Tyres for Yamaha Thundercat

clashfan83

Hi all

I need new tyres for my Yamaha Thundercat 600. Any recommendations? I never take it on the track (and am never likely to).

Also my MOT advisory was that the rear tyre valve stem is slightly damaged, should I get this sorted before I get them fitted?

Many thankies :)

I recommend Pilot Road 4 (or 3 at a pinch). I use them and they are really very good.

Don't worry about the valve stem, this will be replaced when the new tyre is fitted.

what type of riding will you be doing?

if your not flying around like a loon then I will bet you will be fine with a touring tyre so buy a set that fits your budget

you probably wont see the difference if your not trying for knee down everywhere :wink:

+1 for the Pilot Road 3.

Just had a set fitted on my XJ6 and the bike feels so much better around corners than it ever did with the original BT021's

while a few people are saying the pilot road 3 I would bother personally

they will be overkill for your riding style and at the price of them they aren't cheap

take a look at some of the continentals or even maxxis

maxxis are up and coming and are cheap I know people who ride like a loon with maxxis and have no bother and they are pretty cheap or they was last time I looked

depends what maxxis ya get :lol:

ive heard of some getting 8 - 10k out of a rear

personally I would say depends on your mileage too as I would want to be changing my tyres at least every other year as they can crack with age as we know especially when laid up over winter

I would rather wear a cheaper set down in 2 years than throw a decent expensive set because they where cracking etc :)

they is a lot to think about really to weigh up the cost and only the OP can do that

I can't see the point of buying the latest, all singing-all dancing tyres

if you're not going to use them to their full potential!!

Years ago I'd only buy Metzelers! more recently Bridgestones,

I was skint last time I needed tyres so got Avons £50 odd cheaper a pair

than Bridgestones!

I've had no trouble at all! They're really good!

Problem with the PR3's is that they look like you ride like a grandma. They just Dont seem to want to look worn.

Its odd you should say that because mine do.

I've only done a few hundred miles on mine. Also I think the traction control on my BMW makes the power delivery smoother so I dont scrub the sides as much accelerating out of bends. Interesting to see how they cope with nice warm summer road temperatures.