How to report someone driving with no MOT

Classickid21

If he has no MOT then he is not insured

That is not strictly true. There has to be a term in the small print (t's & c's) that specifically states that policies will be voided if there is no current and valid MOT in force.

It does not prevent anyone making a claim as again third party cover would remain in place, and for the insurer to not cover the third party liablity it would have to be proven that the lack of MOT contributed to the cause of the accident, but in any case regardless, if the cause of the crash was caused by the third party, it does not preclude anyone from making a claim.

For example a numpty who chooses to ride his bike without his crash helmet on and gets taken out by a SMIDSY type crash.

Rider is a fool for riding without his helmet and it is illegal but it does not preclude him from making (assuming he was injured) a personal injury claim. He would have to accept up to a 25% reduction in his settlement for contributory negligence, but the claim would still be valid.

As far as the reporting of No MOT is concerned, then report it to the local Police, they are the primary enforcement authority here in the UK.

Tell the driver, leave him a note.

Could be innocent mistake.

I have seen it around alot lately so ill put on the note learn how to drive you beep beep and you MOT isn't valid you beeper.

Instead of involving the plastic force

Thought it was all monitored and flagged electronically now?

He could get caught if he drives past an APNR camera. Mostly in city centres and smart motorways.

You will automatically get a fine if you have not TAX or SORN. You vehicle does not have to be on the road to et a fine.

If its on the road you must have tax, If sits off the road tax or SORN.

To get you for no MOT they have to catch you on the road.

A letter on his windscreen is a good start, DVLA are not always accurate. They got the VIN number wrong on my V5 for my car, wasn't spotted until the MOT & DVLA records did not match. Took ages to sort out

I have Checked on askmid its insured (a5 ldy) landrover disco silver i grabbed a snap shot of it last night.

It has tax looked on total car check

Why are you checking on askmid?

did you miss this bit?

2. Data Protection Declaration and Vehicle Ownership Statement

I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.

I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry.

I confirm that: I have read and understood the data protection declaration, one of the options stated above applies to me and I agree to the terms of use as stated on this website.

if you have concerns of him driving like a nob then report him and let the police deal with it you don't have to go digging for more info and risk getting done yourself!!

I have Checked on askmid its insured (a5 ldy) landrover disco silver i grabbed a snap shot of it last night.

It has tax looked on total car check

Why are you checking on askmid?

did you miss this bit?

2. Data Protection Declaration and Vehicle Ownership Statement

I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.

I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry.

I confirm that: I have read and understood the data protection declaration, one of the options stated above applies to me and I agree to the terms of use as stated on this website.

if you have concerns of him driving like a nob then report him and let the police deal with it you don't have to go digging for more info and risk getting done yourself!!

I'm interested as to what part of the data protection act him obtaining the data contravenes.

Data protection act covers how you can store the data and who you share it with as I have been taught it. It's the computer misuse act that may be breached but even then, not convinced. Most likely breach of the site agreement is what has happened. To many people hide behind data protection act when it isn't applicable.

I'm interested as to what part of the data protection act him obtaining the data contravenes.

according to the website this bit

55 Unlawful obtaining etc. of personal data.

(1)A person must not knowingly or recklessly, without the consent of the data controller—

(a)obtain or disclose personal data or the information contained in personal data, or

(b)procure the disclosure to another person of the information contained in personal data.

(2)Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who shows—

(a)that the obtaining, disclosing or procuring—

(i)was necessary for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime, or

(ii)was required or authorised by or under any enactment, by any rule of law or by the order of a court,

(b)that he acted in the reasonable belief that he had in law the right to obtain or disclose the data or information or, as the case may be, to procure the disclosure of the information to the other person,

©that he acted in the reasonable belief that he would have had the consent of the data controller if the data controller had known of the obtaining, disclosing or procuring and the circumstances of it, or

(d)that in the particular circumstances the obtaining, disclosing or procuring was justified as being in the public interest.

(3)A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(4)A person who sells personal data is guilty of an offence if he has obtained the data in contravention of subsection (1).

(5)A person who offers to sell personal data is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he has obtained the data in contravention of subsection (1), or

(b)he subsequently obtains the data in contravention of that subsection.

(6)For the purposes of subsection (5), an advertisement indicating that personal data are or may be for sale is an offer to sell the data.

(7)Section 1(2) does not apply for the purposes of this section; and for the purposes of subsections (4) to (6), “personal data” includes information extracted from personal data.

(8)References in this section to personal data do not include references to personal data which by virtue of section 28 [F1or 33A] are exempt from this section.

PS I haven't read it nor can I be bothered :lol:

I just don't see the point in going round getting peoples vehicle status!

so therefore subsection 2 is irrelevant in this then? so checking someone's details is against the law?

55 Unlawful obtaining etc. of personal data.

(1)A person must not knowingly or recklessly, without the consent of the data controller—

(a)obtain or disclose personal data or the information contained in personal data, or

(b)procure the disclosure to another person of the information contained in personal data.

(2)Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who shows—

(a)that the obtaining, disclosing or procuring—

(i)was necessary for the purpose of preventing or detecting crime, or

(ii)was required or authorised by or under any enactment, by any rule of law or by the order of a court,

(b)that he acted in the reasonable belief that he had in law the right to obtain or disclose the data or information or, as the case may be, to procure the disclosure of the information to the other person,

©that he acted in the reasonable belief that he would have had the consent of the data controller if the data controller had known of the obtaining, disclosing or procuring and the circumstances of it, or

(d)that in the particular circumstances the obtaining, disclosing or procuring was justified as being in the public interest.

(3)A person who contravenes subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(4)A person who sells personal data is guilty of an offence if he has obtained the data in contravention of subsection (1).

(5)A person who offers to sell personal data is guilty of an offence if—

(a)he has obtained the data in contravention of subsection (1), or

(b)he subsequently obtains the data in contravention of that subsection.

(6)For the purposes of subsection (5), an advertisement indicating that personal data are or may be for sale is an offer to sell the data.

(7)Section 1(2) does not apply for the purposes of this section; and for the purposes of subsections (4) to (6), “personal data” includes information extracted from personal data.

(8)References in this section to personal data do not include references to personal data which by virtue of section 28 [F1or 33A] are exempt from this section.

Yeh he should have an MOT, but as someone said he might just have forgot, once he gets an mot that won't stop him driving like a nob.

So what is he doing to drive like a nob ... or is it some one who's has pissed you off in another way and your trying to get back at em... an ex lover or something :D

i would of thought that these days with road tax being online it would flag up that mot had run out and dvla would or should then cancel road tax as the car/bike shouldnt be used on a public hghway without mot for which all the data is online but then we are talking about dvla actually doing something correct so maybe not

Yeh he should have an MOT, but as someone said he might just have forgot, once he gets an mot that won't stop him driving like a nob.

So what is he doing to drive like a nob ... or is it some one who's has pissed you off in another way and your trying to get back at em... an ex lover or something :D

Update the landy was parked in super market... Funny thing is it was someone i new knew, and he said the mot isn't due ? I showed him the app that said different, he wrung up his uncle and booked it in for a MOT so is he driving around too and from places saying his going to the mot station ?