CBT passed, can I buy a bike and ride it to my garage?

Hello,

I have passed my first CBT yesterday. I would like to buy a bike now and I have a couple of questions.

Can I ride it to my garage the moment I buy it since it will not be insured on my name at that moment? Is there any kind of temporary insurance that I can get just for the day? What is usual procedure for buying a new bike - assuming you can't ride it until you get insurance? How do you transport it at your place? Do I have to book a van that will transport it or there is some other way?

I plan on doing DAS as soon as possible. I will be 24 in two and a half months. Which bike do you recommend? I would like to gain some experience on it before doing full test. I thought about Honda CBR125R, Yamaha YBR125 or YZF125? Do you think any of these would be good for starters? I was told that CBR125R might not be a good first choice since it is harder to steer. What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Nikola

first of all you will need to tax it and insure it before you can put a single wheel on the road otherwise you could get a nice big fine and points too

if you dont want to insure it straight away then you will have to get a van/trailer

if you are planning on doing DAS then why not look at something bigger than a 125?

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I would like to pay tax and insure it right away. I just wasn't sure if that was possible at the same moment I buy the bike.

Also, I don't think I can ride anything that is more than 125cc with only CBT. That is the reason why I am starting with a smaller bike.

what I mean is wait till you are 24 and you have done the DAS if you rush out and buy a 125 it may end up been a waste of time as you might want a bigger bike

as for insurance when you find the bike you want get your insurance quotes before you go look find the insurance company you are going to use then ring them up at the same time as buying it and start your insurance there and then

Thanks, that makes sense.

I am too impatient to wait for almost 3 more months and then start doing DAS. Also, I have recently moved to UK and I feel like having some practice on the road might be really useful.

I might get 125cc for now and then put it on sale when I turn 24.

If you did then as long as you get the reg you can insure from a specific date and when you get the v5 there's a reference for new owner you can use to tax online immediately with the dvla website.

If i was you i would do cbt then move straight onto learning on a big bike, even if thats only a 500cc A2 bike because your 23, they arent too different to the 600 for DAS. Couple lessons on the 600 after your 24th bday and your set...

Most bike dealers will deliver for free if your local so you can have your first ride from your home where you are more comfortable.

careful as you might buy a 125, want to sell after 3 months and upgrade insurance to 600 and they either

a) charge you a fortune to cancel the policy on the 125

b) charge you a fortune to change your bike details

c) charge you a fortune for the new bike

The insurers properly have you over a barrel, there's a few posts on here about it.

I'm with the previous post, pass the cbt, do a few lessons on a 500 to keep your experience going and practice MOD1, then switch to 600 for a couple of lessons, then do the tests. 3 months will fly past.

prepare on a 500, if you can do it on that, you'll be fine on the 600 as soon as you are 24.

Probably save you a few quid for some bits when you buy your first bike

Thanks for the advice. It makes a lot of sense actually.

How much are the lessons on 500cc? Does it usually include all training required for MOD1 and MOD2?

Also, I assume I should at least get my own gear such as helmet, jacket and gloves?

Lesson cost will be as per normal das. Budget between 500 and a 1000 probably, imcluding exams, hard to say as you don't know how many lessons you'll get through and if you'll pass first time. Cost me around 1k as I loved learning so much I decided to fail mod 1 twice so I could have another go :booty:

Riding school will have gear you can borrow but given its probably a bit nasty and battered it wouldn't hurt to at least get your own helmet and gloves as a minimum. This time of year you'll want textiles really so depends if you were planning to buy some or if you'll only be a fair weather rider after you pass

i didn't read all of it above but enough^^ :) Just ring a man with a van collect then saves having any issues on the way home. or ask them nicely if you pay bit extra can they delivery it :) most people are okay with it i have deliver alot of bikes in my time.

I know I might be late but this may come in handy for someone else in the same boat

Bought a brand new 125 in July 15

This was the way it went

Put down deposit on a Saturday

Week later went and payed the rest, agreed to have the bike delivered on the Monday ONCE he had proof of insurance

He was adamant he wasn't letting me have the bike until he knew I was insured

Monday morning insured the bike, e-mailed the documents and proof over to the man in the shop

Unfortunately there was some admin problem to do with road tax so I had the bike delivered first thing the next morning

I'm not sure whether he was being overcautious or if it's the law with regards to not letting me have the bike until I was insured but there you go

I'm not sure whether he was being overcautious or if it's the law with regards to not letting me have the bike until I was insured but there you go

It is called knowingly aid an abet no insurance and no tax, and he can be as liable for the offence if you get stopped as much as you are liable.

In other words, the dealer has a duty of care to ensure that everything is legal and above board before he releases the bike.

I know I might be late but this may come in handy for someone else in the same boat

Bought a brand new 125 in July 15

This was the way it went

Put down deposit on a Saturday

Week later went and payed the rest, agreed to have the bike delivered on the Monday ONCE he had proof of insurance

He was adamant he wasn't letting me have the bike until he knew I was insured

Monday morning insured the bike, e-mailed the documents and proof over to the man in the shop

Unfortunately there was some admin problem to do with road tax so I had the bike delivered first thing the next morning

Sounds like you found a pretty shite dealer if they wouldn't even deliver the bike without you having insured it already!

Edited by RantMachine

As TC says. No dealer will let you drive away unless tax and insurance ( MOT where necessary) is in place and valid.

Sounds like you found a pretty shite dealer!

The shite dealers are the ones who will sell take your money and then do nothing more than get you off the premises as quickly as possible.

In the case of a dealer making sure that it is taxed and insured, that is the dealer I would want to spend my money with as their service is going beyond just taking your hard earnt cash, it suggests that they want you to come back in the future :) Also shows that they have your welfare at heart.

Interesting info there TC.

I've bought new and not-so-new bikes and cars, both on finance and with cash. The only instances of a dealer wanting to see insurance details was when I bought new, regardless of whether they are main dealer or otherwise.

But if there is no road tax on the vehicle there needs to be insurance on the vehicle in order to get the road tax. When I have bought cars or bikes from a dealer, road tax was always required hence the need for an insurance cover note in the old days.

Now with everything on line, when I bought the last bike, phoned insurance with date of pickup, went to dealer and taxed it at the dealership all online. The MOT was part of the deal.