What protective clothing to buy?

Hi guys,

I'll shortly be getting my first motorbike. I'm currently in the progress of completing my DAS course.

I'm thinking of getting some protective clothing and would like to know if the following trousers are decent or will they fall apart in an accident? I don't understand the quality ratings. If they're ok I'll probably look for a jacket they'll zip into. Open to all advice though.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251281049316&globalID=EBAY-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you

:)

Welcome to TMBF mate. ....pop over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the guys when you can. ...... 8-)

The trousers look ok, but as to how waterproof they are or how well they'd stand up to an accident is hard to say...... :wink:

Hi thanks for the friendly welcome tango I'll go over there and introduce myself right now.

Do you have any other recommendations on what I should be buying. I do love the camos but protection which is guaranteed comes first :D

Thank you mate

You're welcome mate...... 8-)

Choosing bike gear is pretty tough mate......Most agree that leather is best for abrasion resistance, but waterproof leathers are expensive! For a new rider I'd say a set of textiles is a good start......A lot of guys rate RST gear, which is usually pretty reasonably priced....but nowhere near as cheap as those camouflage trousers you linked..... :wink: I'm sure there's some decent camo stuff about, but I'll leave that for others to suggest what's good or not....... :wink:

These look ok......but I've not had any, so it's just my perception. ...... https://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/motorcycle_clothing/clothing/mens_clothing/textile_trousers-2/jts_combat_waterproof_motorcycle_trousers/camo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use rst textiles. Defo keep the water out as do the rst trachtech Evo waterproof boots.

I trust my rst kit on my gsxr 750 though in the wet I am not going to push it.

Those boots are about £120 so can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I use rst textiles. Defo keep the water out as do the rst trachtech Evo waterproof boots.

I trust my rst kit on my gsxr 750 though in the wet I am not going to push it.

Those boots are about £120 so can't complain.

Got some myself. Good boot. Just make sure you vet the waterproof version. They are £10 extra. Can't fault them so far. Better than £200 plus smx plus.

Have a good long hard think about clothing. Its the difference between life and death.

If you want some kevlar jeans get top end ones not £35 ones. They won't protect anything.

Jacket wise get a good quality one,not a £50 j and s job because its like a coat.

Rst boots are quality

Get a good quality lid.

If it was me I'd set £800 aside for gear.

You could probably do a decent kit set for 400 to 500 if you check clearance items of decent brands where they are changing their stock line.

Having said that my kit is totalling about 1300 I think :/ but if it saves my ass then money well spent.

I thought that sounded a lot until I added up my gear :lol:

You could probably do a decent kit set for 400 to 500 if you check clearance items of decent brands where they are changing their stock line.

Also if there's any shows near you, the last day often yields some bargains!

I thought that sounded a lot until I added up my gear :lol:

Also if there's any shows near you, the last day often yields some bargains!

And then you need to factor in hot weather gear and wet weather gear.. you'll soon end up with two of everything and be close to 1500out of pocket!! But that's all part of the game :cheers:

I tend to wear a leather jacket with space for a fleece under neath and a pair of motorcycle jeans with space for thermals under neath. I then carry a set of waterproofs for when it really rains but if it's spitting/light rain the leather jacket is fine :) A pair of leather gloves/boots and a caberg v2rr helmet.

All in all about £400 worth of kit (helmet being £150 of that) It's worth shopping around and as others have said check for trade shows last day sales etc.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I've decided to get a set of alpinestars, does this one look ok? I know the listings ended but just for example, and what price would it be worth?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=162092197060&globalID=EBAY-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other ones I'm considering is a alpinestars stunt 2, or a alpinestars triumph rc-1 jackets, both of which I'd buy a* trousers separate to zip into.

Thank you again

:thumb:

Scrap that I took your advice and got myself an RST pro series CPX-C in black used n very good condition for £100! So around £70 cheaper than new.. I'm happy with that!

Now all I need is some trousers to zip it onto?

Rst clothing looks better than the alpinestars!

:cheers:

Haha - I was just going to post this. (very cool choice by the way!)

First - secondhand is defo the way to go - except for the lid of course. You can (and probably most of us have) pick up great kit at reasonable prices that way.

Next - I'd reckon that Alpinestars make generally good, reliable kit (I had a pair of AS boots that disprove this, but hey ho). You won't go wrong with AS leathers. The only thing to watch for with leathers is that they should fit well to ensure you get good protection. Best to try to them on or to be prepared to return them.

Dunno about the price on this one... from what I've seen, the price of secondhand leathers on ebay is inversely proportion to the square inches of bright colours. So if lots of purple and red are your thing, you'd be in there for under 50 quid. But black and white - dunno - out of my price range :wink:

Also, a big question what kind of riding are you planning on doing? Leathers are great for Sunday rides out the coast when the nice weather comes, but they get a bit warm on a hot day, unpleasantly icy in winter and soggy in rain. This is fine if you're biking purely for pleasure and you can fit your riding around the weather forecast. But if you're thinking that you might use the bike as a way of getting about, and particularly if you're planning on commuting, then you'd be better off starting with a set of 3-season textiles. What you want is something with a promise of waterproofing (even though this will always be very overstated unless you buy goretex @ £££) good Cordura material, YKK zips, and a detachable thermal liner which you can hoik out in the summer to avoid arriving at your destination ready-basted. The thing about textiles is that they're worn more loose than leathers, so you have the flexibilty of wearing just a T shirt under the jacket in the summer, while in winter you can pile on layers after layer of fleeces and windproofing.

Hi guys,

I'll shortly be getting my first motorbike. I'm currently in the progress of completing my DAS course.

I'm thinking of getting some protective clothing and would like to know if the following trousers are decent or will they fall apart in an accident? I don't understand the quality ratings. If they're ok I'll probably look for a jacket they'll zip into. Open to all advice though.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251281049316&globalID=EBAY-GB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you

:)

Probably they will fall apart. Let me explain. Long story short there is a CE standard to test motorcycle protective clothing. Most manufacturers cannot produce that quality clothing. They just play dirty little games saying: "CE rated armour" pants or jacket. That means the actual textile material and seams ARE NOT tested for tear and abrassion according to the CE starndard. Does not matter if the jacket zips to the pants if they both tear in 1 second.

Do not get me wrong it is better to have a clothes with at least CE armor than nothing. But do not expect miracles. You hit the tarmac with this - it will tear and your ass will peel. I hate leather pants. Having said that leather has better ressistance for abrassion. Even if it is not CE tested. Or good kevlar jeans that are tested to CE level 2 with any second hand good leather jacket are way better than the kamo pants.

Personally I wear textiles Furygan Titan jacket and Duke pants - both fully approved to CE level 2 for tear and abrassion.

I also bought from ebay as new Wolf racing leather jacket for £40. If you do not want to spend much money, but want decent protection you need to get second hand leather from ebay. IMO you can find decent kevlar jeans around £100.

CE: European Standards EN 13595 jackets, pants & one piece suits, EN 13594 Gloves, EN 13634 Footwear,

EN 1621-1 Separate or combined protectors for shoulder, elbow, hips and knees

EN 1621-2 Back protector for motorcyclists has two levels 1 and 2.

Many manufacturers refer to EN 1621 which is for armour including back protectors but this covers only the armour not the garment itself. That means the actual textile material has not been test and approved for tear and abrasion!

EN 13595 has 2 test levels, Level 1 and Level 2. Level 2 giving a higher level of protection.

Tested: Usually means that the manufacturer tested the garment sample or samples in their own facility to meet (possibly) certain standards. But the sample may not have been sent to a certified testing facility for the official testing procedures.

Certified: Garment samples were tested at a certified testing facility and may have passed specific tests in one or more zones.

Approved: To be "CE Approved", multiple samples of the garment must have been tested by a certified facility and certified to meet or exceed the relevant standards in all zones.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ce-approved-clothing-master-list.783126/page-15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-clothing/ce-certified-vs-approved.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally for gawd sake get a proper long boots not ankle. I've done low speed crash in "army boots" - have a broken toe. Done much faster offs in my Alpinestars SMX5s - do not have even a scratch.

Definitely get two piece. One piece leather suits on the road are a nightmare. If you ever need to stop for a poo at a motorway service station you will realise why!!

Can't go wrong with RST jacket and trousers IMO.

Thanks Guys!

I purchased a 2nd hand (like new) RST Pro series black white jacket on eBay for £110. (£60 cheaper than new)

Also I got a set of New RST Blade trousers on eBay for £119. (£50 cheaper than new)

Total Cost = £229.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NVgxNjAw/z/a-QAAOSwOVpXVC9l/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTUwNFgxNjAw/z/Vn4AAOSwiYFXF~AY/$_57.JPG

Also the Jacket comes with a Free RST Vest??? This is not a liner, the jacket has that too. Whats this vest used for?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NVgxNjAw/z/6NsAAOSwepJXVC-T/$_57.JPG

Just need boots now, I love the RST Tractech EVO boots in white/black. but they arent waterproof! only the black one for £10 more. Are there any other good brands of boots? As for gloves, I'll maybe get some RST ones - any decent ones to look out for on eBay? And helmet, I'm browsing the Sharp website at ratings. Maybe get a decent white or black one, needs a drop down sunglass visor. They're cool.

Then the final task will be to decide on what bike to buy!!.... Oh, the can of worms, 250cc for beginner or jump to 600cc.... :cheers:

About the helmet - my advice would be to go find a place where you can try some on.

Heads don't just come in all sizes, they come in all shapes too, so knowing that a helmet is 56 or a Small doesn't help you get a one that fits well. And good fit is everything. Dunno if you've bought a helmet before but if not you'll find the advice from the people on the store really helpful: they know what a good fit should look like; for it me at least, it was way tighter than I was expecting. They can also advise you on what might fit you. Before you part with your cash, I'd also recommend you wear the thing for a while - 10 minutes? more if you can - to make sure it's comfortable. An uncomfortable lid is a real pain and can be a distraction when riding.

How much to spend on a lid? Some people say that it's your head you're protecting, and you should spend as much as you can afford. I guess I'm in the other camp; as long as you stick to a recognised brand the lid will give you good protection, and like you say you can check the Sharp ratings if you want. As I see it , the lids that are more comfortable, quieter and have better venting tend to cost more. But there are loads of people who swear by their budget brand and think it's greatest helmet on earth, and why not if works for them?

Thanks Guys!

I purchased a 2nd hand (like new) RST Pro series black white jacket on eBay for £110. (£60 cheaper than new)

Also I got a set of New RST Blade trousers on eBay for £119. (£50 cheaper than new)

Total Cost = £229.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NVgxNjAw/z/a-QAAOSwOVpXVC9l/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTUwNFgxNjAw/z/Vn4AAOSwiYFXF~AY/$_57.JPG

Also the Jacket comes with a Free RST Vest??? This is not a liner, the jacket has that too. Whats this vest used for?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NVgxNjAw/z/6NsAAOSwepJXVC-T/$_57.JPG

Just need boots now, I love the RST Tractech EVO boots in white/black. but they arent waterproof! only the black one for £10 more. Are there any other good brands of boots? As for gloves, I'll maybe get some RST ones - any decent ones to look out for on eBay? And helmet, I'm browsing the Sharp website at ratings. Maybe get a decent white or black one, needs a drop down sunglass visor. They're cool.

Then the final task will be to decide on what bike to buy!!.... Oh, the can of worms, 250cc for beginner or jump to 600cc.... :cheers:

Good choice, I have that jacket and it's spot on. The vest is a sort of wind proof under layer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got RST pro series jacket with the same vest thingy.

It's useful as it packs away small. keeping warm on a bike is all about layers so nice to have the option to add another layer when it's getting a bit chilly.

Only complaint - it would be great if it was long sleeved. The stretch panels in the arms let the wind in and you get cold arms.

Only complaint - it would be great if it was long sleeved. The stretch panels in the arms let the wind in and you get cold arms.

Used mine in Cyprus and then loaned it to my sister so never noticed this issue :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rst boots I want:

http://www.rst-store.co.uk/rst-tractech-evo-ce-boots.html

These aren't waterproof though. The inky waterproof ones they do come in black.

Could I just buy some waterproof Gareth's sock liners for them?

Couldn't be bothered with sock liners! One more thing to remember/forget.

Just get waterproof boots in the first place.