Winter is coming...

Via

Pinlock for your visor the ONLY way to ensure it does not steam up. I have tried everything and ONLY pinlock works. For around £20 pinlock will keep you safe.

I've been trying Muc-Off anti fog seeing as my helmet doesn't accommodate a pinlock, and it works astoundingly well - worth a shot for anyone else in a similar position. Obviously a pinlock is still a smarter move if you have the choice, lower maintenance and cheaper in the long run.

There should be some sort of universal pinlock that will fit. Muck off was the best of the visor wipe stuff.

I'm going to be back to commuting by bike soon, just in time for the winter... :cry:

Living next to the train station was lovely while it lasted. At least I have the CG these days so that the KLX doesn't have to get too many unnecessary miles piled onto it.

Unless you have the misfortune of being anywhere near Southern trains. I commute into central London everyday rather than have to rely on their service.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this post lol

Have got a pinlock visor definitely worth its weight in gold, never get slightest bit of steam up. Find it a nightmare trying to clear visor when it rains though, gloves have a fabric type strip on index finger for wiping visor but just seems to smear it.

Well it is definitely starting to turn, so far discovered my summer jacket even with the thermal lining is far too cold at 4am in 5'c, today I put a hoody on underneath and helped a bit but a new jacket is definitely next order.

leaves are slowly appearing where I feared however only the odd few atm so nothing too worrying (yet) but will have to keep an eye on.

Had one really horrible day, light drizzle and really strong winds and bike was an absolute beast to keep under control. Am much better in wind now than when first starting and don't hold bike in a death grip but this day I got caught twice and lost front wheel a bit which was terrifying.

I will be garaging bike at some time as I don't fancy pushing it when risk of black ice / too many wet leaves. But despite having new car I'm itching to drive (despite issues in general chat it still drives perfect) I am still dragging the bike out each morning.

Well it is definitely starting to turn, so far discovered my summer jacket even with the thermal lining is far too cold at 4am in 5'c, today I put a hoody on underneath and helped a bit but a new jacket is definitely next order.

I find a decent windstopper works wonders for keeping the chill out

I have got a roll up waterproof that I keep in bag for emergencies I may try that see if it helps out as the issue is jacket I have is mostly mesh so wind does just sail straight through it. Great for summer riding though!

Forgot about this post lol

Have got a pinlock visor definitely worth its weight in gold, never get slightest bit of steam up. Find it a nightmare trying to clear visor when it rains though, gloves have a fabric type strip on index finger for wiping visor but just seems to smear it.

leaves are slowly appearing where I feared however only the odd few atm so nothing too worrying (yet) but will have to keep an eye on.

Had one really horrible day, light drizzle and really strong winds and bike was an absolute beast to keep under control. Am much better in wind now than when first starting and don't hold bike in a death grip but this day I got caught twice and lost front wheel a bit which was terrifying.

I will be garaging bike at some time as I don't fancy pushing it when risk of black ice / too many wet leaves. But despite having new car I'm itching to drive (despite issues in general chat it still drives perfect) I am still dragging the bike out each morning.

Try a "Vee Wipe"

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161004/2a7e185941c53697723c211f77d49900.jpg

Pretty good tool to have in the pocket (or on the glove!) if the heavens suddenly open.

I to use ride all year round when l was younger "had no choice" Now the bike go's into hibernation unless the weather say's otherwise. Apart from the dark days, freezing cold and getting soaked spare a thought for your pride and joy, having been ridden through the rain, salt and grime you really need to up the cleaning, maintenance and corrosion protection or come the spring your bike will have of lost it's shine along with hundreds of £'s in depreciation.

If l now had to ride through the winter l would be looking for an old hack that wouldn't break my heart if we slid off or it get's covered in salt and grime. I would never buy a new bike and subject it to winter riding.

As the saying go's, nothing wrong with the weather, it's just that you are wrongly dressed, make sure you've really got this covered, if your warm and dry you can face up to anything the weather can throw at you.

Make sure you can see and be seen, this is where hi vis gear can mean life of death.

Road craft takes on a completely different meaning, it's defence - defence, forget about attacking any road until the sun comes out and the roads are warm and dry.

We all look forward to seeing you next spring, stay safe, here to help

I have a plastic thing like Joe85 mentions, was something like like 99p on eBay. It is a tad snug, but it works and pushes the water away instead of smearing like the glove giving you a brief moment of perfect clarity. Only complaint is to get it on I have to take the glove off, then spend a few minutes pushing and pulling the glove finger through it.

Now that I have a Pinlock helmet I agree it generally works great, but wearing glasses just means I still get steamed up there. And in bright conditions in summer having to look through glasses, sun visor, pinlock, and visor gets a wee bit much as they all refract light a little.

Thankfully I am not a commuter and do not have to go out at 5am, but I have still been wearing my mesh jacket, just with long-sleeved shirt over my t-shirt and I have been fine, including through fog last weekend. Put a waterproof overcoat on when the rain hit though, and was a bit too toasty with all those layers. But back went to winter gloves a few weeks and already tempted to wear my heated liners too at times. But I do have arthritis so my fingers feel the cold. And I guess too much body so it is probably self insulating.

Saw the leaves starting to appear too though. And wet mud, which after breaking my elbow on some almost exactly a year ago I am now very cautious about. Never got to ride last winter as I was recovering from surgery and the accident, so will be interesting to see how long I last this year as I am still having too much fun. Anything close to freezing and a threat of ice will definitely keep me indoors though.

Winter coincides with the knobbly bits on my tyres growing rather short and rounded, so I'm toying with the idea of getting the winter version of Heidenau Scout K60's as a replacement... not 100% sure it's worth it though. If the roads really get that bad, I could just ride to work through the fields :lol:

ACF50.

Or not riding it.

Depends whether you ask Bob or Stu :up:

:lol:

I'll pick some up today. I've set myself a small challenge of not buying a new car until next summer. All my other cars are sold now except my wife's company car.

Just keep it away from the brakes. :shock: I try and cover them with old t shirts before spraying near the wheels. Also, you only need apply it very very thinly.

I find a decent windstopper works wonders for keeping the chill out

:stupid: Me too. This is the one of the best things I've found that makes winter riding comfortable.

Just keep it away from the brakes. :shock: I try and cover them with old t shirts before spraying near the wheels. Also, you only need apply it very very thinly.

:thumb:

Someone (Glorian?) once recommended spraying it liberally onto a rag then wiping it on, I tried that last time around and it worked wonders! No hassle with masking off tyres and brakes, certainly makes the experience less miserable. I still sprayed the engine a little, just to make sure it got in all the nooks and crannies. Obviously there's a bit more waste due to the rag soaking some of it up, but I value my spare time more than I value my ACF50! :lol:

Someone (Glorian?) once recommended spraying it liberally onto a rag then wiping it on, I tried that last time around and it worked wonders! No hassle with masking off tyres and brakes, certainly makes the experience less miserable. I still sprayed the engine a little, just to make sure it got in all the nooks and crannies. Obviously there's a bit more waste due to the rag soaking some of it up, but I value my spare time more than I value my ACF50! :lol:

I do half and half with ACF50. The "top bit" of the engine and under the plastics gets sprayed, the rest gets wiped down with a ACF50 damp cloth.

I've not noticed a problem with putting too much on, other than when it heats up it forms white smoke!

I ride all year round. You just have to adjust riding style for the conditions, think about your gear on the cold rides, can you be seen since its getting dark earlier?

There's no harm in putting your foot down to test the surface while riding along to get an idea of grip ect.

Key is keep it smooth!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well so far using rain coat to keep wind out is working great, much [strikeout]warmer[/strikeout] less cold.

Will look at getting some rain repellant as well, way wind is atm don't like taking hand off as it is.

And this is only the start lol.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd give an update to anyone interested.

When first preparing for winter all I could find was articles about keeping warm, at the time these did not interest me and as said in first few posts was looking at the handling/riding aspect as I dont do massive distance each day I can suck up being cold for a little bit... I was TOTALLY wrong! Now I am used to being cold work involves the odd standing in the wind and rain all night but that does not compete with the first cold/wet ride when totally unprepared! Now I have geltex jacket and always keep a pair of waterproof overtrousers in bag (still ride in kevlar jeans) and after a ride home in torrential rain last week I got home bone dry and warm.

Now on to what did concern me, riding a light bike with ridiculously skinny tyres in horrible conditions. When road conditions started getting worse I did go back to terrified learner mode however can say now that the bike is still not trying to kill me, OK I don't lean as much in corners now and bit more wary but the bike still stays shiny side up in some horrible conditions. That being said just because the bike isn't trying to kill me don't mean everyone else isn't. Driver observastions seem to be getting worse but not unexpected, if they couldn't see me in brilliant sunshine what hope have I got in the dark when its drizzling.

In short I am learning more and more each day to trust my bike. I was terrified when first riding that it would try to kill me and again when road conditions got worse I thought the same, but even with its ridiculously skinny tyres and light enough to be blown over by smallest gust of wind it has got me through some horrible weather rides and always got me home safe.