Self employed

Classickid21

Hi, in august i went self employed garden and landscaping as the guy i was working for was leaving me to all the work and i wasn't getting much out of it, so i started up and things was ticking over nicely but now the cold weather is here i have no work, i have looked at orher jobs i am applying for everything even the subcontracting work has fizzled out. I have looked at low in come tax witch you have to me 25+

Then i tried working tax credits again you have to be 25

I am 23 in January i can't seem to find anything only that can point me in the right direction?

Someone also suggested there is grants to help set up a business but no joys ?

Has any one every started from ground up and self employed

I've been building a little engineering firm on the side for the past year or so. One thing I quickly learned is little advertising equals little business. Fine for me as it's not my main income at the moment. Things come my way in fits and starts - turning jobs away one month then kicking my heels the next so the cash flow fluctuates quite a bit.

I would have thought an ad in the paper or a bit of door knocking would see you a bit of clearing work or hedge hacking at this time of year.

I've been building a little engineering firm on the side for the past year or so. One thing I quickly learned is little advertising equals little business. Fine for me as it's not my main income at the moment. Things come my way in fits and starts - turning jobs away one month then kicking my heels the next so the cash flow fluctuates quite a bit.

I would have thought an ad in the paper or a bit of door knocking would see you a bit of clearing work or hedge hacking at this time of year.

Hello :)

I set up a website http://www.scottsgardenandlandscaping.com

Fancy leaflets and flyers had few jobs from salvation army and other church's and been sorting some little jobs been out putting flyers up leafletting gumtree online adverts etc

And then i have the weather against me but i never turn a job away rather keep everyone happy :)

Try and sell it as preparing the garden for Christmas when everyone comes round, no one wants a messy garden when the family is there!

You could also offer things like fencing and shed repairs.

Try and sell it as preparing the garden for Christmas when everyone comes round, no one wants a messy garden when the family is there!

You could also offer things like fencing and shed repairs.

Yeh .. We always sit in the garden nibbling Turkey and pulling crackers round the table.

Contact your local council to see what business grants are available, they sometimes offer start up business advice too, as may your bank. Research grants. Write a business plan, this way you can plan for dips in trade. Many businesses fail without a business plan, you can get templates online.

I started up a partnership and got some free courses and also applied to a local trust and got £2500

Can you make things with wood, such as bird boxes and those reindeer made out of logs?

In January sell the idea of getting garden equipment ready for the new year? Offer a little discount.

I was lucky enough to to have a part time job with the council so knew I would get that money each month to pay the bills. If you get a little job, stick with it whilst the business builds.

Just some thoughts :) good luck

You may be able to get work at B+Q?

Those guys always have a regular staff turn around, and usually only start people on 16 hour contracts.

It may help you when your own work picks up too?

Don't expect mega money though!

My Father in Law ran his own gardening business for a good few years, did well out of it as well (even took courses on things like dry stone walling so he could offer that to his clients) but between October and March he fell back on his old trade of a Truck Mechanic as it was the only way he could make it work for him.

I think with any seasonal type of work you need something else to fall back on.

I used to run my own business and have worked fairly high up in coorporate business as well.

I am more than happy to help out if you like.

There are business loans available for start up businesses if you google start up business loans you will find a government website that gives you all the info.

A big part of it though is finding your USP (Unique selling point), which could be something you could do in peoples gardens over the winter, I dont could you start putting in rockeries or features in the garden ready for spring, or working on trees maybe?

Also, could you offer a gutter cleaning service and or window cleaning service alongside the gardening?

You need to be careful your message isnt lost by offering to many services but something to help out in the winter would be good.

if you do clean guttering, actually clean it. not like the last chap who came round to mine and cleared out the guttering, but didn't clean up the facias or windows that he smeared in crap!

your website doesn't have a business number, nor does it have a registered address. a land line number is also great (you can forward to your mobile). These are things I look for when I'm searching for a trade. Also your we

perhaps you can turn some of the skills you pick up gardening to other trades. bricklayers are commanding excellent wages at the moment - you could get yourself to college and subcontract yourself as a bricky.

It takes bottle to go it alone and it's admirable to see you can do o.k. when the seasonal aspect is on your favour. You just need another string or two to your bow to cover the poor weather that's all. Simpler things to offer are trades such as painting, tree surgery and window cleaning, none of which are that demanding in terms of learning the skills or require much more outlay or equipment. Not quite sure how the window cleaning goes in winter but i still see the vans/workers out in the early hours of central Oxford, so they must still be earning a trade.

Don't offer carpentry work though, you need too much experience and a Transit full up of tools! :lol:

your website doesn't have a business number, nor does it have a registered address. a land line number is also great (you can forward to your mobile). These are things I look for when I'm searching for a trade.

If they don't have these things on their website or vehicles then I assume they are pikeys and stay well clear. Look at all the dodgy driveway people going about. Unmarked vehicles with just a mobile number to contact them.

• 2 weeks later...
Contact your local council to see what business grants are available, they sometimes offer start up business advice too, as may your bank. Research grants. Write a business plan, this way you can plan for dips in trade. Many businesses fail without a business plan, you can get templates online.

I started up a partnership and got some free courses and also applied to a local trust and got £2500

Can you make things with wood, such as bird boxes and those reindeer made out of logs?

In January sell the idea of getting garden equipment ready for the new year? Offer a little discount.

I was lucky enough to to have a part time job with the council so knew I would get that money each month to pay the bills. If you get a little job, stick with it whilst the business builds.

Just some thoughts :) good luck

Thank you so much, i am going to look into the grants and the business plan :) i am doing some sub contracting on the side but its only once a week if i am lucky

your website doesn't have a business number, nor does it have a registered address. a land line number is also great (you can forward to your mobile). These are things I look for when I'm searching for a trade.

If they don't have these things on their website or vehicles then I assume they are pikeys and stay well clear. Look at all the dodgy driveway people going about. Unmarked vehicles with just a mobile number to contact them.

I wont put my address on the website its bad enough its on google. Last year on new years eve in had our garage broken into then october 2014 we had the shed/work shop broken into.

I have left my contact email address on there as still need to sort a business phone number out

It takes bottle to go it alone and it's admirable to see you can do o.k. when the seasonal aspect is on your favour. You just need another string or two to your bow to cover the poor weather that's all. Simpler things to offer are trades such as painting, tree surgery and window cleaning, none of which are that demanding in terms of learning the skills or require much more outlay or equipment. Not quite sure how the window cleaning goes in winter but i still see the vans/workers out in the early hours of central Oxford, so they must still be earning a trade.

Don't offer carpentry work though, you need too much experience and a Transit full up of tools! :lol:

I looked into the tree surgey course its 2500 and college course experience how to harness up and chop etc i don't have the funds at the moment but its something that will come later.

As a self emp landscaper i can cut a tree if already fallen.

And i have tools many tools ;) i do like my tools inam like a kid in toy shop but a big kid in a snap on van :D i am soon to pass my car test and many pennies are being saved to buy a cheap van :) Once i am more Mobile i can do courier work in the winter

I used to run my own business and have worked fairly high up in coorporate business as well.

I am more than happy to help out if you like.

There are business loans available for start up businesses if you google start up business loans you will find a government website that gives you all the info.

A big part of it though is finding your USP (Unique selling point), which could be something you could do in peoples gardens over the winter, I dont could you start putting in rockeries or features in the garden ready for spring, or working on trees maybe?

Also, could you offer a gutter cleaning service and or window cleaning service alongside the gardening?

You need to be careful your message isnt lost by offering to many services but something to help out in the winter would be good.

Hii great bit of info :) i have looked at loans but i currently not maken enough to bring anything in to pay it back, always been against loans really don't want to get into debt before it starts up.

My friend who created the website also mentioned the gutter cleaning i have been looking into it could be a good job. Its firguring out how much i could charge

if you do clean guttering, actually clean it. not like the last chap who came round to mine and cleared out the guttering, but didn't clean up the facias or windows that he smeared in crap!

your website doesn't have a business number, nor does it have a registered address. a land line number is also great (you can forward to your mobile). These are things I look for when I'm searching for a trade. Also your we

perhaps you can turn some of the skills you pick up gardening to other trades. bricklayers are commanding excellent wages at the moment - you could get yourself to college and subcontract yourself as a bricky.

He sounds pleasent ill keep that in mind.

The number i am in the process of sorting a business phone out. Will be added soon but the address i wont add as i have been broken into last year twice. I have looked into getting back into college, its all money i don't have if i subcontract i need a cscs and qualifications even as a labourer.

Cscs card is only about £20s but you still need qualifications. If i was to go bavk to college it would be todo my final years of mechanics mot test etc

Something i have been doing on the side was i brought two shabby honda nsr125s that i was going to restore, but because of work situation i have started breaking them, put majourity of parts on ebay.

Witch is trickling money in. So the kawk er5 witch i named ernie is on hold no more has been done.

Its slowly trickling it i have loads of bits to go on evil bay,

Honda nsr125 jc20 and jc22 listed

My old stomp 125 little field bike.

Due to go on is a yamaha t80

Honda chaly cf70 project

Loads of various parts and bits and bobs i have picked up in the past.

So these bits should keep me trickling over for now.