Removing pistons from caliper

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Guest -Elliot-

Brake cleaner shouldn’t really be used near the seals as it dries them out and damages them. Not so much of an issue on more modern seals but still not ideal. I use a sacrificial piece of wood as a fake brake disc and use a foot pump to pressurise the pistons out. Keep your fingers clear though!! :)

Brake cleaner shouldn’t really be used near the seals as it dries them out and damages them. Not so much of an issue on more modern seals but still not ideal. I use a sacrificial piece of wood as a fake brake disc and use a foot pump to pressurise the pistons out. Keep your fingers clear though!! :)

Given that the seals are there to keep the brake fluid in it follows that at least part of the seal is in contact with the brake fluid so the seals can't possibly be damaged by the brake fluid. I've always used clean brake fluid to lubricate the seals and pistons when working on brakes. All the garages I know do the same.

Given that the seals are there to keep the brake fluid in it follows that at least part of the seal is in contact with the brake fluid so the seals can't possibly be damaged by the brake fluid. I've always used clean brake fluid to lubricate the seals and pistons when working on brakes. All the garages I know do the same.

He said brake cleaner not fluid!

Prolonged contact can damage seals but given the cleaner is a solvent it evaporates well before any damage is done

If you soaked seals in brake cleaner for a length of time then some damage can be done but it's not just a few mins I'm talking a few hours

Where is [mention]Mr Fro[/mention] with his tests ;-)

...trying to clean but have some stubborn gunk that doesn't want to come off.

try soaking them in clean brake fluid for 24 hours to see if that softens the stubborn gunk. As has been said before you need to be very careful not to scratch the pistons so time and care is to your benefit.

I have the right hand caliper off now so will give both sets of piston a going over with brake fliud. The brake hoses are kind of hitched up on the bike suspended by string, the reservoir is still full of fluid. probably no doubt I have introduced air into the system so then will need to be sorted but the way things are going that's a way off ! :D

Where is @Mr Fro with his tests ;-)

Stuck in the house with the baby. :|

Same. Spent the morning pushing him about in his buggy, the afternoon driving him about so he could sleep in the car, and now I'm stuck on the sofa with a sleeping baby on my chest.. I have achieved nothing useful today.