Removing pistons from caliper

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

My brakes seem to be binding quite badly, clearly a build up of all the salt and crap on the roads at the moment. I try to keep the binding at bay with regular squirts of brake cleaner but want to do a thorough job and extract the pistons and clean, maybe even replace the seals.

What is a straightforward way of removing the pistons? I see there are tools for £20 but are there other, cheaper ways? Can they just be pumped out and slotted back in afterward with some grease? If so at what stage do I drain the fluid from the system.

Thanks all

Pump them all out together. If one moves more than the others, put a clamp on it. If one gets left behind, clamp the others until it moves. They usually come out with a grease gun or airline.

if the brakes are still connected then place something between the pistons to stop them coming all the way out something like a spanner usually works

Sit it in the grove where the brake discs would normally go

Then pump out the pistons it won't make a difference if one comes out first as when it hits the spanner it will stop .......be sure to remove the pads first!

Once they are all out then loosen all the caliper bolts then remove the caliper and split it then remove the pistons

Remove the seals and clean everything up taking special care to clean between the groves where the seals sit

Rebuild and spend hours swearing while you attempt to bleed all air out :D

As [mention]megawatt[/mention] says

And When you do come to re-installing the pistons DONT force them ..they Will glide in if they are seated right

I got a pair of these they work well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Motorbike-Brake-Piston-Removal-Pliers-Tool-Upto-39mm-Soft-Grip-/181782692997?hash=item2a5317c485

Your going to have to split the calipers unless they are single sided floating ones . First , with the calipers still on the bike , "crack " all the bolts but don't undo them . Then remove the calipers, remove the pads , then put back onto the bike and pump away until ALL the pistons are in contact with the disk ( watch the fluid level ) Next put a spanner on the bleed nipple then a piece of pvc tube ( B&Q ) and pump out as much brake fluid as you can . Get a bowl to catch the rest and properly loosen all the bolts including the banjo bolt . Remove from the bike and split the caliper . To pull all the pistons out spray with brake cleaner and wipe them dry then using a Mole Grip and a piece of rubber inner tube to avoid scratching wiggle them out with a revolving motion . This last bit is easier if they are of the open ended type but some pistons have removable plugs . Now you can pull all the seals and clean out all the mineralization and crap lurking in the grooves . Reassemble using new seals and don't forget the little O ring , fill and bleed . The whole job takes ages , well it did for me but I've got twin 6 pots BUT the results are astounding. There are other ways to do this job but the trick is in getting ALL the pistons as far out as possible at the same time. Note : Some people recommend Red Rubber Grease for reassembly but I prefer to use just brake fluid. Hope this helps.

I have some circlip pliers that open outwards, I could use them on the inside of pistons to ease them out. I understand you but not use anything on the outer piston.

Having problems sourcing front brake caliper seals. Found rear brake no problem on EBAy, cant find any fronts for a 2004 FZ6 though.

I have some circlip pliers that open outwards, I could use them on the inside of pistons to ease them out. I understand you but not use anything on the outer piston.

Having problems sourcing front brake caliper seals. Found rear brake no problem on EBAy, cant find any fronts for a 2004 FZ6 though.

Fair enough, I understand your concern but I don't think you will get enough grip with circlip pliers . I got the idea off youtube and it worked a treat . If the pistons are far enough out already then not much force is needed . Anyway good luck and let us know how it went. Here you go , is this any good ? http://i.imgur.com/rpEQkjM.png don't be fooled by the picture, you get 5 in a pack.

Hi, I use these on open ended pistons, it really saves a lot of time, insert and use as a slide hammer? I first clamp the line remove caliper and withdraw pistons, clean grooves, then either new seals or old, then rebuild and bleed. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-5-PC-Inner-Bearing-Puller-Set-Kit-Remover-Blind-Internal-Slide-Hammer/391806230854?epid=21011007777&hash=item5b3978a146:g:SvQAAOSwofxUgdEy