Taking Front Wheel Off WAT DO

RantMachine

Right so I have my front wheel booked in at a local garage to have the spokes done, which means I need to take the thing off tonight. Not got a centre stand, but I have got a paddock stand and a small jack. But, a certain housemate's bikes were too heavy for my paddock stand and now it sags - not convinced I trust it to support the bike for the whole time I'm out getting the wheel done!

So here's the question: instead of taking the whole thing off the floor, what if I use the jack under the sump to shift the weight off the front wheel and onto the rear while and sidestand just enough to get the wheel out then lower it down gently so the forts are on the floor. Not gonna do them any harm, is it? Bike only weighs about 130kg. Guess I could rest them on my toolbox so the bike doesn't tip too much.

Inb4 bodge job, OF COURSE IT IS THAT'S WHAT I DO.

Stuff it, I'm just gonna stick a jack under the front of the frame and balance it on the stand and rear wheel. Fingers crossed the jack doesn't slip while I'm in town :lol:

I've taken the front wheel off the CG in the same way and everything went fine, and this thing only weighs 15kg more :P

Stuff it, I'm just gonna stick a jack under the front of the frame and balance it on the stand and rear wheel. Fingers crossed the jack doesn't slip while I'm in town :lol:

I've taken the front wheel off the CG in the same way and everything went fine, and this thing only weighs 15kg more :P

You got roof struts in the garage you can loop some rope around?

Nah, sadly not. Plain concrete all the way around.

You don't have a main stand, or a center stand, or how is it called in English ?

If you do, you could do it my way.

Park the bike on the stand, and support the heavy part (engine) with a stool or something.

Then take the wheel out, it should keep, my Dakar is a lot heavier than your 135 kg bike.

I was lucky, the stool was exactly the right hight, but a pile of wood could do the job as well...

Good luck.

22554205_Frontwheelout.jpg.a1ff47d92a660739832e956e0c225211.jpg

Frontw-out.jpg.cf0fc71b43c131c88f0e92f133e29b9f.jpg

Should work fine. I use an ABBA stand with a jack under the front of the engine (actually lifts on exhaust which I dont like). If I'm leaving it that way for Amy length of time I put a stool under the bottom of the fork leg or chair under the stem if the forks are coming out. That's a 200kg bike.

Even if it falls over its a dirt bike. It's designed for falling over.

Yeah I just don't want it falling onto the forks without a wheel attached, it was designed to take a lot of shit but maybe not quite that :lol:

@Old-Timer No center stand sadly, otherwise this would be pretty painless. When I had to take the from wheel off my old F650 I did exactly the same thing as you, only using a jack instead of a stool!

Hang it from the ceiling like I did when changing the forks on my GSXR.

Nah, sadly not. Plain concrete all the way around.

Someone hasn't read the thread :roll:

Support it on the jack under the engine as suggested earlier. Then with the wheel out chock under the fork legs or if you can, lower it on to a sheet of wood on the floor?

My ethos is - if something is already as low as it can go it can't fall any further

Sent by Tigger from my Tablet

Support it on the jack under the engine as suggested earlier. Then with the wheel out chock under the fork legs or if you can, lower it on to a sheet of wood on the floor?

My ethos is - if something is already as low as it can go it can't fall any further

Sent by Tigger from my Tablet

Also good advice after you've had a few too many beers!

Sounds like balancing between a jack and the side stand would do the job as well. Especially with a light bike.

All done. Had to take the bash plate off in order for the jack to get a decent grip on the frame, kept sliding out. Turns out I've smashed a corner off my bash plate at some point :lol:

So now the jack is lifting from the front right of the frame, and the weight is spread over the back wheel and sidestand. Once the wheel was out I put my metal toolbox under the fork to make it that bit more stable.

Cheers all!

I was faced with the same problem when I had my wheels powder coated. My solution was to use a pair of ladders similar to those in Joemans picture and sling a ratchet strap around the head stock to lift it off the floor. It worked a treat. :wink:

With the bike on the rear stand and the front wheel still on the ground crack loose all the securing nut's and bolts to the front wheel, if there's a belly pan on the bike remove that and then place a block of wood under the engine or exhaust pipes and jack the front of the bike up from there. You should then without any unnecessary force be able to remove the front wheel. Reverse the procedure to reinstall.