MOD 2 training done.

It was a full on day. 9am – 4pm. Not sure how many miles we covered but strangely I don’t feel as confident going into this one as I did with my MOD 1 or maybe it just feels that way. Already I’m nervous. There just seem like so much can go wrong, me, peds, cyclists other cars/bikes.

Felt like he was in my ear a lot throughout the day. I can only hope that is because he is training me to a higher level than the examiners expect to see (as he did on my MOD 1)

I will be out practicing every evening after work this week.

Maybe I’m being to had on myself, all will be revealed on Friday.

I think being on the roads is more nerve wracking than the Mod1 as there are other people that can mess it up for you! but you'll be fine. Just remember lifesavers lifesavers lifesavers and know the speed limits and you'll be grand.

Take a few nice big breaths before you set off on the test to flush the adrenaline out your system :thumb:

I have read that MOD 1 is the hard bit but I think i was more confident of the MOD 1 because it was down to me, none else could interfere, with the MOD 2 it seems there are so many other variables to take into account. Life savers im doing but sometimes looking both sides instead of either just left or right, i feel safer taht way but not sure if i will get marked down for that?

so much going through my mind. trying to anticipate the route or roundabouts he might take me on, impossible really.

i might be overthinking all this. Got a whole week of this to look forward too :D

I felt similarly about mod 2. There's so much to think about: the bike, the road, the traffic, the speed limits, the traffic (again), life safers, indicators. But I got through (second attempt). I think it became easier when I realised all you had to do was ride safely.

Life savers im doing but sometimes looking both sides instead of either just left or right, i feel safer taht way but not sure if i will get marked down for that?

Run this past your instructor.. it will either be fine or they will see it as unnecessary and taking yru eyes off the road for too long and I'm not sure which way it will go :lol:

These outside factors shouldn't be a concern really......it's about anticipation and awareness of them......and that's the skill you need to develop on the bike.....you need to be prepared for when one of them does something stupid because that's exactly what they're gonna do...... :wink:

Good luck with the MOD2.....relax and ride your normal ride and you'll be fine..... 8-)

Also got pulled up on being hesitant because when I was pulling out of junctions etc. I was waiting for a gap big enough for both of us to pull away. Apparently that isn't really the done thing :D

Oh yeah don't let the examiner out too, less time he spends being able to see you the less he can fail you on :lol:

Also got pulled up on being hesitant because when I was pulling out of junctions etc. I was waiting for a gap big enough for both of us to pull away. Apparently that isn't really the done thing :D

Oh yeah don't let the examiner out too, less time he spends being able to see you the less he can fail you on :lol:

Ok, not sure if you are joking :oops: I should just go when its clear for me yes? don't worry about the examiners position?

Ok, not sure if you are joking :oops: I should just go when its clear for me yes? don't worry about the examiners position?

Hoggs isn't joking. If the gap is big enough for you, then use it. Basically, you should ride as if the examiner is a disembodied sprite whispering directions in your ear and don't worry about how they fit into the traffic: just ride for you. The examiner is capable of looking after himself.

Well, except mine, it seemed. At point I heard a lot of crackling in my earpiece, just as we went past a junction, and when the crackling stopped, all I could hear was swearing. A few seconds later he swept ahead of me and made me pull up into a lay by at the side of dual carriageway. Then he had me pull out back into the non-stop stream of traffic. We waited a good few minutes for a gap before he told me just to go for it whatever. We then spent a good 15 minutes going up and down the A14 to the next junction and back again, and then it was time to go back to the test centre.

I passed :D

If the gap is big enough for you, then use it. Basically, you should ride as if the examiner is a disembodied sprite whispering directions in your ear and don't worry about how they fit into the traffic: just ride for you. The examiner is capable of looking after himself.

Yup what Bonio said. The instructor wants to see how you ride, waiting for a gap big enough for both of you will be seen as hesitancy. The radio comms stretch quite far so if the instructor properly loses sight of you he will just ask you to stop somewhere safe so he can catch up. (make sure you stop somewhere with good visibility and not 2cm behind a car!)

Examiners have been known to use a car instead of a bike too. Just follow the above advice....it's all good.

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Examiner followed me in a volvo, because it was raining. He was passenger observing and note taking.

Big day tomorrow!! 24 hours from now i will be leaving the test centre. Safe to say i'm nervous already (have been for a while) don't know what state i will be in tomorrow...

So, any last minute tips and hints to help me on my way unrestricted freedom tomorrow??

Whilst it sounds silly, seriously take 10 deep breaths before you start. It will flush out any adrenaline from your system and help you focus.

Remember lifesavers, speed limit awareness and try and relax as we all know it's not easy to steer when you're all tensed up! And as previously mentioned, ride as if you are by yourself - don't wait for gaps for two to get out on, if a traffic light is changing and you can make it through safely just go for it. The examiner knows where you're going so will either catch up or ask you to pull over. Oh and if you do have to wait for him somewhere, stop a good distance from anything in front and keep your eyes peeled for him (although they have crazy hawk eyes so you'll probably be told t go before you see him!) remember CHECK CHECK CHECK before you pull out just as you will when you're doing the scheduled pull overs. :thumb:

Oh and if you miss a direction or realise you're in the wrong lane just GO THE WRONG WAY. This is not a fail. Swerving across lanes to "correct" yourself is. Never ever ever turn right at a roundabout from a left hand lane (well.. until you pass then you can do what you want :lol: )

The new is.........I Passed!!!!!!!!!

So happy right now. I was nervous as hell and was pretty sure I have screwed it when he mentioned my speed (twice). My speedo was reading 30, his was 25. So two minors for not progressing. This was early on so didn't really help with the nerves either!! The rest all a bit of a blur until in his office and he said I passed. I was so relieved, probably still hasn't sunk it. Got home about 4.30 straight on phone to insurance and I've already been out on the FZ6. It's sooooo fast - well compared to my CG it is anyway.

Overall I would have to say the MOD 1 was easier than MOD 2. I know others will disagree.

Thank you all so much for your help on my licence journey.

One question - am I a biker now?? :D