike matt grey, including tyres and exhaust.

You can leave the keys in, NO BODY will ever steal it.

:popcorn:

need to alert the DVLA that the colour of the bike has changed to primer grey!

I'm liking the drainpipe cable tied to the side of the bike. The ER6 has pitiful space under the seat. If im going anywhere i need to chain it, I usually have a rucksack.

I'm liking the drainpipe cable tied to the side of the bike.

I will be marketing this ingenious device as the "Fro Tube". Cost: £49.99 :-)

Now how do I file a patent...

• 1 month later...

I can vouch for the Oxford Hardcore. I always carry it with me in a backpack (it's not the XL version) and I find something to tie the bike to. Even if I just put it around the frame it will deter some bellend who wants to just ride off on it.