Absolute disaster

No one said it would be easy. So the good lady wife caught the 'ooh, this could be fun' bug last year after I got my licence and fell in love again with all things two wheeled. We had a proper talk about what her achieving licence would mean and what what we could do together when she was properly licences. Weekends away, Northern Europe, double bike trailer behind the Motorhome and all the wonderful experiences it would bring a married couple in their 40's.

In order to get some miles under her belt she of course did CBT and I found and bought a YBR Custom for her. Perfect. She did theory and passed that easily.

Got a few miles under her belt, paid for a local trainer to give one to one lesson on the 125. Still going well. Signed up for mod1 training with the first training yesterday. Disaster. She had a decent off after a generous fistful of front brake on a right turn and went down pretty hard. I wasn't there but turned up at the end of the training on my bike to find a quivering wreck of a wife and an expensive bill for repairs to the bike. She had rode to the training on her YBR and had to ride it the 15 miles back home afterwards. That was the worst experience of my biking career to date, her bike was physically shaking in line with her own shakes.

Was the dutiful husband, reassurances abound, it happens, better off road than on, that's why you're training, don't worry about the repair costs, get back on the horse etc. I managed to convince her through the tears that she should sleep on it and talk again tomorrow.

Well tomorrow is today and the tears are still flowing and confidence is shattered.

So we have reached a compromise that allows us to continue jointly enjoying biking. We are selling the YBR (correctly placed details will be in the right section of the forum shortly) and we will change my bike for something pillion friendly and still hopefully enjoy all the previous dreams together albeit astride the same bike. I'm thinking V Strom.

Gutted.

Gutting for her. I would still be pressing her for another try of getting on the horse though. We all have times when we wonder why the hell we're doing it and then we just get those days when the weather is perfect, the roads are clear and you've nothing else planned and things just feel so right.

Just one day isn't enough and I'd give her a week or two and go for a quiet ride out somewhere with her for a few hours, it's been proven that we can't stay scared for much longer than half an hour at a time or so and you settle. It'll do wonders for her confidence and she'll become much more stubborn and determined for it.

Now that she's been in control of it, she will hate being pillion too.

Sorry to hear about your wife's off......but most of us have had them and the best medicine is to get straight back on.

What caused the off if you don't mind me asking?

Seems a bit too early to be giving up to me too. Sounds like its the Mod 1 exercises more than the riding thats putting her off and they can take time and a few spills to master. Thats why riding school bikes have engine crash bars after all. If the cost difference isn't much then it'd be worth her learning on their bike - less worry about binning it which could take off some of the pressure.

Must admit I'm mildly narked at the school for putting her on a nearly new 650 bike with no bobbins or engine guards. Went from her YBR to the 650 straight away. That said I won't point a finger of accusation, she must have shown enough capability for them to seem the 500 could be skipped. But it's a mind made up. The end of the road has been reached. She's put the shutters up on further training sadly so if anyone wants the best 2011 YBR Custom about, have a look in the for sale section. Ps - I'm going nowhere, I love it! No big deal really, she tried, I won't keep nagging her to continue we have a life to live after all and I need my lunch made!

so sorry to hear the missus is not going to go any further with her riding. but you will love riding 2 up. my wife has problems with arthritis and other problems which means she can't physically ride her own bike, but we love riding 2 up, we have intercoms and we (she) talk and talk and talk ( :blah: ).

not sure what type of bikes you like but the BMW R1200RT is fab, not to heavy, lots of luggage space, great engine and i'm told the new model is even better.

ride safe and above all both of you have fun.

Unluck buddy, hope your good lady is alright!

If she's anything like mine (a stubborn old sod) she might come around of her own accord once she's spent a bit of time on the back of yours. :-)

time is a good healer, you never know in a year she may want to give it another go as she meets more female bikers who have kissed the tarmac rather hard. just enjoy riding together until this change happens. hope she is ok.

Why the 'expensive bill for repairs' ???

It was a training school bike. Surely that's why you have to pay so much, to cover insurance etc. If they hadn't put bars/bungs on it, they hadn't prepared the bike to be used in training. The bike I used (an XJ6) had a veritable cage around the engine - which bore lots of evidence of drops, even before I added another two.....No charge to me whatsoever.

She may decide to have another go when the memory fades a bit.

Enjoy two - up rides in the meantime.....of course on the plus side for her, the pillion gets to have the pints!! :cheers:

Sorry to read about your wife, maybe give her a few days.

I chucked a total melt down last week as a passinger after my cbt test took me three days to get back on.

Best thing I did, hope she feels better soon. But never say never!

Thanks for all your support and kind words. The YBR has been sold, that didn't take long! Our silver lining is that it has made Lisa a more biker aware driver and has a refreshed and much improved knowledge of the road thanks to the theory test. Live and learn. Emphasis on live.

That is a huge shame, but can totally understand the blow to her confidence! It is a big step up from 125 to 650, I dropped my 650 at home before I had even passed my test! It was gutting but made me aware of just how much extra power it had (was riding it on my yard and slipped on some moss).

Has she 100% made her mind up or would she perhaps consider carrying on with a less powerful bike? There is no shame to taking a test on a smaller engined bike. Anyway hope she enjoys it whatever she decides :cheers:

A real shame it's knocked her confidence so much, I hope shes doing ok now.

She may come round eventually in time and want to try again, but I'll tell you, I'm currently doing my DAS. I did a day for my CBT on a GN125. Whilst practicing U-turns in the small training space, I took the turn too wide, panicked seeing the oncoming wall, forgot to pull the clutch in and ended up scraping the bike down the wall lol! It was fine, just a few scuffs hehe :) Just felt like a wally in front of the other 3 guys scooter training :oops: All was good after that and I thoroughly enjoyed myself riding around the roads and passed the CBT.

I had about an hour the next day on the 125 to get back into the feel of it, then went straight up to the XJ6. It's got huge crash bars on and the price includes CDW (Crash damage waiver). When I first got on it, I was quite nervous as I couldn't plant both feet flat. I was fine riding around the car park, but as I went to stop I panicked and put both feet out but the bike just went over. Footpeg snapped. After that I was ok that day, just felt like a wally again.

Next lesson was about 3 weeks after as I had it spread across paydays. This time we had a guy with us going for his mod 1. I felt a little nervous as I hadn't been on the bike for 3 weeks and had only done a few hours on it but we went straight out onto the roads with me in the lead. Got to the first right turn and I dropped the revs on the turn and laid it down again. Footpeg Snapped again! After that I was ok again, just felt like a big wally again!

Next lesson, Mod 1 training. U-turn, first one I tried... Laid it down again! Footpeg snapped again! Then again later practicing in a car park, Laid it down again.. this time the footpeg didn't snap! Phew :) lol

My instructor said that it's good that I've not been put off and said that I'm "Quietly Determined." I ended up passing Mod 1 (4th time lucky!) after some silly little mistakes, and only need to get this Mod 2 out the way now. I know reading this probably won't make her any likely to change her decision, but maybe she'll find a little comfort knowing that she's not the first and definitely not the last to drop/lay/crash the bike on lessons. :)

Aww, a real shame this happened but i guess in a way its best for this to happen the way it did, at least she didn't physically hurt herself, and like you said "better off road than on," and imagine if it happened while in Europe somewhere.

Every time i hear about or see someone come off I wonder if i'd get back on in that situation since I already admit i'm not the most confident rider, it certainly wouldn't do me any good. Every single one of my friends who's owned a bike has fell off and injured themselves at some point and only 1 of them has ever bought another bike.

Aww, a real shame this happened but i guess in a way its best for this to happen the way it did, at least she didn't physically hurt herself, and like you said "better off road than on," and imagine if it happened while in Europe somewhere.

Every time i hear about or see someone come off I wonder if i'd get back on in that situation since I already admit i'm not the most confident rider, it certainly wouldn't do me any good. Every single one of my friends who's owned a bike has fell off and injured themselves at some point and only 1 of them has ever bought another bike.

I suppose it depends how determined you are. It's always a shock to have any accident and even just dropping the bike can be a gutting feeling - but I dropped mine so many times it was a case of wondering if the next ride would be a drop-free one :lol: . I have to say though every time I dropped it (and a few times it landed on me) my first thought was how much damage I'd done to the bike, second was did anyone see, third was how am I going to get this thing up - never once did I worry about myself. Well, except for last year when I broke my leg - but my first thought was still the gutting feeling of seeing a bit of broken fairing and a dent on the frame!

And yes I'm still riding :mrgreen:

Well, I've had my first accident, and not long after getting my CBT. I wasn't travelling very fast but was in the wet and didn't spot the pot hole filled with water... skip forward a couple of seconds to me, a nice dent in a parked car, and a scooter that just got it's quote for £2600 of repairs (definitely beyond economical).

Either which way, I'm still going to get back on a bike... But I feel like I'll be far too cautious when I do get back on a bike for the first day or two... But I'm a really determined (really stupid) 18 year old... I haven't quite grasped the concept of fear.

Cheers!

Rahul

I can relate to your situation, and if it's any consolation you're a better husband than me!

A couple of months ago my wife and I decided to go down the DAS route together, and although she was keen enough the initial impetus was from me. Anyway, she went down hard on her first road ride on the big bike. Pouring rain, tight corner and slippery as hell. The bike went over, she hung on and landed on her shoulder with the bike on her leg.

That evening I got the inevitable negativity about the whole thing, and how she wasn't interested in carrying on. My response wasn't 'exactly' Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's spiel about quitting and getting the f*** off the obstacle, but the gist was the same. She said that when she fell off it really hurt, to which I asked what the hell she expected it to feel like. I even trotted out that Ali quote about getting knocked down being far less important than getting back up again.

Anyway, probably sounds a bit harsh, but she does have a tendency to default to 'quit mode' when things go wrong. By the next morning she had decided to complete the training, and after a couple more minor drops during the Mod 1 training and a replacement clutch lever she's now a better rider than me, and is loving every minute of it!

• 1 month later...

I feel a bit better after reading this thread.

I had a total melt down yesterday during my mod1 training after dropping/falling off the bike twice practising u turns! I was fine the first time, then I over thought it. All the other maveouvers were fine. It just totally knocked my confidence. I came away wondering if I made a big mistake going through all of this.

Feeling better todday, and going back tomorrow for more trainng before my test on Thursday. I'm sure I will crack it. :oops:

I haven't quite grasped the concept of fear.

Rahul

Isen't that the point of most bikers? :mrgreen:

I'm not having a go here but....

There is nothing wrong with fear......It's only a bad thing if the fear controls you.....The late great James Hunt used to puke up before every race....

A controlled fear helps keep you alive, it improves your decision making abilities etc.

It's those who say they have no fear that put the bike down the road due to not allowing the controlled fear to tell them they are barrelling too fast in to a bend etc.

Not a rant just some common sense.....