Brake cleaner on chain?

KTM21

I recently got a spray from wurth called brake and chain cleaner and it was fantastic at removing grime from the chain. But 500ml went so quick. Seen as it can be used on brakes aswell as chains, could you just use standard brake cleaner to clean a motorcycle chain. The wurth brake and chain is about £9 for 500ml but on ebay you can get 6 x 600ml cans of hycote brake cleaner for £17. Even if it's not as good as the wurth one, I'll have enough of it to do a good job. Also I've got a standard roller chain so I don't have to worry about o-rings etc. So can you use standard brake cleaner to clean a motorcycle chain?

I use paraffin too, and an old work places branded t shirt (that'll teach them to make me redundant! Lol)

Cheap as chips down your local DIY store (support the local family shop!)

Brake cleaner no, it will dry up o-rings the stuff you have will be kind to o-rings. How ever i have just had a thought what about carb cleaner?........ Thats kind to o-rings

However i use parrafin its great at cleaning grease and grime

Y'big wuss, chain adjustments are as simple as it gets :lol:

It's more the fact this is the third time in a month due to various things... and the first time I broke all my thigh mussels by doing about 8 million squats without warming up :lol:

The chain on my old Lexmoto needed adjusting on a weekly basis, towards the end of its life it was more like once per ride... and then the Lextek chain I got as a replacement needed adjusting MID ride sometimes :roll:

cant beat a bit of chinese quality parts

whats this chain thing you speak of :peep:

Don't you start!! :lol:

Annoyingly as my rear wheel was off to fix a puncture I have to adjust teh chain AGAIN!! arghghghghghgh

You meant they did not adjust it on refitting after the repair. :roll:

So what are you guys using to lube the chain the then? I'm using wurth dry chain lube but I don't think it's much good, my chain has actually developed light surface rust since I started using it. What are some good 'wet' chain lubes that don't cost a fortune?

I've used Wurth dry lube and it's fine so long as the chain is nice and warm. Otherwise it solidifies on contact and doesn't seep in.

I use Castrol Racing chain lube nowadays - works a treat and doesn't fling much.