oil change query

kevh

hi guys im about to do an oil change on my virago that has a wet clutch and was wondering if its worth putting engine flush through it first iv always done it on car oil changes but never heard if anyone has done this on bikes i dont want to do it if it causes any problems i wouldnt thought it would but thought it worth asking

good question!

some people do, others dont...

I used engine flush on my GSXR with no problems, but ive heard others say it did cause them problems...

alternative is to flush with some cheaper oil first.

I would say yes, do it. Not done it personally but after some thought, it makes sense. Don't use engine flush just use as already said a cheap oil but make sure it'd the correct grade and api rating or you could see some clutch slip for a bit.

When I was still working in the trade the thought process was this....if you change the oil and filter at the correct intervals then you shouldn't need to flush the engine as most particles will have been collected by the filter and will come out with the old oil. The problem with flushing is that it can disturb larger particles which can then build up and block oilways thereby causing you a much bigger problem in the end.

Just my ten penneth...It's always up to the individual and if you ask ten people you are liable to get ten different opinions... :mrgreen:

No!

Engine flush is the worst thing ever!

It thins oil to break down all the crap and so it comes out

Running thin oil is basically running the bike on oil that's not to spec and won't give good protection whilst it's been run which can accelerate wear

Regular oil changes is more than enough to clean an engine out

Do not use flush

if youre buying a used bike and you dont know its history, i reckon a flushout's not a bad idea.

Make sure you get all the flush stuff out though else, as stu says, it would thin the oil.

if youre buying a used bike and you dont know its history, i reckon a flushout's not a bad idea.

Make sure you get all the flush stuff out though else, as stu says, it would thin the oil.

I disagree

Its a bad idea! you have to run the bike to get the flush around the flush thins the oil you will be running the bike with not enough protection and could do more damage also as acting strange says you can dislodge larger parts of buildup that can block oilways and starve an engine of oil

just a simple oil change with decent ish oil will do then in about 1k drop it and do it again!

what is the mileage of the bike and any history?

Don,t use flushing oil in a bike. Never needed it. Get engine fookin hot, drain oil for an hour, change oil filter, pour new oil in until fresh,clear oil drains out of sump bolt hole, refit bolt, fill with oil. If you,re worried about crud in engine. Remove sump plate and oil pickup from under gearbox. Clean crud, if any, from oil pick up and inside of sump plate. Replace sump plate and change oil.

Don,t use flushing oil in a bike. Never needed it. Get engine fookin hot, drain oil for an hour, change oil filter, pour new oil in until fresh,clear oil drains out of sump bolt hole, refit bolt, fill with oil. If you,re worried about crud in engine. Remove sump plate and oil pickup from under gearbox. Clean crud, if any, from oil pick up and inside of sump plate. Replace sump plate and change oil.

I'd add turn over the engine a few times after 15 mins or so to empty the oil pump and passages.

Wouldn't bother stripping the sump or anything else off though - never touched engine flush either.