Possible redundancies :(

asharin

We've all been told that our job is at risk, 3 of us have to go.

Now we can volunteer for redundancy, or if the company has work in another area we can transfer. Or we can tkae redundancy.

I've been there 9 years and if I was to take redundancy I'd get around 3k, not a lot mind lol however as I hate the job and am already looking for another I'm tempted to take that option.

However what if I can't get another job in that time?

Would you risk it? The 3k would come in handy assuming I can get a new job lol

3k is shit for 9 years work, are you not in a union?

depends on the company your age and your wage!

you only get a weeks wage per year

And its capped I think...

No reward for staying with the same company, and every time you move you take a payrise.

Every cloud has a silver lining so get your CV out there and hit the job market!! Great time of year to be looking :)

Personally, I'm 37 and I've never stayed anywhere longer than about 3years... Keep moving, keep reneweing your skills, and keep taking the payrises :)

We've all been told that our job is at risk, 3 of us have to go.

Now we can volunteer for redundancy, or if the company has work in another area we can transfer. Or we can tkae redundancy.

I've been there 9 years and if I was to take redundancy I'd get around 3k, not a lot mind lol however as I hate the job and am already looking for another I'm tempted to take that option.

I'd swipe the offer up. Like said above, sick days for interviews, you'll get a few, take the 3k and boom, into another job.

You get:

0.5 week’s pay for each full year worked when you’re under 22

1 week’s pay for each full year worked when you’re between 22 and 41

1.5 week’s pay for each full year worked when you’re 41 or older

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay

edit : add link

Pay per week is capped... So even if you got £5k per week you would only get redundancy of £464 for each year you've worked..

Pay per week is capped... So even if you got £5k per week you would only get redundancy of £464 for each year you've worked..

He's on 3k redundancy so is below the cap, I left it out to avoid confusion

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Could do with this like a hole in the head right now to be honest. Already have money worries, and the ex is again using the kids as a weapon.

You would have to think about how long 3k would last you without working - worst case scenario and all that.

Best bet right now would be to up date the ol' CV and then hammer the phones to mates, clients, similar companies and check out the potential to move straight across. If there is a job going THEN take the redundancy.

That being said, 3k is still a large redundancy for one person, and as you've been there 9 years, it might be that they decide to keep you on. How many others are affected?

Could do with this like a hole in the head right now to be honest. Already have money worries, and the ex is again using the kids as a weapon.

Whilst you still have a job, get a credit card with 0% balance transfer for 12 months. You Dont need to use it, but it will be there as a backup if the worst happens.

Always good to have access to reserve funds :)

You would have to think about how long 3k would last you without working - worst case scenario and all that.

That's true, in London £3000 would last me roughly 2 months before I ran out of money to pay for bills and food. If you think you can pull through 3 months or more then I say you should go for the pay as another job could be found within a few weeks. Get looking now!

If she's the over emotional sort I'm going to guess reason won't work and for hurting her she will take away something precious of yours? That's usually the standard script in these situations :(

Hard to think of a way around it, as with kids involved you can't just cut forever. If she's damaging your relationship with the kids I would try and offer the eldest some financial help, with school, food etc, and explain that the mothers threats mean a proper relationship isn't possible with her mediating it.

That would at least let you block all contact from her. Sounds harsh but it's probably for the best if that's her mentality :scratch:

I went through this at Christmas after 16 years working for the company!

I got quite a good deal in comparison.

One thing I did find out, was that assuming your request for the redundancy is accepted then you are entitled to time of for interviews.

Obviously not every afternoon for two weeks!!!

Very best of luck :D

Every full time employee is "allowed" reasonable time off for interviews. The reason nobody actually requests it formally is that companies rarely want to keep paying someone who clearly wants to leave :lol:

Its actually a handy tool to use as a manager, I tell everyone who works for me - if you get an interview for another role, no problem. I can let you have that morning or afternoon off. Provide me proof, and be prepared to discuss reasons why you are seeking other employment. If its personal or career development - then we can look at offering the same. If its money - then again, we can explore the options with no promises. I would rather my employees be open and honest with me. If they aren't happy working for me or the company, fine - we can work together and try to fix that. But if its not fixable - then its probably best that they move on.

We are getting 1 weeks pay for every year we were there, if I was over 41 I'd get 1 and a half weeks for every year after that. Once the redundancies are announced, those being made redundant will still have to stay another 12 weeks, however they have to allow us paid time off for interviews, and if we get a job that we have to start before the 12 weeks are up, we'll still get 40% of the wages due for the remaining time (so if I get a job in the first week I'm laughing lol)

I was already looking for a new job anyway in a different field, and to be honest, even if I wasn't gonna take the redundancy I'd still be looking, as I don't think the job security is there anymore. Can't see this place staying open for much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY CRAP!!! Moothinks I can help you!

I have recently switched careers - I am no longer a dental nurse, I am working as an inventory clerk for my dad's company, and I go to business networking meetings in 3 different locations in and around London. I have spoken to a guy about you since reading this thread. He can get you a WAY better deal! 3 months pay for 9 years is absolute BULLSHIT! He says companies take advantage of people who don't know any better and offer them the least possible. I know Rantmachine got an awesome deal from Jessops too despite the fact they were going into liquidation!

If anyone else knows anyone who has worked somewhere over 2 years in a similar situation, please drop me a message and I will pass on details to this guy (it counts as a 'referral' for me and I earn points for my dad's company). It has to be before a redundancy agreement is accepted though.

Apparently 2years+ working with a company you can earn a lot more out of a redundancy, also they can have to pay to re-train you to get another job! I am gonna PM you the guy's details - it doesn't cost a penny to enquire with him, and if he does end up helping you get more dosh (which I'm sure he can), the place you work for have to pay for his services too!

He told me the most he has ever got anyone is 2 years full pay + costs of retraining - but he said that isn't a typical example. He recently got someone who'd been working @ B&Q for a little over 2 years £5k + retraining fees.

Fingers crossed he is as good as he says he is - he can't get into the networking group without excellent references so I would trust him. Good luck :thumb:

Be careful. If you take voluntary instead of compulsory redundancy you cannot claim benefits for 6 months, so there must be a substantial amount of extra on the table to accept voluntary. If not make sure the company states it is a compulsory redundancy.