Does anyone know about Full & Part Time paid holiday please?

BikerMooFromMars

So Moo has started a new job as a dental nurse, I am working 4 days a week;

8am-5pm on Mon and Tues

8am-7pm Wed and Thurs

After 1 hour lunch breaks = 36 hours.

On Monday I am going to get my contract and the manager is gonna talk to me about holiday pay - she said it's basic 20 days + 8 bank holidays, though for me as I'm part time it'll be less - approx 16 days, but she is going to check.

I just want to find out if this is correct - although I work 4 days I am doing full time hours. I've looked on the government website and all I can find is this;

"A part-time worker is someone who works fewer hours than a full-time worker. There is no specific number of hours that makes someone full or part-time, but a full-time worker will usually work 35 hours or more a week."

So no real answer there. So I found a holiday entitlement calculator; https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement which gave me these results;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/ScreenShot2014-10-24at132129_zps671fe834.png

It came to 201 hours 36 minutes. But then what do I divide that by to work out the days - not by 24 hours of course...by 8 hours because that's a normal working day? Sorry if I sound stupid but I have no freaking idea! And then do I not get my 8 days of bank holidays because there it says "The employer: can include bank and public holidays as part of the statutory entitlement". Is that where she is vaguely getting 16 days from? Because 201.36 / 8 = 25.17 minus 8 days bank hols?

Really confused and obv would like as much holiday as possible! If anyone has any knowledge in this area I'd be really grateful for any advice. Esp if I am actually entitled to more than 16 days, as I'd like to bring some proof. I'm guessing she's right though...hmm. Not complaining, would just like to know it's definitely correct...if I am basically doing full time hours it'd be pretty sh*tty to be shafted on 12 days of holiday :lol:

Thankyou in advance :thumb:

You are not being 'shafted' as the holiday entitlement will be worked out pro-rata. basically if you work a 5 day week and get 20 days holiday, then you can take 20 WORKING days off. Likewise if a 4 day week, then you get (pro-rata) 4/5 of your holiday entilement = 16 days. This is 16 WORKING days off. Therefore both examples gives the working 4 FULL weeks holiday (i.e. exactly the same!).

Apply this logic to exactly what you are offered and if in doubt, ask to see the calculations.

NB. It is 'normal' to start at the basic level and get 1 or 2 extra days per year worked - ask about this too.

Cheers

:cheers:

You *should* be getting the same entitlement as full timers, you just work less. Everything boils down to what your contract says but if it's 20 days or 4 weeks for full timers exuding public holidays, you will get the same but 16 days (4 days per week) / 12 days (3 days per week) / 8 days (2 days per week) which all work out to 4 weeks off per year, + public holidays if that's in the contract.

Looking at your hours, she's probably correct in applying that to a 4 day per week worker.

You *should* be getting the same entitlement as full timers, you just work less. Everything boils down to what your contract says but if it's 20 days or 4 weeks for full timers exuding public holidays, you will get the same but 16 days (4 days per week) / 12 days (3 days per week) / 8 days (2 days per week) which all work out to 4 weeks off per year, + public holidays if that's in the contract.

Looking at your hours, she's probably correct in applying that to a 4 day per week worker.

Cheers for the non-sarcastic reply :wink: :mrgreen: v helpful.

Just wanted to check...thought it'd be worked out on hours worked as it equates to full time is all... and would rather check than assume it was right.

So does that mean I will or won't get paid to be off bank holidays? (All dental practices close for bank hols). Or will they get counted as annual leave - concerned because the government website says "The employer: can include bank and public holidays as part of the statutory entitlement". Or will it be 16 days PLUS 8 days bank holidays do you reckon?

So I am counted as part time despite the full time hours?

Edited by BikerMooFromMars

I'll be along with a sarcastic reply later :thumb:

What gog has said is correct, we have to explain this so many times to the counter staff at work as they can never grasp it

Doesn't need sarcasm though, was just asking a genuine question :wink:

What gog has said is correct, we have to explain this so many times to the counter staff at work as they can never grasp it

No need to be sensitive - was it a sarcastic response!? I didn't read it that way, at least it if was the it's clearly not set out to be antagonizing. GOG gave some valuable input that surely deserves to be recognized, sarcastic or not after all - not much irritates me more on forums that giving good advice, and to be the only one that doesn't get acknowledged :wink: :wink:

No need to be sensitive - was it a sarcastic response!? I didn't read it that way, at least it if was the it's clearly not set out to be antagonizing. GOG gave some valuable input that surely deserves to be recognized, sarcastic or not after all - not much irritates me more on forums that giving good advice, and to be the only one that doesn't get acknowledged :wink: :wink:

The inverted commas imply sarcasm :wink:

Aww, does that happen to you a lot then :lol:

Wow that escilated....

My 2 pence. My understanding of holiday entitlement is worked out on days and a pro rata basis. Gog is correct, you maybe working full time hours but your company is obviously smart in the way they offer work in the sense that you only have a 4 day week. If you look at it in the way that you only need to book 4 days to have a week off where as I for example would have to use up 5 holiday days to have the same length of time off.

Only book Wednesdays and Thursdays off Moo......that way you'll be getting 11 hour days off instead of a measley 8 hour day...... :wink:

But, it's pretty much been covered.....and be thankful that you work Mondays.....otherwise you'd have missed out on the Bank Holidays..... :wink:

My 2 pence. My understanding of holiday entitlement is worked out on days and a pro rata basis. Gog is correct, you maybe working full time hours but your company is obviously smart in the way they offer work in the sense that you only have a 4 day week. If you look at it in the way that you only need to book 4 days to have a week off where as I for example would have to use up 5 holiday days to have the same length of time off.

Yeah, it's all good - I just wanted to check, and also got a bit concerned about the bank holiday thing though! It's really nice having Fridays off, epic long weekend. Just wasn't that sure about holiday entitlement :mrgreen:

Only book Wednesdays and Thursdays off Moo......that way you'll be getting 11 hour days off instead of a measley 8 hour day...... :wink:

But, it's pretty much been covered.....and be thankful that you work Mondays.....otherwise you'd have missed out on the Bank Holidays..... :wink:

Haha, yeah will keep that in mind when I book time off :mrgreen: . It is great I work on Mondays for that reason :D . I mostly get Fridays off with Fozzles too - he just works 4 hours in the morning :thumb: tis nice!

Haha, yeah will keep that in mind when I book time off :mrgreen: . It is great I work on Mondays for that reason :D . I mostly get Fridays off with Fozzles too - he just works 4 hours in the morning :thumb: tis nice!

Part timers!! :roll:

:lol:

Can't wait til spring next year when it feels more fun to be off for long weekends - esp after working all the Saturdays this summer...the AMOUNT of bikes I heard ride past the ortho practice in Bromley...I was SO unbelievably jealous! Will never work weekends again, it was pants! Only got one day off with The Fonz too!

Working for my dad in Leatherhead next Friday - may become more a more regular thing, bit of extra dosh to play with and I can choose what I want to do :thumb: so I won't aaaalways be a part-timer, with my full time hours already and potentially working 5 days a week...heh heh

Sounds like you got it all worked out :)

But you need to read this link.https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- ... ntitlement

Bacially you're entitled to 4x5.6 paid days off which CAN include bank holidays :(

All depends on the wording of your contract.

Sounds like you got it all worked out :)

But you need to read this link.https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- ... ntitlement

Bacially you're entitled to 4x5.6 paid days off which CAN include bank holidays :(

All depends on the wording of your contract.

I get my contract next week. If it doesn't include bank holidays it will be an issue :shock: ...would mean I only have 8 days holiday I could take off then...fingers crossed. See what happens, will discuss it with her if that is the case. They have been looking for someone since May and had temping staff, the manager has had to nurse sometimes and they've had and a lot of problems...I don't think they'd want to lose me. We'll see!

I didn't realise it was so hard to find someone to work the hours I'm working - turns out most dental nurses have kids and can't get childcare!

I'd lay money on it being 16+8 but it could be 16 including the mandatory 8 if you're real unlucky. Quite frankly though how they would expect anyone to work for just 8 days annual leave on top of bank hols is beyond me if this is the case.

16 days sounds about right for a part timer working 4 day weeks :P

Good luck :)

Even worse, Flexi-timers :mrgreen:

So long as you're on 36 hours some way or another by the end of Thursday, you get a lovely 7-11 shift on Friday!

I wish most places did the holiday entitlement my place does, 200 hours basic entitlement with bank holidays on top of that, so it works out at about 6 weeks off a year on full pay. And you can carry over a week into the next year if you don't use it!

Even worse, Flexi-timers :mrgreen:

So long as you're on 36 hours some way or another by the end of Thursday, you get a lovely 7-11 shift on Friday!

I wish most places did the holiday entitlement my place does, 200 hours basic entitlement with bank holidays on top of that, so it works out at about 6 weeks off a year on full pay. And you can carry over a week into the next year if you don't use it!

I'm gonna f*cking hate you around Christmas :lol: :lol: :lol: (jk - unless you make me cake in your time off of course) :wink: :love:

So Moo has started a new job as a dental nurse, I am working 4 days a week;

8am-5pm on Mon and Tues

8am-7pm Wed and Thurs

After 1 hour lunch breaks = 36 hours.

On Monday I am going to get my contract and the manager is gonna talk to me about holiday pay - she said it's basic 20 days + 8 bank holidays, though for me as I'm part time it'll be less - approx 16 days, but she is going to check.

I just want to find out if this is correct - although I work 4 days I am doing full time hours. I've looked on the government website and all I can find is this;

"A part-time worker is someone who works fewer hours than a full-time worker. There is no specific number of hours that makes someone full or part-time, but a full-time worker will usually work 35 hours or more a week."

So no real answer there. So I found a holiday entitlement calculator; https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement which gave me these results;

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/ScreenShot2014-10-24at132129_zps671fe834.png

It came to 201 hours 36 minutes. But then what do I divide that by to work out the days - not by 24 hours of course...by 8 hours because that's a normal working day? Sorry if I sound stupid but I have no freaking idea! And then do I not get my 8 days of bank holidays because there it says "The employer: can include bank and public holidays as part of the statutory entitlement". Is that where she is vaguely getting 16 days from? Because 201.36 / 8 = 25.17 minus 8 days bank hols?

Really confused and obv would like as much holiday as possible! If anyone has any knowledge in this area I'd be really grateful for any advice. Esp if I am actually entitled to more than 16 days, as I'd like to bring some proof. I'm guessing she's right though...hmm. Not complaining, would just like to know it's definitely correct...if I am basically doing full time hours it'd be pretty sh*tty to be shafted on 12 days of holiday :lol:

Thankyou in advance :thumb:

yet when you are on income support or esa then they call anything over 16 hours as full time

If you work a Bank holiday you get to take it another day.

Not necessarily.

Bank/public holidays don't have to be given as paid leave. Depending on the company it may be seen as a normal woeking day. Though Moo will probably be as you said.

my place needs us to work bank holidays BUT have added them on to our holiday entitlement. so we get an extra 4 days off each. (not including xmas, new years as we are shut anyway)