Still a problem with clutch case bolt!?

Harri

Hi all. I tried to drill as central as I could through the bolt but I've obviously not done that. The hole looks really close to the crankcase cover! Check out the pics.

I've tried the extractor but to be honest I can't get enough torque to move the bolt in the slightest! I'm sure if I do manage to apply more torque the extractor itself is gonna snap.

1. In the case of the crankcase thread being damaged - can that hole and the hole in the clutch cover be tapped to accept a larger bolt.

2. What to do next? I could try a larger extractor but that will defo damage the crankcase as it will almost be the same size as the bolt hole. I could try a left hand drill bit but my drill will never be able to apply enough torque I don't think.

any ideas guys?

1327585915_bolt1.thumb.jpg.f8a97274cfcc7a7fafa9879f639b68ae.jpg

1758925551_bolt2.thumb.jpg.2346e8e989a7b49f2d6791f3e97893d2.jpg

It's a bit tight in there but do you think you might be able to zap it with a bit of heat? A small blowtorch or similar would do.

I'd give it a few sharp taps with a small metal headed hammer before that, just to see if that'd free it up.

Okay - this bolt ain't going nowhere :roll: Tried some heat and as much torque as I could physically apply with mole grips and no budge!

I've checked out my drills and they both can be run in reverse so I just need to get hold of a left hand drill bit or two. raesewell sent a link so might order online.

I reckon I'm as close/if not touching the crankcase already so a drill bit might just shave some off the casing. Can this hole be rethreaded for a larger bolt?

Barcud

Hi, I'm not sure if the bolt is splitting, I thought it might be though can't be sure.

The only other thing I was thinking was trying to whack the bolt to try and split it! Could be useless and dodgy though. And then it might just still sit there anyway :roll:

Barcud

Nooo dont try and split it yet.

Warm it up, not red hot just enough to get the metal to expand. Spray wd onto it. If you have time repeat a few times. Wipe excess wd off.

If the bolt hasnt started to split you can apply more force.

You want the correct handle for the easy out to. Or if your drill has hammer and will work in reverse on hammer you could try that to see if it will start to shock off.

Cheers guys, I've given up for the day after more heat, more gas and more torquing with the extractor. After quite a few hours it hasn't shifted one single bit!

One of my links shows this to be a common problem with this engine so it may well have happened before and been rethreaded.

Oh well. thanks for all the help.

Hi guys, I tried the smallest easy out to begin with. Then used the next size up.

As for drilling out. The hole now has biased more to the left now and is not central. If I use a drill the bit will follow this hole and take out too much material on the left and it won't match up with the clutch cover hole. Do you agree?

Barcud

Wd40 is the most mis used thing ever.

Every one (I include myself) uses it as a penetrating oil.

It's not that good at it either.

Wd stands for water displacement and 40 was the number of attempts before they found something that worked.

Plusgas tomorrow then. While I'm out buying a new bottle for my blow torch :) Then another attempt with plusgas, heat, and the extractor. I've removed bolts and screws before but this muvver fu**er is something else. :roll:

Barcud

another misconception about wd40 is that its not a penetrating oil

here is just some of the uses of WD40

WHAT DOES WD-40® MULTI-USE PRODUCT DO?

WD-40® MULTI-USE PRODUCT FULFILLS FIVE BASIC FUNCTIONS:

LUBRICATES: The product's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and tenaciously held to all moving parts.

PENETRATES: WD-40® Multi-Use Product loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.

PROTECTS: The product protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

REMOVES: WD-40® Multi-Use Product gets under dirt, grime and grease. Use it to remove gunk from tools, equipment and vehicles. WD-40® Multi-Use Product in liquid form (e.g., gallon) also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of excess bonding material.

DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because it displaces moisture, WD-40® Multi-Use Product quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.

http://wd40.com/faqs

I've never had any success with WD40 as a penetrating oil.......but Plusgas has got me out of several fixes in the past..... :wink:

Interestingly a search on google for Plusgas throws up comparisons with WD40......in which WD40 doesn't come out too rosy..... :wink: But it seems that Plusgas isn't so easy to get hold of now, which is a real shame......but it is still around......and smaller motor stores may still stock it..... 8-)