Poor MPG...

Guest Phil Young

I will admit, it's a lot tougher to master the technique of a quick pullaway as the total engage/disengagement of the clutch has a leeway of about 3-4mm so to give the right amount of clutch to give it a good start needs some serious delicate left hand action.

More practice on that then... Tomorrow I'll have a look at the filter, brakes and report back on that.

have you not got a span adjuster on the lever?

if you have it set wrong then little movement will cause it to be like a switch ie on or off

with the right set up you can get it spot on for you

Good point.

Yes it does, I might adjust it tomorrow along with the other works.

do you have it set on number 5 by any chance?

set it to 1 and you will see the difference

ps hope you have big hands to reach the lever when set on 1 :lol:

You might want to do one thing at a time buddy so you can pinpoint what was causing the issue.

Well, I'm going to change the oil anyway - last done 3.5k ago so needs that...

Front brakes are definitely touching so I'll change front and back pads but the air filter I'm just going to inspect because cleaning it isn't a possibility tomorrow and if anything I'd just buy a new, better one.

when you say the pads are touching can you just hear them when moving the bike around or are they noticeably dragging

If you can just hear then rubbing then forget the brakes this is normal

if your front suspension compresses due to them dragging then rebuild them dont just replace the pads

Good point.

Yes it does, I might adjust it tomorrow along with the other works.

do you have it set on number 5 by any chance?

set it to 1 and you will see the difference

ps hope you have big hands to reach the lever when set on 1 :lol:

...1-5? I think we may be talking about different things... I have an adjuster like everyone but it doesn't have numbers.

I'd like the biting point in the middle, it's close to the end at the moment and my hands are size 8 so smallish.

when you say the pads are touching can you just hear them when moving the bike around or are they noticeably dragging

if your front suspension compresses due to them dragging then rebuild them don't just replace the pads

When manually handling, I can hear a slight metal like grinding noise from the brakes, I assume they are slightly applied?

http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/prod_img/lrg/SSL10887.jpg

see the dial?

this is a span adjuster it alters the lever distance from the bar and also alters the amount of pull you need to operate the clutch

by the sounds of it you dont have one on your clutch not all bikes do

dont mess with the other adjusters your wasting your time it will have no effect on feel

if your front suspension compresses due to them dragging then rebuild them don't just replace the pads

When manually handling, I can hear a slight metal like grinding noise from the brakes, I assume they are slightly applied?

no that is normal nothing to worry about

I would worry if you didnt hear it

unless the brakes are actually grabbing

if you can get the wheel off the floor take a vid of spinning it and post it up if it is very hard to spin then yes there is a problem if you spin and let go and it carries on a little up to half a turn then its fine more is better

Hmmm... I'll try, just me and my dad though with only a rear paddock so might be a bit tricky.

I know the rear almost stops dead when you stop turning the wheel - this I have tested...

yeah you have to factor in the gearbox and chain with the rear but it ALMOST stops dead is the give away that the rear is fine

stick the bike on the side stand turn the bars full right stand on the left one foot against the back of the side stand pull back and to the left with the bars to lift the front get your dad to spin it :thumb:

yeah you have to factor in the gearbox and chain with the rear but it ALMOST stops dead is the give away that the rear is fine

stick the bike on the side stand turn the bars full right stand on the left one foot against the back of the side stand pull back and to the left with the bars to lift the front get your dad to spin it :thumb:

Nice one, cheers for the tips - I'll give it a whirl! :cheers:

In your efforts to beat Raabey have you tried clutchless upshifts ;-)

I've upgraded from just "up" to clutchless downshifts now I have the slipper clutch ;) :lol: :lol: He experienced this when I was in 3rd at around the 8k RPM mark... see ya Raabey :bike2:

After I'm away from a standstill, I rarely use the clutch for up's, maybe when it's still cold...

yeah, but how are the power-wheelies coming along??

I'd have to role off and on pretty hard to get that wheel up or I've been at about 7k in 1st, opened it up and the front lifted off.

It doesn't pop up as easily as yours... for me I like that but I do think people tend to exaggerate the power slightly in the sense tbat - you can't really accidentally lift it, in my opinion, you habe to want to get it up.

yeah, but how are the power-wheelies coming along??

I'd have to role off and on pretty hard to get that wheel up or I've been at about 7k in 1st, opened it up and the front lifted off.

It doesn't pop up as easily as yours... for me I like that but I do think people tend to exaggerate the power slightly in the sense tbat - you can't really accidentally lift it, in my opinion, you habe to want to get it up.

that doesn't sound right mate. i reckon it should be easier than that to lift the front.

:stupid:

I could lift the front in 2nd on the TL off the throttle! that had less power than the R1

That's a V-twin right? Figures... ;)

I so knew that was coming :lol:

believe it or not the R1 has more bhp and torque than the TL :wink:

:stupid:

I could lift the front in 2nd on the TL off the throttle! that had less power than the R1

That's a V-twin right? Figures... ;)

I so knew that was coming :lol:

believe it or not the R1 has more bhp and torque than the TL :wink:

In the lower regions??

Anyhow, mine at least definitely needs some effort in the throttle to get it up.