Mod 1 slow control problems

Hello,

I can't do the slalom especially or figure of 8.

Yesterday I dropped the bike twice on the slalom. I'm trying to keep the revs up as my instructor said and use the clutch and back break.

I managed to do the slalom right once, dropped the bike twice, skipped some cones a few times so as not to drop it... Fig 8 not quite so bad, messed up by few times and foot down few times. U turn, sometimes ok, sometimes not.

I always feel like I'm going to fall off the bike when turning. Scared to turn my head right round coz again, scared of falling off!

Had day of training sat when I was much better but they were flat cones then, yesterday where I was terrible and back today.

Had my mod 1 booked today but not ready for it. As no other dates to September my instructor said see how I feel today whether I want to give it a shot anyway but I think I need way more practice on slow control and some more practice on swerve & emergency stop (I was MUCH better at these though and I'd be ok for mod 2)

Any advice for mod 1 slow stuff.

I woke up today feeling defeated and now so worried of dropping the bike yet again, it's embarrassing... And so frustrating!

And expensive... £160 day of training, £80 for road ride to and from a test..

Thank you

Unfortunately, mod 1 gives you the skills you need to ride a bike and control it through all situations, this includes riding slowly. Don't stress over it a lot of people have issues with the slalom, the figure of 8 and especially the U-turn.. My advice is as follows.

Do as your instructor was saying, Keep the revs open and lock your hand there to keep them at a steady pace, up and down on the revs will jolt the bike and you'll be less stable and tehrefore more scared of dropping. Once your revs are at a steady point (i'd say 5kish.. you'll know where) move the clutch in and out to adjust your speed. If you find you're going to fast whatever you do, do NOT touch that front brake. Use the rear brake to slow gently and keep control of the bike.

Now specific advice for each section.

Slalom - When you start. don't look at the cone you're approaching, look at the next one along, essentially keep your gaze up, You may have heard the term "Target fixation" if you lock onto something that close you'll look at the floor and guess where you're going? Look ahead keep your chin up and keep the revs going!

Figure of 8 - This is a tricky one, key point to remember is as long as you do a figure of '8' you can go pretty darn wide (i believe it's where the cones for the slalom end) so don't try and be turning on a penny you have all the space! use it! and turn your head. You get to the middle and turn right, look right. you come back around and go left, guess what? Turn your head left. The bike will naturally follow you as you look that way.

U-turn - This is the hardest for most people, but if you do it right again, it's pretty darn easy. Again you have all this space. People pull off and immediately try to turn, NUH UH. Pull off, get comfortable and settled, do your life saver and look at where the line ends. and aim for it. Check the diagram (did my best :D) below. the "<" is the bike, first diagram is where you start. second is roughly where you should start turning. If you use all the space, when you find you're a little away from the curb, you have space to tighten and straighten up.

________<__

____<______

Key points

- Use all space avaliable

- Revs high and toggle clutch

- Turn your head

- Do lifesavers and lifesavers for your lifesavers!

Good luck :)

Sounds like nervous are stopping you controlling the bike more than anything.

I found using the same kind of control as the slow ride (walking speed) worked well on the slalom and figure of 8. Holding the bike back on the back brake while riding the clutch.

Only thing I can think to suggest is to not look at the cones but look in beyond them, where you want to go.

But I'm still wet behind the ears so there will be better advice out there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As above just try and keep your head up as much as possible, on the figure of 8 make it nice and wide (wait I have a diagram somewhere...)

Best advice I had for this was do not think you have to keep a tight figure of eight, you've got a lot of space so use it! You may get a minor if you go really really wide but you will fail if you put your foot down by trying to turn too tight! Also after you come out the slalom try and make the crossover point as close to the top cone as you can, this will give you more space to cross back through and also try and keep the ride between the cones as straight as possible.

Keep your head up and after you have made the turn pick a spot in the distance (on the test you can use some of the cones that are about to keep you nice and straight)

I have drawn you an amazing diagram to explain this! I am aware it has a slight boob-ness about it....

Yellow are the slalom cones, blue are the figure 8 cones and the green Xs are to show where I was advised to look before you make the turn (making the turn keep head up and pick your target point exactly like in the U turn)

http://i.imgur.com/gpLWb6B.jpg

This really worked for me and the people I was training with so may be helpful :D Once you start looking up rather than at the gorund you should find the bike turns better and you can nail the other parts.

Mod 1 is about combating your nerves as much as it is about control! Good luck!

Thanks so much guys!

This morning I started off with half hour on a 125 to get used to biting point etc slow control laps and then he got me started with just 3 cones for slalom, got me better at clutch, keeping revs steady etc then onto fig 8. Then back onto the 650.

I still need more practice but I'm feeling better than I did yesterday. Didn't drop the bike :-) He cut practice short today, but booked me an hour on the test pad sat morning instead. Plus he's letting me follow him and his mod 2 student Friday so more time on the bike in general too.

As I didn't go for my test today I have to wait for a cancellation. Depending how I do sat I'm thinking of hiring a 125 and finding a car park... What do you think?

Practise is always good as long as you don't get to the point of frustration!

My other TOP HOGGS TIP! is remember it's not a race, take your time between the elements, lots of deep breaths because as soon as you get nervous and tense up it will make it harder. The bike will start to feel like it's going to fall if you are going too slow or turning too tight so keep the turns as wide as the course allows and don't let the revs drop too low :thumb:

tbh renting a 125 won't do much for you now. Just visualise what you need to do and practice when your next on the 650. If you fail, just re-sit later on, but take something from it. A lot of people fail first time, nerves and inexperience. Just remember to life saver every time, If you have to change direction, lifesaver.

Good luck i'm sure you'll do fine

Had a Google and seems to be no where that rents out motorbikes within 50 odd miles of me anyway!

That's the thing though, I know I'll be extremely nervous for the rest, so I want to be confident before I go for the test.

My instructor has drilled lifesavers into me, every single time I pull away on the bike, mirrors and shoulder checks. And then on the u turn before turning as well.

In my practice today was with flat cones, it was with proper cones I struggled more yesterday and came off. Bloody perception!

Hello,

Any advice for mod 1 slow stuff.

I woke up today feeling defeated and now so worried of dropping the bike yet again, it's embarrassing... And so frustrating!

And expensive... £160 day of training, £80 for road ride to and from a test..

Oh wow reading that brought back all that Mod 1 stress like I was reliving again. :(

Don't be discouraged though, the slow control parts are hardest bits of the whole test - the rest is really easy by comparison. Some really good tips here from Hoggs* and Glorian. And you will do it! If I can anyone can. :D

* and some new vocabulary

You won't get rid of nerves by practicing more trust me :) Just sit down at home, visualise going through each maneuver. What your hands are doing, where you shift your weight, how many revs you have. Go over it again and again and you will satisfy your nerves.

Theres no limit to the times you can take the test, so don't worry even if you do fail.

I know I won't get rid of intense nerves for the test no matter what. I want to feel confident doing the manoeuvres with just my instructor watching tho. Was starting to get there this morning with flat cones.

I will visually mentally go through them using your description (and the picture that was kindly posted earlier) several times before I'm back practicing on the test pad Sat tho!

And then again each day until a cancellation comes up. My mod 2 is booked week after next so hoping get a cancellation before and don't need to cancel mod 2, fingers crossed

Its hard to explain as everyone has their own feeling and technique while riding but I was trying to coast when doing the right turn back into the fig 8 and the bike tends to fall as you lean when doing it too tight. go a little wider and when you turn let the clutch out some more and the bike will pull you round. I found I didn't need to use the back brake at all just used the throttle and clutch to start me off and feather the clutch in and out as needed.

I know it's called "slow riding" but try and not ride too slow, that's where you will lose your balance. DO NOT look at the cones, look at where you want to go. For the slalom try and stay as close to the cones as possible, for figure of 8, as wide as possible. Do not worry about how many 8's you've done, examiner will tell you when to come over.

What can I add? I can reiterate what Adriam above says, don't focus on going too slow, sure don't gun it and whizz round, but definitely don't try and go too slow. Once you're happy you can do it at a bit faster then try and slow it down. You'd be surprised how fast you're allowed to it. You should have seen me motoring for the slalom, even leaning a little.

Next tip, go plenty wide on the fig 8, I believe you're even allowed to go as wide as between the last two yellow comes of the slalom!!! That gives you some idea of the width you can have.

I think the rest has been converted above, look where you need to go, use the back brake only, careful with the revs as you turns the bars on the fig 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back from my mod1, gutted to say I failed on my u turn, I had been on the test track several times over the weekend and smashed it every time ( words of instructor ) yet today soon has the gate was shut I went into meltdown. Almost drop bike on roll back. My legs were like jelly!!! Settled myself down, completed cones and slow ride then put my foot down doing u turn which I've never done before. Never felt this down ever !

Don't feel bad, it's hardly like it means you can't do it, or that you'll ever need it in real life. I can count on no hands how many times I've had to do a uturn.

Just think of it as a practice run, and give it another go with a nice positive attitude.

Good luck!

Sent from my phone.

I stopped using back brake AND clutch to control all my slow manoeuvre stuff.. Was too much to think about back then.

I just rested my foot on the rear brake and control all my speed/momentum/movements using the clutch. Gave me 1 less thing to thing about.

Worked for me.

I stopped using back brake AND clutch to control all my slow manoeuvre stuff.. Was too much to think about back then.

I just rested my foot on the rear brake and control all my speed/momentum/movements using the clutch. Gave me 1 less thing to thing about.

Worked for me.

Yep, hold the rear brake on, set your revs higher than tickover, and control the bike with the clutch. Let it out to move, pull it in to slowdown. Simples ;)

I have 3 hours training this afternoon, split between the slow stuff and the emergency stop and swerve...

I had a few hours last week and didn't drop the bike but knocked a cone over on slalom once, kicked it but it didn't fall once and completed it and the fig 8 properly a few times. So improving!

A horrible instructor was there alongside my instructor. The first thing he said was 'when's your test?' I said not sure being rescheduled. He said 'good coz you've got a LOT of work to do', just what I needed to hear. Made me feel shit & more nervous. Then when I said I was good on the road but terrible at slow stuff he said 'yes I heard about your escapades' (ie dropping bike)... Horrible man, how not to inspire confidence! Luckily my own instructor was calming me down

But silly as it is, I'm nervous now about training in a few hours... Proper anxiety symptoms,wtf will I be like for the actual test!!

Chill, its practice

the more pressure you put on yourself the more you will be anxious about making errors.

Not sure what this mods1/2 thing is but when i was doing my test, it was not what you did wrong but how you dealt with it

Go for a ride, enjoy the weather and enjoy yourself

Let us know later how hot you got :thumb: