Came close to my first off today

Phooey

As the tittle says ... I was riding down this road outside the University of the West of England on my way to work and this female student decided to cross the road. How selfish of her to cross at that moment. There I was admiring the very pretty young lady when I suddenly noticed that the car in front was no longer moving. Maybe something to do with the red traffic light in front of him :roll:

Anyway, the back wheel locked ... slid to the right then the left and eventually the bike stopped.

That'll teach me to pull the clutch when I need to stop quickly. lol

Totally my own fault and a learning curve.

I may or may not have done this staring at a puppy when I was very new to biking, with a little wobble...and again last year just going a bit too fast and not paying attention to people ahead braking, and had a big wobble....was impressed I held it tho tbh! I wonder if she noticed you perving then saw the almost-accident? Ego boost x 100 :lol: :lol: :lol: (or creeped out if she hates bikers!)

Edited by BikerMooFromMars

live and learn!

stop perving! :lol:

Perving? Does that mean pulling in the clutch at the same time as heavy braking?

no it means stop watching that woman crossing the road :lol: :lol:

I may or may not have done this staring at a puppy when I was very new to biking, with a little wobble...and again last year just going a bit too fast and not paying attention to people ahead braking, and had a big wobble....was impressed I held it tho tbh! I wonder if she noticed you perving then saw the almost-accident? Ego boost x 100 :lol: :lol: :lol: (or creeped out if she hates bikers!)

lol I think she definitely noticed, Moo. She almost laughed.

Whether she nearly laughed because a near accident or creeped out I don't know!

lol I think she definitely noticed, Moo. She almost laughed.

Whether she nearly laughed because a near accident or creeped out I don't know!

If it was a genuine laugh I' sure she wasn't freaked out, you probably made her day! :lol:

That'll teach me to pull the clutch when I need to stop quickly.

I was taught in CBT that you should leave the clutch out when emergency braking and try and catch it before the bike stalls. What's the most effective way then?

That'll teach me to pull the clutch when I need to stop quickly.

I was taught in CBT that you should leave the clutch out when emergency braking and try and catch it before the bike stalls. What's the most effective way then?

You were told correctly, Sir. But that is not what I did! lol I pulled the clutch at same time as brake.

I may or may not have done this staring at a puppy when I was very new to biking, with a little wobble...and again last year just going a bit too fast and not paying attention to people ahead braking, and had a big wobble....was impressed I held it tho tbh! I wonder if she noticed you perving then saw the almost-accident? Ego boost x 100 [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] (or creeped out if she hates bikers!)

Everytime I encounter your red writing it makes my eyes go all weird and the screen looks strange. Is this your desired intention?

Also... guilty as charged with staring at things when I should be looking forward. It's shop windows that show my bike that get me.

I may or may not have done this staring at a puppy when I was very new to biking, with a little wobble...and again last year just going a bit too fast and not paying attention to people ahead braking, and had a big wobble....was impressed I held it tho tbh! I wonder if she noticed you perving then saw the almost-accident? Ego boost x 100 [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] (or creeped out if she hates bikers!)

Everytime I encounter your red writing it makes my eyes go all weird and the screen looks strange. Is this your desired intention?

Also... guilty as charged with staring at things when I should be looking forward. It's shop windows that show my bike that get me.

Have done it since I joined - I enjoy standing out from the crowd 8-) . You should get your eyes tested if a bit of red text makes them go weird :lol: !

In the 'instant reaction' phase - I always pull both brake and clutch.

if you have to think about what you are doing, you have 'wasted' time that should be used to prevent the 'crunch'. Great if you can train yourself to automatically pull just the brake and then the clutch when the bike is almost stopped - However........

Bottom line is to note EVERTHING that is gouing on around you.

Well done for keeping the bike upright. Lesson learnt (maybe).

:cheers:

Now if you see her next time and she's wearing a short, short skirt and drops something deliberately you know she's out to get you.

PMSL ... If she drops anything it is probably a lawsuit. She is 30 years my junior after all. (Age estimated at around 25)

Edited by Phooey

Well done for keeping it shiny side up :thumb:

More luck than skill I can assure you!

Sometimes luck is all we need, maybe you should have fallen off (slowly) she might have come over to give you the kiss of life :D

As the tittle says ... I was riding down this road outside the University of the West of England on my way to work and this female student decided to cross the road. How selfish of her to cross at that moment. There I was admiring the very pretty young lady when I suddenly noticed that the car in front was no longer moving. Maybe something to do with the red traffic light in front of him :roll:

Anyway, the back wheel locked ... slid to the right then the left and eventually the bike stopped.

That'll teach me to pull the clutch when I need to stop quickly. lol

Totally my own fault and a learning curve.

Good on you and I applaud you for admitting that you got it wrong. None of us are perfect and you show me someone who claims they have never made a mistake and I will show you a liar.

Important thing is that you are still here to tell the tale and lesson learnt :cheers: