Signal to pass a parked vehicle or not

Question guys...been driving cars for 40 years...bikes only during my CBT a few weeks ago.

During the road test I kept using the indicators to move over to pass vehicles parked at the side of the road single carrigways...the instructor kept telling me off saying its not correct.

Its hard to get out of the habit...love the hear others views on this subject.

It's not necessary nowadays as you'll be constantly signalling due to the amount of parked cars on the roads and it can be incorrectly misinterpreted by other road users.

I would only put a signal on to pass a parked vehicle if you felt it absolutely necessary and the signal would definitely help the developing situation.

It's an unnecessary and potentially misleading use of signal. On test you'd probably get a driving/riding fault for it.

If you want to be sure you're indicating your intention use road position. And shoulder check

It's an unnecessary and potentially misleading use of signal. On test you'd probably get a driving/riding fault for it.

If you want to be sure you're indicating your intention use road position. And shoulder check

same applies in a car too so god knows why you have picked the habit up from driving cars!!!

its only large vehicles that have due to the fact you cant see whats in front of them

Question guys...been driving cars for 40 years...bikes only during my CBT a few weeks ago.

During the road test I kept using the indicators to move over to pass vehicles parked at the side of the road single carrigways...the instructor kept telling me off saying its not correct.

This was something I found weird on my lessons as a hgv driver I did it without thinking but you soon get the hang of it [emoji6]

So am I correct in thinking they teach truck drivers do do this but not car drivers...I can understand the large vehicle obscuring the view to following vehicles.

So am I correct in thinking they teach truck drivers do do this but not car drivers...I can understand the large vehicle obscuring the view to following vehicles.

They did when I passed mine, The reason they told was if your following a car or bike and reading the road ahead you can see parked cars etc but if your following a truck your view could be obscured.

They did when I passed mine, The reason they told was if your following a car or bike and reading the road ahead you can see parked cars etc but if your following a truck your view could be obscured.

anything larger than a van is taught to indicate for parked cars not just trucks :wink:

and yes they still teach it

• 3 weeks later...
Indicators are for girls anyway :yay: :seeya:

And so are mirrors as you should always be going fastest and overtaking :up:

On a more serious both in cage and on bike for me signalling out for parked cars depends..... Some times I do some times I don't.. Depends on the line of the road/ cars and how much I am repositioning on the road....

I would say it's all down to your road positioning and the traffic around you, if your near to the curb and there's traffic behind you may need to let the following rider - driver know your intensions