I passed...my car test :D

BikerMooFromMars

First time!

Still cannot BELIEVE it! :shock: :mrgreen:

Took it yesterday, I got 9 minors and most were down to being a bit jerky and harsh with the brakes when I started (briefly nervous!). I made the examiner laugh lots, I babbled like an idiot, made him a bit angry because I didn't pull over where he wanted me to and asked him if he was going to show me a diagram for the independent driving :lol: ! But it was all good. I even did the most f*cking BEAUTIFUL 3 point turn I have ever done!!! Although he did say at the end when he said my road sense was good and I told him I'd been a biker for the past 3 and a half years that it showed and I need to slow down! I got a minor for speed once, I think I was going down a hill in a 30 zone and just crept above 30mph on the speedo and I braked a little and dropped a gear. Not sure why he said that otherwise - except I can be a bit nippy pullling out of side roads etc....but always checking when safe to do so etc. And maybe didn't so graciously go over some of those square speed bumps :oops: :D !

Drove Fozzie to the gym & then back home last night - grinning like a crazy biatch! Drove all round Sutton, Cheam and then to my dad's in Bromley today (45mins by car, 30 by bike :lol: !) to take him out for a pint, had a meal, then home - was fine. I loved it, and loved blasting some heavy metal as loud as I wanted :mrgreen: . The Old Man did ask me when I would be selling the bike (long story) - I reminded him how useful it is for work etc. He wants me wrapped in cotton wool after my off. He won't want to know Fozzie & I's possible plans riding to Spain with his 'rents next year... :shock: :lol: !

I really can't believe how much harder I found a manual car than the bike though! Did anyone else ride a motorbike then drive a manual car and find it difficult? It took about an hour til I felt I got the hang of the gears etc on the bike, but took a good few lessons in the car, then I had crap days with it, then good ones. Had about 19 hours of lessons in the end, it was the first and only ever manual car I've driven (Ford Fiesta). I had the most god awful mock test a few weeks ago which ended in tears for the first time and I felt like throwing the towel in, but Fozzie convinced me to carry on and I was totally fine after that...I think it got rid of my tension over it all and I stopped putting so much pressure on myself, stopped thinking so hard, also stopped driving my semi-automatic clutchless smart car (thanks to EAB Steve and my lovely co-worker dentist for that golden nugget of advice!)...worked a treat!

My advice for anyone learning to drive - chill out, don't over-think it, don't drive an automatic car inbetween, get a good recommendation for a driving instructor, and watch videos by World Driving! I told my instructor where everything was under his bonnet (it's a Ford Fiesta in the YouTube vids!) & all the correct answers to the Qs just from watching this over and over and repeating the answers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obBL7_q ... m&index=14 . There are also full length mock tests showing you what a driving test would be like and where the drivers got major and minor faults. The manoeuvre vids etc are also v helpful. I also recommend writing a thankyou card to the instructor before your test. I think the moment I did that I decided I was going to be ok. 8-)

This isn't it for Ermintrude though, but I am mainly only using her to commute (not a bad thing, I still find it immensely fun!) as she doesn't sound so healthy anymore and I so badly want a bigger bike! But my car insurance just went up double :shock: :shock: :shock: , holiday coming up and Fozzie and I have bagged ourselves a house Oop North so the Big Bike Test won't be happening any time soon unfortunately....theory test certificate runs out in October. Watch this space!

Anyhoo, here is my pass photo with Mike Lally, the loveliest instructor in the world :thumb: , and my beautiful Ice Shine Spcial Edition hilariously awesome Smart Car that I am now driving in the dodgy manual mode using the paddles :lol: - I will be driving Chris' car sometimes so I keep up the manual driving...and I really need to get those L plate marks off & clean the alloys!

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/11855528_1604916513109869_2010614922_n_zpsnlmu1mme.jpg

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/11846520_1605474746387379_8318592039276604128_n_zps0s0aabtc.jpg

Edited by BikerMooFromMars

Congrats Moo......knew you'd do it........and bikers make better car drivers...... :wink: 8-) :cheers:

Thanks! I've got my Think Bike sticker in the rear window :D !

Still have to stop myself nodding bikers in the car! OOH - when I got out the car after being told I'd passed I jumped around with my certificate, and a motorbike instructor rode past with 3 learners behind him, looked at me and nodded and I gave him a big thumbs-up! Was *so* awesome!

Congratulations!!

I passed my test on the 25th of last month and I was in the same boat as you but with 2 years on the bike beforehand. My main problem was the gears, having to move the gear stick left and right up and down seemed complicated compared to just up and down but I got the hang of it eventually. Personally I only done 9 hours due to me working away and booking my test but not having time for anymore lessons, however I passed with 4 minors 3 for stalling!!

Bike test is on hold for me due to the new laws counting down the months until April next year then I'll be 24 and can do my das, I would've done my test had it been the old laws then I could've bought the bike I want and not have to buy what they tell me I'm allowed.

Congratulations!!

I passed my test on the 25th of last month and I was in the same boat as you but with 2 years on the bike beforehand. My main problem was the gears, having to move the gear stick left and right up and down seemed complicated compared to just up and down but I got the hang of it eventually. Personally I only done 9 hours due to me working away and booking my test but not having time for anymore lessons, however I passed with 4 minors 3 for stalling!!

Bike test is on hold for me due to the new laws counting down the months until April next year then I'll be 24 and can do my das, I would've done my test had it been the old laws then I could've bought the bike I want and not have to buy what they tell me I'm allowed.

ONLY *NINE* HOURS?!?!

You sir, are a freaking legend!!!!!!! Seriously, I am well impressed!

I know I would've got away with having a lot fewer lessons if I could've driven someone else's manual car inbetween, but Chris has free insurance on his car for a year which doesn't allow learners to drive it. But I'm now insured on his car 3rd party, mine is fully comp. Dear lord I didn't expect the insurance to shoot up, esp not to double!!! REALLY wish I'd have insured Chris as the 1st driver and me as 2nd as we found out it would have cost £500 for the entire year...this is costing me £950 for the year. Have you got a car? Hope your insurance isn't too hefty. Shame you have to wait for the bike test, but will be worth it - we may end up doing the test at a similar time :mrgreen: ! My birthday is in April too :thumb: !

It's great to have the option of the bike or car. Esp the night I passed - we needed food and was chucking it down outside, and Chris wanted to go to the gym. Being in a nice, dry car was the best - and being able to give *him* a lift was so nice too 8-) . I also won't miss my journies into town to buy food, go to shops, go to the doctors etc in ATGATT sweating and sometimes just giving up and going home. Worst one was buying paints and primer etc for my dad in B&Q recently - sent upstairs and downstairs 3 times, escalator not working, sweating like crazy, rucksack painfully heavy then out to the bike in the pissing rain. And physio appointments at hospital are a pain in the arse, long walks in my gear, then taking it off, then putting it all back on :bang: ! But nothing beats the grins I do on my bike or the back of Chris'. I do desperately want a proper bike - I'm hoping I will sort it out for next summer. I really think having a more powerful bike will help with the nerves I sometimes get too. And I look forward to being that person riding a big bike who gives all the L platers nods and makes their day :D ! Cos they still make mine :mrgreen: .

Well done! You look very composed in the pic...I was a sweaty mess after mine!

Thankyou :mrgreen:

OMG I was, I had to take a layer off in my test when we pulled over, my back and legs were covered in sweat, and I'd also had v little sleep before the it all!!!! I fumbled for ages with my sweaty shaking fingers trying to open one of the sweet packets in the car after the questions, just before starting to drive - the instructor looked at me like I was nuts!!! Hahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey hey! Congratulations!

By the way, I was made to feel very old in the queue for the checkout the other day: a woman was saying to her friend "Oh my god - can you believe it's been seven years since I took my driving test?" and I stood there thinking "Yup - and you weren't even born when I took mine!" :cry:

ONLY *NINE* HOURS?!?!

You sir, are a freaking legend!!!!!!! Seriously, I am well impressed!

I know I would've got away with having a lot fewer lessons if I could've driven someone else's manual car inbetween, but Chris has free insurance on his car for a year which doesn't allow learners to drive it. But I'm now insured on his car 3rd party, mine is fully comp. Dear lord I didn't expect the insurance to shoot up, esp not to double!!! REALLY wish I'd have insured Chris as the 1st driver and me as 2nd as we found out it would have cost £500 for the entire year...this is costing me £950 for the year. Have you got a car? Hope your insurance isn't too hefty. Shame you have to wait for the bike test, but will be worth it - we may end up doing the test at a similar time :mrgreen: ! My birthday is in April too :thumb: !

Yeah only nine, ideally id have wanted more but it was difficult to book lessons around work and when I had time my instructor didn't. However I felt comfortable after the first 2 hours of driving, to begin with I thought the car was massive when going down narrow lanes with on coming traffic and I had to tell myself I couldn't filter to the front at the lights!! I have a little fiesta 1.25 cost me £690 for the year so that's not bad compared to yours, however still crazy :( I've done nearly 1500 miles since passing my test travelling around the country for work which has been a big learning curve, we don't have many hills in Norwich and I was recently in Chippenham and there's some crazy steep hills which were fun and then there's rush hour on the m6 where the Highway Code doesn't exist.

I have to agree driving a car is more practical but no where near as fun, I find you get too comfortable with air con and radio etc and forget how dangerous it is being on the road whereas on the bike you're aware of everything going on around you which I think is better. Going crazy not having a bike on hot summers days but I have to think about how much more it will cost me if I do my test now.

By the way, I was made to feel very old in the queue for the checkout the other day: a woman was saying to her friend "Oh my god - can you believe it's been seven years since I took my driving test?" and I stood there thinking "Yup - and you weren't even born when I took mine!" :cry:

Aww bless ya! I hated turning 30 in April haha! Please tell me you just learn to deal with it and get over it as you get older?! I can't imagine I'll ever feel older tbh, I bet you don't - bikers are always more fun :D ! I feel more grown up now I can drive - but mainly cos all my friends did it years ago, and I'm more independent now, so it feels amazing :thumb: .

well done on passing moo and please dont forget that at some point your cbt will run out for the bike and glad to be of help with the advice :thumb: :cheers:

Was given another CBT cert in March last yr by Euro Rider, so it'll last a while yet. Thanks lovely :thumb: , always grateful for all the help you gave moo with the Kymco, and all your 'mazni stories :D

Aww bless ya! I hated turning 30 in April haha! Please tell me you just learn to deal with it and get over it as you get older?! I can't imagine I'll ever feel older tbh, I bet you don't - bikers are always more fun :D ! I feel more grown up now I can drive - but mainly cos all my friends did it years ago, and I'm more independent now, so it feels amazing :thumb: .

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*ck happened.

I'm 42, and feel exactly the same as I did when I was 17. Apart from the bad back. And the knackered knees. And the fact that I'm overweight and so unfit that I can't keep up with my kids, not to mention the massive increase in general intolerance, pedantry and irascibility. But the biggest shock came a couple of months ago, when my wife and I found ourselves home alone for a couple of hours without the kids. Years ago we would have indulged ourselves in a frenzy of animalistic sex, but instead we thought "ooh - we can plant those strawberries!" :crybaby:

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*ck happened.

I'm 42, and feel exactly the same as I did when I was 17. Apart from the bad back. And the knackered knees. And the fact that I'm overweight and so unfit that I can't keep up with my kids, not to mention the massive increase in general intolerance, pedantry and irascibility. But the biggest shock came a couple of months ago, when my wife and I found ourselves home alone for a couple of hours without the kids. Years ago we would have indulged ourselves in a frenzy of animalistic sex, but instead we thought "ooh - we can plant those strawberries!" :crybaby:

This is my dad. He's 55. He hasn't grown up one bit, in fact he has got even more childish as he's got over, except for his occasional anit-socialness watching football!...

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/11836887_1605719829696204_2917226170286352201_n_zpsuui2fywm.jpg

Being a silly sod - 'corn-ear!' :roll: :lol:

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/BikerMooFromMars/11866248_1605376449730542_2943155170867556096_n_zpsazqazsle.jpg

This is apparently a 'P' for me Passing my test?! :lol:

He still makes everyone in the room laugh, playfights me and everyone else, his laugh is infectious. He still attempts all the silly shit people usually stop doing when they're kids. He's been through a lot, but it never shows. And his knees are knackered, he is 'flat footed' and still gets phantom pains in his arm. But doesn't let it bother him too much. The only signs of aging are obviously on the outside - the drinking and smoking doesn't help! He had an allotment he loved and obsesses over his garden, but it's nice, gives him something else to focus on other than his work that would otherwise consume his life too much. I think he's awesome 8-) ! You're only 42!

You don't have to always be randy to feel young! Maybe that time for planting those strawberries was what you both really needed and wanted right then - chill time without the kids...who cares anyway as long as you're happy and doing stuff you enjoy. 8-) :thumb:

I'm gonna try to take more after him, my stepmum, nan and great aunt Eileen as I grow up - they're all nutters! My mum is unfortunately the complete opposite - almost 60 and all she does is complain about *everything*. I love her to bits but she drives me crazy!