Roundabouts help!!!!!

I am rubbish at roundabouts - of which there are plenty near me. One in particular is just a sticking point for me, ive had a near miss twice in the car on it, once in the snow where I ended up skidding my way round it , landing on the centre circle :roll: luckily it was at 3am, and again about a week and a bit ago in the car after a fuel spill sent me skidding. It's just hilly and off camber and on the bike it's horrible- especially as at my exit the two lanes merge. Because I'm nervous every of it I go a bit slower ( I'm in my 3rd week in the road with L plates ) so then aggressive car drivers race round and cut the merging lane off . I find myself riding up to it with gritted teeth and apprehension . Any hints/tips you guys can give??

......weirdly I agree with six

The thing is a lot of people are dicks. They see the L plates and will bully you out the way because they don't want to be stuck behind a learner.

Your nerves are going to be visible to these dicks and they're going to bully you more.

You need to have confidence (not arrogance) on the road but there's not a short cut to getting it

Practise with some "easier" roundabouts. Work on looking at the road surface for hazards and also start working on traffic gaps and lifesavers coming off the island. You will get there, three weeks is nothing! Take it nice and easy and stay safe. Being nervous about stuff automatically makes things harder and when you tense up the bike is harder to control

If I was closer I'd come ride behind you to kick cars that get too close :mrgreen:

go practice on it when the traffic is quite like a Sunday morning.... Or avoid it for a few weeks until you just feel more confident on the bike .

Wish I could avoid it but it's on my route in and out to work , will look at maybe trying at different times , maybe it's just practise

......weirdly I agree with six

The thing is a lot of people are dicks. They see the L plates and will bully you out the way because they don't want to be stuck behind a learner.

Your nerves are going to be visible to these dicks and they're going to bully you more.

You need to have confidence (not arrogance) on the road but there's not a short cut to getting it

Practise with some "easier" roundabouts. Work on looking at the road surface for hazards and also start working on traffic gaps and lifesavers coming off the island. You will get there, three weeks is nothing! Take it nice and easy and stay safe. Being nervous about stuff automatically makes things harder and when you tense up the bike is harder to control

If I was closer I'd come ride behind you to kick cars that get too close :mrgreen:

Thanks Hoggs !!

There are some class A dicks out there but some good folk too- maybe I just need more confidence on them - there is another 2 as I go on into work, funny but it is the biggest one and the smallest one that get me. The reasonably large laned one that leads into bypass etc is fine!!

Not going to get wound up and let others actions dictate how I ride but it's good to hear others hints and tips .

( maybe I need to get bigger boots also :D )

Top stuff. Try and hold your line (centre of the lane) because if you move to the left people will see this as an invitation to overtake.

On the lane merge off take a big lifesaver to check what's about and on a 125 you've going to have to give way more often than not to stay safe. The movement of you checking should also trigger the "oh it's a person" part of peoples brain and they may then give you a bit more room (always assume they won't!)

In a few months you're going to look back on this and laugh! When I first started riding I hated filtering. Then I could filter most of the way but refused to filter through a tunnel as it just terrified me. Now I don't really even think twice about it

Top stuff. Try and hold your line (centre of the lane) because if you move to the left people will see this as an invitation to overtake.

On the lane merge off take a big lifesaver to check what's about and on a 125 you've going to have to give way more often than not to stay safe. The movement of you checking should also trigger the "oh it's a person" part of peoples brain and they may then give you a bit more room (always assume they won't!)

In a few months you're going to look back on this and laugh! When I first started riding I hated filtering. Then I could filter most of the way but refused to filter through a tunnel as it just terrified me. Now I don't really even think twice about it

The lane positioning is probably valid when I think about where I sit in that lane sometimes , might need to be more aware of sitting too far too the left.

Two weeks ago I couldn't change gear- now after moving the gear shifter to a better position I'm good and the frustration on that part has gone- I guess as time goes on I'll re-read this and have a chuckle :mrgreen:

Drivers who aren't riders are knob ends. And we all know ow the types. Like every one has said, confidence is key. Roundabouts can be tricky but don't be bullied and put off!

You will get it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The lane positioning is probably valid when I think about where I sit in that lane sometimes , might need to be more aware of sitting too far too the left.

Two weeks ago I couldn't change gear- now after moving the gear shifter to a better position I'm good and the frustration on that part has gone- I guess as time goes on I'll re-read this and have a chuckle :mrgreen:

You are correct re the lane position. If you are too far to the left some will take that as an invitation to push past. It's not easy but you need to assert your right to be on the road in that position.

You are correct re the lane position. If you are too far to the left some will take that as an invitation to push past. It's not easy but you need to assert your right to be on the road in that position.

Thanks folks

Took a different approach and sat in different lane( still valid lane just more on inside ) , middle of lane positioning with big lifesavers and done better. Getting there!!!

:thumb: keep going for those little increases and remember always lifesave this is also great for when you do your DAS as checking on Lane mergers is one of the key things they look for so if you're doing that on autopilot you're a step ahead of the game!

Best advise I got when I had my 125cc was pretend you have a car around you all the time and you are in the driving seat.

Hold the position you would as a driver and don't let anybody make you change position. (Unless they are dangerous) then get out the way and wave the finger!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the comments about lane positioning. If you get it wrong just leave the round a bout, turn and try again. Never dart into another lane unless you are 100% sure nothing else is on the round a bout.

I agree with all the above. Just remember to keep your eyes looking at your exit so that you go round the roundabout smoothly. If you look at your front wheel you will wobble round. Think of a roundabout like you doing a u turn. where ever you lead your eyes........ the bike will follow.

Keep practising

I agree with all the above. Just remember to keep your eyes looking at your exit so that you go round the roundabout smoothly. If you look at your front wheel you will wobble round. Think of a roundabout like you doing a u turn. where ever you lead your eyes........ the bike will follow.

Keep practising

Thanks for the help :D much appreciated :D

Keep practising

Thanks for the help :D much appreciated :D

:thumb: very welcome