Misty Visor - Newbie Question of the day...

onesea

After the rain today I went for a ride...

Well as dusk came near I misted up, my main visor misted totally inside and out. Having in built sun visor I used that until I could stop and clean the visor. Even once cleaned it kept happening...

I have a HJC TR-1 helmet. I believe it has pin locks and I believe I need a Pin Lock anti fog insert

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HJC-FS11-TR1-IS16-CLST-2-FG15-HJ-09-Helmet-Visor-Pinlock-Anti-fog-Inserts-/321550627107#shpCntId

Is there anything else I can do?

you can get anti fog spray. Or spit on the visor (trick scuba divers use if have no anti fog spray...also cheaper)

Pinlocks best way to go, especially if you're going to be a regular winter rider

just to explain - "pinlock' is a similar idea to double glazing. a second 'screen' of sorts is attached of the visor.. and forms a seal against it. the end result being little or no misting. the visor must be designed to take the 'pinlock' - you cannot fit one to an ordinary visor. (as far as I know). but.. these days 'affordable' helmets come complete with these. so its not prohibitively expensive. definitely the way to go for winter riding.

After the rain today I went for a ride...

Well as dusk came near I misted up, my main visor misted totally inside and out. Having in built sun visor I used that until I could stop and clean the visor. Even once cleaned it kept happening...

I have a HJC TR-1 helmet. I believe it has pin locks and I believe I need a Pin Lock anti fog insert

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HJC-FS11-TR1-IS16-CLST-2-FG15-HJ-09-Helmet-Visor-Pinlock-Anti-fog-Inserts-/321550627107#shpCntId

Is there anything else I can do?

Stop breathing :thumb:

I rode with my visor open a crack until I bought my pretty Skark helmet with pinlock 8-)

Moo. Thanks for the tip I have never closed my visor fully as soon as I stop it fogs. Next time I will try stopping breathing :shock: .

On this occasion even when I stopped having ridden with it open it was fogged. Do you get days where the weather creates these effects?

I think this visor has pin lock two plastic pegs sticking out from the visor either side.

Moo. Thanks for the tip I have never closed my visor fully as soon as I stop it fogs. Next time I will try stopping breathing :shock: .

On this occasion even when I stopped having ridden with it open it was fogged. Do you get days where the weather creates these effects?

I think this visor has pin lock two plastic pegs sticking out from the visor either side.

Plastic pegs either side sounds like pinlock. Look in the box there is probably a pinlock with all the paperwork. Otherwise go online and order one.

Also, get in the habit of opening the visor as you are slowing down to stop. As you're braking with your right hand, use your left to open the visor.

Pinlock is the answer, I'll be getting them soon as I'm done with misting up. When it raing cracking the visor is the worst thing to do as the rain gets on the inside of the visor then you have a distorted view for the journey until you stop. Spit on visor is the quick easy and cheap method but not always too effective

I have a mate at work who says "pinlocks and me don't get on" - Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either. I have a pinlock and its great now that the weather is turning colder.

However he uses a kind of face mask that is built into the helmet and it prevents your breath from hitting the visor and misting up by directing it out of the helmet. It still doesn't stop the heat from his head eventually misting up the visor though but he is adamant its better than a pinlock.

It's not.

I have a mate at work who says "pinlocks and me don't get on" - Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either. I have a pinlock and its great now that the weather is turning colder.

However he uses a kind of face mask that is built into the helmet and it prevents your breath from hitting the visor and misting up by directing it out of the helmet. It still doesn't stop the heat from his head eventually misting up the visor though but he is adamant its better than a pinlock.

It's not.

Tell him he's an idiot :lol:

Pinlock works way better than a breath guard.

If it doesn't work, he either has a cheap crappy pinlock/visor or he's not fitted it correctly.

I didn't like my Pinlock either, didn't like the fact you could see it in your line of vision so I took it off.

I don't commute though and try to avoid riding in the rain so it's not too much of a bother.

I didn't like my Pinlock either, didn't like the fact you could see it in your line of vision so I took it off.

I don't commute though and try to avoid riding in the rain so it's not too much of a bother.

thats the older pinlocks... the new ones are large enough to be out of the line of sight.

this is my current helmet - the Pinlock is way up out of the sight line:

IMG_20140524_204959.jpg

My old Shoie had the top of the pinlock right in the line of sight when leaning forward on a sports bike :(

OK I have been sold I have ordered a clear Pin Lock seen the video how to install it.

Now what do I do?

Do you need to clean them or not touch them?

Just washed Visor in Soapy water hope to be out tomorrow to see if that's improved the misting...

thats the older pinlocks... the new ones are large enough to be out of the line of sight.

this is my current helmet - the Pinlock is way up out of the sight line:

IMG_20140524_204959.jpg

My old Shoie had the top of the pinlock right in the line of sight when leaning forward on a sports bike :(

Ah right, that's good to know, thanks!

Yes, that's what I found, it was totally in the line of vision and was very off-putting when riding.

Before the days of Pinlocks, we used to smear the inside of the visor with a bit of washingup liquid on a paper towel......worked ok ish........ :wink:

The visor on my Bell lid rarely mists up......maybe because the breath guard is pretty good and the ventilation is also good........and the visor is pretty thick too...... :wink:

Rode to a shop today I know does not sound like allot. Tackled 3 roundabouts I was not looking forward to dual carriage way jobs one is not even round, more peanut shaped all consecutive.

They recommended muckoff visor anti mist spray and nikiwax visor proof anti rain stuff...

Seemed to work well but have now fitted a pinlock so will see how it goes tomorrow.

Oh and had to stop myself speeding all day, seems my confidence is up. My cornering improving, probably time for a fall :crybaby:

Thanks for help.

I was out for a couple of hours today on the rain. I enjoyed my ride think I need to recoat the or did of my visor or do you always get some rain sticking?

Whilst looking at the visor I notice I have some most between the pinlock and the visor. Will it dry out?

Can you remove a pinlock? How?

Do you need to clean them?

Thanks..

I bought a Pinlock and it works very well...but I also wear glasses and they now mist up instead. :roll: I still have to crack my visor open when stopped to prevent them misting up. Just a pity they don't do Pinlocks for glasses. :lol:

I was out yesterday and no issues with misting on my visor. Although I did have to flip it up to check when I encountered my first mist/ fog bank.

500 miles in 10 days of bike ownership is that normal?

As a sailor i was taught by mum to use saliva on my sunglasses to keep them clear. Maybe that would work in a helmet?

Pinlock is the way to go. I always wear one of the thin Buff neck tubes and pull it up to cover my nose, cheeks and mouth, which also helps on cold days to direct your breath down past the chin and away from the visor.