Puncture repair kit

Whitey1984

Hi all, after recently getting a puncture i thought it might be a worthwhile investment to keep on the bike, as i might be further away from home next time.

So just wondering, have you got one? which one? and have you had to use it?

Any recommendations are welcome as there seems to be a few different types.

Cheers

nope. I can't safely plug mine anyway as its Z rated.

After having 4 or 5 punctures in the past 18 months, all of them have been slow ones anyway, so I've figured I't should be OK to ride home on if I get one again, but most of the time I don't notice them until the morning after anyway

Ask Phil about punctures.. I have a great video showing his repaired tyre suddenly losing its bung, the air rushing out and Phil braking from triple digit speeds with a flat back tyre..

His were like pepperoni sticks though, not mushrooms.

Ask Phil about punctures.. I have a great video showing his repaired tyre suddenly losing its bung, the air rushing out and Phil braking from triple digit speeds with a flat back tyre..

His were like pepperoni sticks though, not mushrooms.

I'd like to see that, if its public?

I've lways wondered what would happen if a motorcycle had a blow out at speed

nope. I can't safely plug mine anyway as its Z rated.

sorry.. but this is nonsense.

All road going tubeless tyres can 'potentially' be repaired. however there is a list of caveats.

namely position and size of the hole. most makers recommend just one puncture per tyre is repaired. so if you get a second puncture and repair that too. its at your own risk. the risk is pretty minimal unless its very close to the first.

The best (my opinion) roadside puncture kit uses a mushroom that is squeezed down a tube, through the hole and then expands again. No glue needed. inflated with a proper pump. so, within 10-15 minutes the tyre can be fixed (if possible) and I can be on my way as though nothing has happened.

http://i.imgur.com/PDwqcHk.jpg

as it goes.. this is by far the best preventative measure. if you're geared up for a puncture you'll not get one. but forget it, leave it at home and sods law comes into play.

I use the 'StopNgo' system and a electric pump that simply plugs into the bikes power socket.

http://i.imgur.com/H5SYfcm.jpg

and my pump

http://i.imgur.com/47tGnEe.jpg

my kit is fairly bulky.. they also do a smaller one.

http://i.imgur.com/UwzRmuy.jpg

you can either add co2 bulbs to that as a 'get you home' or carry a pump.

A bit of marmite to add to the options is tyre seal, or goop. Pop it in your tyre and forget and the first thing you will know of a puncture is when you get off the bike and see a line of goop up the undertail of your bike

Cheers for the replies.

Think i'll pick up the smaller one of the above kits and a few co2 cartridges. When i got my puncture i was only 2 minutes from home so even if i had to push it it wouldn't have been that bad, next time i might be a bit further away.

Just want something i can stick under the seat and that will at least get me home. :thumb:

The smaller Stop 'n Go jobbie is about the size of the OEM tool kit on my ZX6r - I don't have what you'd call a lot of storage on my bike so it takes a bit of wedging to find a secure place to put it. :-)

Join the AA, they will plug it for you. Also useful when other issues pop up

I knew someone was going to suggest this, however the AA and RAC want to charge me an extortionate amount of money as my bike is over 10 years old.

I'm not going to wait an hour for Mr AA man to come and fix my tyre if i can do it myself in ten minutes. :)

I knew someone was going to suggest this, however the AA and RAC want to charge me an extortionate amount of money as my bike is over 10 years old.

I'm not going to wait an hour for Mr AA man to come and fix my tyre if i can do it myself in ten minutes. :)

I used to think the same way until I had a couple of break downs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCnWRmd0bY8

Shorty's post is the best puncture repair you can get - it's mushroom type, same as will be plugged by your professional tyre fitter and would be strong enough for the duration of your tyre's life.

I had one of those and it did mine. I probably wouldn't get the pepperoni sticks again for my sort of riding (although I'm sure it's fine for more... sensible riders).

I'm not going to wait an hou

I thought it was the person covered by the AA not the vehicle. Ive got AA and they dont know what vehicles I drive.

I thought it was the person covered by the AA not the vehicle. Ive got AA and they dont know what vehicles I drive.

It is the person thats covered, I pay around £40 per year and have used them for a flat on the bike, a bike that wouldnt start as the battery terminal had come lose, a car that wouldnt start as an earth wire had corroded and an exhaust box falling off a car, getting my monies worth!

anyone used Dynaplug?

Dynaplug is 4.6mm S&G is 8mm with a 14mm mushroom head and is squeezed down to 5mm as its forced into the tyre. so once in thats a lot of 'expansion'. you do need a pair of pliers though, on the one hand to remove the nail/screw and on the other to pull the 'stalk' so the mushroom head is pulled against the hole on the inside. pliers aren't included in the kit.

a compare/contrast between the two.

http://i.imgur.com/z6ZafiY.jpg

Depends whether you choose personal or vehicle cover. If you have something more than 10 years old, you can get vehicle cover but not just roadside cover - you have to pay for roadside and relay.

if your bike is over 10 years old get personal cover...I have it and it covers both my bikes and the car ( my cbr 400 is over 20 years old and I already called them out to it on the way home when I first bought it... fully recovered, no problem ) ...that's RAC btw, though I believe AA offers the same cover

I bought family cover. Me, my wife, my son and my daughter. Roadside and relay. We have 4 cars and two motorbikes between us but it covers any of us in any vehicle/bike. I paid £196 for it but bought it through a cashback site and I get £76 back so not bad cover for £120 a year.

Just watch out for the renewal price! The AA try to rip you off every year, and every year I argue with them and get a 50% discount.

Ive got AA gold membership that gives me free child cover, so my 2 year old daughter has her own AA membership with her own AA card!! So if she's in a car and it breaks down, the AA will recover it.

• 1 month later...

Just thought i would resurrect this thread after getting a nail in my back tyre.. fortunately i was at home when i saw it. pulled it out and there was a very nice hissing sound.

I used the stop and go kit.. the repair job took less than 5 minutes. it probably took longer to pump the tyre back up with the foot pump than to fix the hole.

This all happened on Friday morning.. before reporting back I've tested the pressure Friday night, Saturday, yesterday and again this morning. the plug worked.. not a drop of air has been lost. its the first time Ive used it on my own bike.. Ive repaired a strangers tyre. but he said at the time he would be replacing the tyre.. he didn't believe me when i said it was a permanent repair. i didn't argue.

but.. the tyre has plenty of life in it.. so Im not going to throw it away just yet. I'll carry on testing it every few days for the next week or so. but so far so good.

Just thought i would resurrect this thread after getting a nail in my back tyre.. fortunately i was at home when i saw it. pulled it out and there was a very nice hissing sound.

I used the stop and go kit.. the repair job took less than 5 minutes. it probably took longer to pump the tyre back up with the foot pump than to fix the hole.

This all happened on Friday morning.. before reporting back I've tested the pressure Friday night, Saturday, yesterday and again this morning. the plug worked.. not a drop of air has been lost. its the first time Ive used it on my own bike.. Ive repaired a strangers tyre. but he said at the time he would be replacing the tyre.. he didn't believe me when i said it was a permanent repair. i didn't argue.

but.. the tyre has plenty of life in it.. so Im not going to throw it away just yet. I'll carry on testing it every few days for the next week or so. but so far so good.

Nice one shorty,

cheers for the update, i decided to go for aa cover as most of the decent kits i found were £25 quid anyway and the aa cover worked out at £50ish for personal cover that covers the bike and the car.

Looks like if i get a puncture out and about i'll be hanging around for a while. Nice to know the stop and go kit works though, can i ask where you got yours from?