auto off switch

mealexme

more of an electrical question than a bike related one, but I'm putting a charger on the bike for my phone/gps and planning on wiring it into the ignition system somewhere so it turns off when I shut the bike off.

But... I want a switch which I can use to switch between the 'ignition' and a direct line to the battery. Sounds simple so far? A simple rocker switch? How about one with a "default" setting on 'ignition', so if I accidentally leave the switch on 'battery' for a few hours, the next time I turn the bike on, it will revert back to 'ignition' so it won't drain the battery over the next few days?

Is this possible with a simple switch, or is it something that can only be done with programmable hardware?

Not sure about auto switching but a simple double pole double throw switch will do it, centre contacts to the charger, one end to the battery and one end to the ignition. You could wire in a telltale led so when it is set to battery there is an led showing so you don't forget.

more of an electrical question than a bike related one, but I'm putting a charger on the bike for my phone/gps and planning on wiring it into the ignition system somewhere so it turns off when I shut the bike off.

But... I want a switch which I can use to switch between the 'ignition' and a direct line to the battery. Sounds simple so far? A simple rocker switch? How about one with a "default" setting on 'ignition', so if I accidentally leave the switch on 'battery' for a few hours, the next time I turn the bike on, it will revert back to 'ignition' so it won't drain the battery over the next few days?

Is this possible with a simple switch, or is it something that can only be done with programmable hardware?

its doable with a relay and momentary push switch to create a "Latch" circuit.

its doable with a relay and momentary push switch to create a "Latch" circuit.

Beat me to it Joeman!

I wouldn't don't like that though... I'd still want it to switch off after a period of time, so I'd build a simple circuit to keep the power on 20mins maybe?

buy a charging port that doesnt have a light on it wire straight to the battery

it will only draw power when something is plugged in

are you really going to leave a gadget plugged in plus it will stop drawing power when the gadget is fully charged!

your complicating matters :wink:

Might be wrong but...

I was looking to connect a charger for my sat nav. If you relay it to the headlight in the fuse box then it only comes on when the head lights are on. I always keep my head lights on so that would work no?

buy a charging port that doesnt have a light on it wire straight to the battery

it will only draw power when something is plugged in

are you really going to leave a gadget plugged in plus it will stop drawing power when the gadget is fully charged!

your complicating matters :wink:

I probably am. But I've always been told chargers still draw current when the phone is charged, which is why you should always unplug them. I also don't want to forget the phone is on charge when I turn the ignition off.

Personally i'd just wire to a switched live. If you want to get fancy you could always buy a car towing charging relay (assuming you have a 12v system) and then that would switch on supply direct from battery when the engine is running and the battery is being charged.

Keep it simple i say, less to go wrong :P