Bluetooth headsets for flip-up helmets

Hi all, I'm wanting to get a Bluetooth headset to use for (phone-based, at least to start with) satnav directions, phonecalls, and music on longer rides. Have read a few reviews here and there, but wondered what your opinions and experiences are?

I have a HJC IS Max II flip-up helmet, so that's what it needs to fit, but what do I need to look out for terms of spec? I'd rather spend more to get a good one than skimp on one which doesn't do the job, but the budget isn't limitless either! :lol:

Any brands to focus on or to avoid? Any key features to look out for? Compatibility with other devices would seem useful for future reference, although I'm not looking to buy a pair at this point.

Thanks in advance!

I started with a lidl set which worked but did not like conversations at speed (fine by me).

Then my misses started coming pillion and we wanted music and intercom simultaneously, best we could find was packtalk. Not cheap but has voice commands to phone and unit.

It's not brilliant and is about as good as you can get it works for us. On my own I was happy enough with the £20 lidl set.

Someone is spending his birthday money :wink:

Happy belated birthday by the way :lol:

You first need to find out which devices will allow you to receive sat nav directions from the phone and find out whether your phone will send them to the headset too

Some don't for some reason

I have the scala rider Q3 this is a rider and pillion set so the wife can give me earache! I haven't tested it with a phone for sat nav as I have a dedicated sat nav and I run my phone through that for phone calls too

Scala rider do a nice comparison table of their models which may help

http://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/comparison-chart-2015-International.png

Someone is spending his birthday money :wink:

Happy belated birthday by the way :lol:

Haha, yup! Thanks. :D

You first need to find out which devices will allow you to receive sat nav directions from the phone and find out whether your phone will send them to the headset too

Some don't for some reason

I have the scala rider Q3 this is a rider and pillion set so the wife can give me earache! I haven't tested it with a phone for sat nav as I have a dedicated sat nav and I run my phone through that for phone calls too

Scala rider do a nice comparison table of their models which may help

http://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/comparison-chart-2015-International.png

That's helpful, thanks.

If someone made a headset or satnav unit which did DAB radio I'd be very happy, but am yet to see anything of the sort for motorbikes, and would quickly rinse my phone's data if I just used that. No Planet Rock for me while riding!

If someone made a headset or satnav unit which did DAB radio I'd be very happy, but am yet to see anything of the sort for motorbikes, and would quickly rinse my phone's data if I just used that. No Planet Rock for me while riding!

I have this, didn't pay that much for it though. https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/products/radio/dab/sportsdab6

Can plug it to the Scala q1 aux input.

I have this, didn't pay that much for it though. https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/products/radio/dab/sportsdab6

Can plug it to the Scala q1 aux input.

Will get something like that if it turns out I miss the radio too much, but one that does bluetooth too.

most of the time now i tend to listen to the built in FM bands, but can be a PITA having to rescan as you move out of the covered areas

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet - have some J&S vouchers which I was going to try and spend tomorrow, but from their website they don't have the best range so imagine I might come home with something else!

Will let you know what I get.

The Interphone F5MC appears to have many of the same features, but is currently under £130 on Amazon, compared to £180+ for the Sena 20s or Scala Packtalk / Smartpack, so I'm probably erring more towards that one to be honest.

I really wanted one of those as well :thumb: But I realised that I have no pillion, no mates and my lid is so snug I am trouble getting my fat head init not even mentioning earphones that keep falling out when I am getting that thing on :| :D

As Stu said the speakers sit behind the padding so should be ok.

I have a SENA 10R fitted to my Shoei NXR. It's fantastic and for my use/needs it is much better than the Scala Q2 I had before. It does however pair with the missus Scala so we can chat when out and about using universal intercom.

Impressed with SENA products now but Scala aren't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the speakers sit in the helmet not in your hear so they don't fall out :D

That will not change the fact that I still will have no-one to talk to :crybaby: :D

I won't either, which is why I don't think I need the 15 rider capabilities of the Packtalk! :lol:

However someone just offered me a Cardo G4 for £50, which is probably a sensible option for just starting out, and leaves more money for other shiny new things. :D

That will not change the fact that I still will have no-one to talk to :crybaby: :D

I won't either, which is why I don't think I need the 15 rider capabilities of the Packtalk! :lol:

However someone just offered me a Cardo G4 for £50, which is probably a sensible option for just starting out, and leaves more money for other shiny new things. :D

Thats not a bad price

it will probably do more than you need

..only time I would consider of getting a headset would be if they start selling it with a rider attached to it :D I would definitely get one :thumb:

For me Packtalk was more about the Dual audio streaming side of it... Plus it was cheaper at the time than Smart Pack, the need to talk to 15 people no but from talking to no one I have been up to 4 a couple of times.

Does it enhance your ride yes, with the right people.