Calling Tango come in Tango! (And any other guitarists)

stumblebum

I also use RiffMaster Pro, where you can load an MP3 of a riff or song into it and use the program to slow it down, but it keeps the correct pitch.....so you can work out how to play the riff or song..... 8-)

I use a Tascam gb10 that does the same thing but I wouldn't mind finding out if I can use something similar on my iPad, that would be dead handy.

Excellent, they have RiffMaster Pro on the apple istore! I can import songs from itunes onto it. Dead handy, thankyou to Tango for that one. :cheers:

I'd go with the general flow here....a bike is God's way of justifying tarmac.....but a guitar doesn't require special clothing or sunshine to be enjoyed. I love my V-max AND my Fudge. I don't have any requirements for bigger/better/faster. The Mighty Fudge has been to Sicily 24 times,Maxine has been all over Germany and Belgium...BUT....I can close my eyes and start to play one of my guitars-and I'm transported to anywhere I want to be. I'm told that the instant I start to play,my eyes change. Apparently I go to a land only I can see. If I do that on either bike,drift off into my own world,the consequences tend to be a tad dispiriting. So,I agree with the majority..I'm a biker...but your guitar doesn't depend on sunshine,it MAKES sunshine!

I had an Ibanez once... loved the fret board, could play it fast as you like. Also, the finnish on it was awesome, but couldn't get on with the locking trem thing, so traded for a fender strat. I am more of an acoustic guy anyway, got 5 of em, 3 of which were cheap as chips, one I got because it was blue, but the one I have now is my go to nice one. Just like the sound better and the lack of fuss with amps etc.

I'd pick the bike over an LP, but then I've always preferred Strats, prefer their tones, shape, feel.

The LP is a great guitar and if you've always wanted one then go for it.

For me a decent US Strat with some Seymour Duncan Antiquities is :D.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. But I'm a guitarist too so just throwing in my 2 pence.

Modern Gibbys arent up to the same standard they were years ago, I don't see them appreciating in value much. Get yourself a yamaha sg, Japanese made neck thru, les Paul killer. The 80s ones are to die for and can be had for cheap.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread. But I'm a guitarist too so just throwing in my 2 pence.

Modern Gibbys arent up to the same standard they were years ago, I don't see them appreciating in value much. Get yourself a yamaha sg, Japanese made neck thru, les Paul killer. The 80s ones are to die for and can be had for cheap.

I'm not after a new Les Paul I'm keeping an eye out for an early 2000 to 2006 that were unchambered unlike the new ones. They are becoming sort after due to their better build quality, I've checked all sorts of other makes and models but for me it really has to be Gibson. I've tried a few out and they feel great when playing so I know it's the right choice.

There is a Les Paul in 'Cash Convicts' in Huntingdon - Cheap as chips too!

:mrgreen:

I bet it's in a right state too, I've seen the condition of guitars they buy in at those types of places! I might as well put the feelers out on here though, if anyone on here comes across a Gibson Les Paul in honeyburst colours and is pre-2006 please could you let me know on here, many thanks.

(Not eBay or gumtree as I search there every day)

It's a Tokai Love Rock GOG.......so, not a Gibson......but not a bad guitar for a Les Paul copy though..... 8-)

Tokai Love Rocks are great copies better than Epiphones in my opinion, well, the early ones are I don't know about the modern ones.

I want to learn to play the guitar - however I am 65 so it may be a slow process.

My fingers are flexible and I am in good nick generally.

In 1991 I bought my son a Tokai Strat copy which he still has but lives overseas. I remember attempting then but business demands gave me no time. Now I am retired but have other past times especially the bike.

I need you experts to advise me:

Acoustic, Electro Acoustic or Electric? Used or new? Personal tutor or other?

Depends on the style of music you want to play Clive.......heavy metal won't be quite right on an acoustic...... :wink:

Personally, I think the acoustic guitar is harder to play than an electric......takes more finger strength.

I'm into Blues and Blues Rock.....so electric is the way to go for me.......although I do also have an old Yamaha acoustic. Obviously if you go for an electric you'd need an amp too........I've got a home made valve amp and also got a Roland Microcube which is a cracking little amp....and plenty loud enough for practice......and also has a headphone socket, so you can play away to your hearts content without disturbing others in the house..... :wink:

Lessons isn't a bad way to go.......and there's a stack of online tutors........Griff Hamlin's Blues Guitar Unleashed is one of my favourites.

Then there's programs like Guitar Pro 6 which is good for learning songs.....with plenty of tabs on Ultimate Guitar website...... 8-)

You're never too old to learn mate...... 8-)

Depends on the style of music you want to play Clive.......heavy metal won't be quite right on an acoustic...... :wink:

Personally, I think the acoustic guitar is harder to play than an electric......takes more finger strength.

I'm into Blues and Blues Rock.....so electric is the way to go for me.......although I do also have an old Yamaha acoustic. Obviously if you go for an electric you'd need an amp too........I've got a home made valve amp and also got a Roland Microcube which is a cracking little amp....and plenty loud enough for practice......and also has a headphone socket, so you can play away to your hearts content without disturbing others in the house..... :wink:

Lessons isn't a bad way to go.......and there's a stack of online tutors........Griff Hamlin's Blues Guitar Unleashed is one of my favourites.

Then there's programs like Guitar Pro 6 which is good for learning songs.....with plenty of tabs on Ultimate Guitar website...... 8-)

Thank you for that, Tango - I love blues / rock such as Eric and Joe Bonamassa - so I will heed your advice and seek an electric.

I bought my son one of those Roland cube amps about 5 years back - he loves it - so one of those on the list as well I think.

Excellent...... 8-)

I have a couple of Ibanez guitars which I really like.........one is an SA model which is a Strat shape, but has 2 single coil pickups and a humbucker in the bridge position......so it's quite a versatile guitar for that style of music. The other is an ARC100 which is a Les Paul style guitar.....it's solid mahogany body......weighs a ton......but the sustain is awesome..... 8-)

So, I'd check out some of the Ibanez guitars mate......reasonable quality at (mostly) reasonable prices.......and there's some nice secondhand ones around..... 8-)

Here's my stable:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/P1010225.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/P1010218.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/IMAG0160.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/139.jpg

I wish I had the time to play more often. The Squier strat is a Vintage Modified with 'Duncan designed' pickups. It is a fantastic guitar to play, hard to believe it cost me less than £250 new. The Epi Les Paul and Ibanez RG470 I've had for more than 10 years. I wouldn't part with either of them. Still have the Marshall too, a VS100R. I'm not one for changing :D

It's a Tokai Love Rock GOG.......so, not a Gibson......but not a bad guitar for a Les Paul copy though..... 8-)

I did not look that close - it had 2 too many strings for my liking!

:cheers:

way back in the early 90s a mate of mine bought a guitar from a tat shop.. they dealt mainly in house clearances. he bought it not because he played.. he just loved the shape - which can best be described as 'organic' and the wood.. which was truly gorgeous. but.. nobody had heard of the brand so he got it for £50. and then hung it on the wall in his lounge as an ornament.

A few years later.. when the internet was more accessible. he found out the truth of the matter. said Guitar was worth a clanking fortune. it was a mid 70s Alembic. It still hangs on his wall and is not for sale.

Thank you for that, Tango - I love blues / rock such as Eric and Joe Bonamassa - so I will heed your advice and seek an electric.

I bought my son one of those Roland cube amps about 5 years back - he loves it - so one of those on the list as well I think.

I can only mirror what Tango has said but add that guitars are a bit like bikes you should go out and handle a few and see what feels best for you, you'll be surprised how different guitars feel in the hand. Get yourself to a guitar shop and get a good deal on a guitar/amp/lead and start playing, you won't regret it.

I can only mirror what Tango has said but add that guitars are a bit like bikes you should go out and handle a few and see what feels best for you, you'll be surprised how different guitars feel in the hand. Get yourself to a guitar shop and get a good deal on a guitar/amp/lead and start playing, you won't regret it.

Again, excellent advice - I shall start my quest soon.

Thank you both.

We'll need to see pics when you get it mate..... :wink:

I've got seven days until the auction ends then I'll travel up to Buckinghamshire to view it and make sure all is ok with it. It looks stunning in the pictures, very well looked after. I'm chomping at the bit to get it! Rest assured I'll put pictures up if I end up buying it. On another note is there anywhere of interest worth visiting while I'm in Buckinghamshire? Might as well make a day of it.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread, I've ended up going for the guitar! I've bought a lovely Les Paul and will be picking it up on Wednesday. I'll try and get some pics up if I can work out how to do it from an iPad.