Where to start?

I'm 22 years old, been driving cars now for 4 years and am interested in getting onto a motorbike, legally. ;)

Commuting in a car is a hassle but I am unsure where to start, is there any 'short cuts' due to my age and driving experience?

Not just yet, get your cbt done, get a little 125, and get a couple years experience on a bike then go for your das

Welcome along by the way, pop into newbies section and say hi :thumb:

The other option is more expensive, but lets you ride a bigger bike right away.

You can do your A2, which lets you ride restricted bikes - they're still much quicker than a 125. However that course would cost as much as a DAS, which you would be repeating again in 2 years time when you are 24.

Many moons ago I started on a 125 - and there's much to be said for the experience gained. However I had to commute on some pretty quick roads on it and it wasn't the most joyful of experiences. Riding flat out trying to keep up with traffic on a small bike with skinny tyres and not much by the way of brakes & suspension got a bit tiresome.

If your commute is round town or roads up to 50mph then a 125 is fine. If you need to travel on A roads at the national speed limit or dual carriageways I think I'd spend a bit more and go down the A2 route.

Both have advantages and disadvantages, so I'd say the deciding factor is the distance and type of road you have to ride every day.

• 1 month later...

I agree they both have advantages and disadvantages. I did cbt, DAS training and both tests in a row ( 2 months straight ) and it got me a continuous experience on road daily, which got me to the confident / able rider who went straight for the big bikes. The person I did it with was riding 125cc but did not have the experience, as soon as we both got on the honda hornet for MOD training he launched it off a hill 20ft from the showroom. We both had the same experience went through the same process at the same time exactly same bike, same lessons etc. Since you drive a car you are aware of the road more than normal new riders but a bike is alot different than a car to handle. I would be the cautious rider if you are unsure, do CBT see how you get on then decide after a few weeks - months before going bigger, maybe pass CBT then ask for a lesson on a larger bike, will cost you one lesson rather than jumping ahead too far too fast and having a problem.

No there are no shortcuts :(. But because you're over 18, you have the two options set out above

• 1. Take the CBT and ride a 125; where you're 24, take the theory and practical tests (Mod1 and Mod2) for a full licence

2. Take the CBT, theory test and the practical tests (Mod1 and Mod2) for an A2 licence, and when you're 24 do the practical tests on a full powered bike for a full licence

3. Or just do nothing for now, and when you're 24 take the CBT, the theory and the practical tests for a full licence

It's all set out here: here.

Like has been said, I won't be happy commuting long distances on a 125, or if you're commute uses roads where the traffic goes much over 55, as a 125 won't be able to keep up, and people will try to overtake and cut you up. It's not a great way to start the day. And even where a 125 will do the job, an A2 bike is very likely going to be more fun to ride, and I reckon the experience you clock up will be more useful for the full test when you come to do it.