<t>How often do you go above the speed limits on your bike</t>  

50 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you go above the speed limits on your bike

• Never
    • Now and then
    • Half the rides I'm on
    • Regularly
    • Every ride

Staying in the lower gear was their suggestion to help avoid speeding.

Then they are idiots and are out of touch with modern vehicles IMO.

Lower gears makes the vehicle much more responsive to tiny throttle movements meaning its very easy to creep over the limit.

My S1000RR, like most sports bikes will easily break the national speed limit in 1st gear. Do they expect me to ride round in 1st gear all the time??

Leave a litre bike like an S1000RR in third and see how hard it is to maintain 30mph... Just the slightest movement of the throttle will cause the bike to accelerate...

And read the last two paragraphs of this:

http://www.iam-bristol.org.uk/index.php ... 4&Itemid=1

At 30mph that gear should always be no higher than third!

In built up areas Advanced Drivers will often be in second gear at 30mph!

In icy conditions, in a rear wheel drive car, you do not want to be in 2nd gear at 30mph!

Seems they are all at it!!

RoSPA website says 30 in 3rd too...

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advicea ... -gear.aspx

These kinds of rules scare me as people take them as gospal and ignore the vehicles capabilities and road conditions...

I'm sure everyone in my village will love me as I come thundering through the high street at 7am at 30 in 3rd/2nd with my silly exhaust on.

Yeah but, if you're only on one wheel, you have to half the speedo reading as only half the bike is speeding on the public highway... If you can get airborne you're not even on the highway so can go as fast as you like...... Allegedly...

you joke, but if you come off your bike whilst going through a speed camera, you can get out of a speeding ticket. I can't remember why, but someone with a good lawyer made the papers for that one. Probably something to do with him the fact he wasn't technically "driving/riding" it at the time

My blade wont work in 2nd at 30mph! (in fact at the moment it wont work at all)

Do they not realize that, a normal sports bike will stop in half the distance a car will? so really we should be doing 60 in a 30 and 140 on the motorway.? is that right :cheers:

My blade wont work in 2nd at 30mph! (in fact at the moment it wont work at all)

Do they not realize that, a normal sports bike will stop in half the distance a car will? so really we should be doing 60 in a 30 and 140 on the motorway.? is that right :cheers:

Actually not true

One of the magazines did a test bike v car they also used bikes with and without abs

The bike without abs actually stopped quicker than the rest but we are talking a few feet if your lucky :-)

Thanks for the responde all.

Have to say "my friend" ;) is guilty of speeding on a regular occasions and on particular roads at particular times and conditions, going above and beyond.

It's nice to do and is part of the freedom of bikes. However I think the solution for my friend will be to get a track bike and do over a ton on that appose to the public highways, for many reasons.

The consequences now of being caught over a ton, or causing an accident are so high. job on the line, licence on the line... Can have such an impact.

The scaremongering has got to me!

Shame though as nearly every biker I've been out with, including instructors, Police friends etc all do the same, almost like an unwritten rule... Aw it's ok.

A bike can be fun without doing a ton plus. I used to have so much fun ragging the shit out of my 125, and now with the Fazer, if I rag the shit out of it, well matter of time before licence goes.... And I do pick my moments with speed, like many of you, but you know what it's like cameras everywhere unmarked traffic officers cars/bikes.

:(