Is this person trying to scam me on Ebay?

Miguel the Penguin

Right, so I finally cleaned my bike!

It is now listed on the various sale sites and I had a query from someone on Ebay last night asking if it was still for sale and what my best price was. I replied to the email address they had given me in their query and they have come back with this:

"Thanks for your swift response,I'd like to know the rock bottom price you willing to take and also i will be paying by PayPal as it is attached to my bank account. It is safe and secure way to make payment on eBay. I hope you accept my payment method? If you do,can you just send me the email you associated with your PayPal account (Paypal ID) in order to make the payment now, about the collection; have got a Freight company that will come for the collection as soon as you confirm the payment via PayPal so no shipping included and if you dont have a paypal account, you can easily go to http://www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. I await your reply asap"

I don't know why but it just feels a bit dodgy to me. I don't want to be paid by Paypal by someone who doesn't come to collect the bike because I think it would be too easy for them to put in a dispute/freeze the payment. Plus I don't want to pay the 10% Ebay fees!!

The fact it's badly written also sounds warning bells to me, although that could just be me being a bit of a pedant :mrgreen:

What do the more wise and experienced of you out there think? Scam?

Thanks in advance!

If you're not happy then just say you want cash only. If he doesn't want to pay cash then just wait for the next person. I don't like the idea of selling to someone who doesn't come and look at it anyway. If they turn up and sign a bit of paper then there's nothing that can go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...