Chain tightening when back wheel is tightened

Doom64

Hello, I took the rear wheel off my cb250rs to change the sprocket and chain, and clean the rear hub.

I put it all back together, adjusted the chain and tightened the rear wheel nut up but as you tighten it up the chain tightens as well, does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be?

If it's anything like mine, it's because when you tighten the axle nut up, the whole axle likes to move around.

I end up using my legs to cuddle/hold the rear wheel back and tighten the axle nut at the same time.

It looks ridiculous, but it's the only way I can get it to work on my own.

I was told by local mechanic than when tightening the securing bolt to hold the chain tight IE Pull chain up to towards the swing arm whilst tightening the backnut to stop the motion cause by the nut tightening putting wheel out of align.

Then when nut is tight let go the chain and it should have right amount of slack...

It’s cos when you slacken the axle nut the sides of the swing arm spring apart slightly (have a close look next time and you’ll see what I mean) and that allows the wheel to move forward slightly, slackening the chain.

Of course, when you tighten the axle nut up again it has the reverse effect, pulls the wheel backwards and makes the chain even tighter.

Ultimately, you just have to allow for it when you adjust the chain but you can minimise the effect by slackening off the axle nut just enough to allow the adjusters to move.