Helicoil advice

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

Ok quick update.

I satin the shed for a few hours this afternoon, had a beer and cleaned everything thoroughly. Installed new seals and put pistons back into place.

I now have the calipers back on the bike now, just need torqueing up. I gave the problem helicoil one final try and managed to get the insert flush one side then tidied up the back end so that was flush too. Probably would have been easier if I had used the correct length insert but I think it will do for now.

Here is my next issue though, I filled the brake fluid reservoir and started to pump the lever but it just pumps endlessly, there is no pressure to push the pistons out. Does that mean it needs bleeding> which side do I bleed first? oh and how exactly do you bleed the system? :D

Thanks for all the help so far.....

Best ignore my pm then :thumb:

Yes the system will need bleeding up have a Google on how to do it

They say start with the furthest away but I always keep going back and forth between them till the brakes are good

Excellent so there is hope I could get it working again tomorrow. I will do some YouTube research tonight. Then next weekend maybe tackle the back brake which ironically is the one I can hear binding the most.

It was a pretty messy job removing the calipers. Brake fluid on the driveway. Wife not happy. What works best to clean it.

Excellent so there is hope I could get it working again tomorrow. I will do some YouTube research tonight. Then next weekend maybe tackle the back brake which ironically is the one I can hear binding the most.

It was a pretty messy job removing the calipers. Brake fluid on the driveway. Wife not happy. What works best to clean it.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/laser-absorbent-oil-drip-mat

At a £1 they are worth it to save stainage

Starting bleeding the brakes. There is pressure now but I can still pull the lever all the way back to the handlebar grip. So its still not how it was before. Im using an easy bleed tube which has some kind of valve on it. Only thing is im getting through a lot of fluid, as in have to keep topping it up. Ive used almost 500ml already, is this normal?? Ive just been to buy a 1 litre bottle in case in need it.

When I started there were some huge air bubble in the tube, they have gone now.

Do I just keep going doing both sides until the lever firms up some more?

Have you bled master cylinder ?

Place end of tube in fluid as the valves are not 100% airtight on the cheaper bleeders

Pump andopen bleed nipple then close and repeat is best option

Bleed until no air bubbles .

Lever will not firm with bleed nipple open

No 500ml is not normal check your method

Top up reservoir

Place lid or cover reservoir

Place tube on nipple

Pump lever a five times

Hold lever in

Undo bleed nippke whilst keeping pressure on lever at all times .lever will go towards bar as fluid releases .

KEEP HOLDING LEVER IN

Tighten bleed nipple

Release lever only after nipple is tight

Pause

Check fluid level and top up if necessary

And repeat above until no air bubbles are visible in tube

Should only take a few rounds of above

On both calipers

Haven't bled master cylinder but can see an air coming up when I press the lever. Sometimes fluid will shoot up too.

That's normal hence why lid or cover ;

Bleeding master cylinder very much like calipers

Have some rags ready

Top up fluid

Cover

Locate pipe exiting reservoir to brakes it may have a bleed nipple on it or you will need to have spanner to undo banjo bolt .Do not undo yet .place a few rags under the bolt / or place tube on nipple so fluid doesnt contact paintwork etc

Pump lever a few times

Hold lever in

Undo nipple/ banjo bolt ( beware on banjo bolt fluid can go multi directional so may be worth placing a rag over the area to protect you and area .

Hold lever in and tighten bolt/nipple

Repeat a few times

Then bleed calipers .

DO NOT ALLOW RESERVOIR TO GO BELOW MINIMUM

Also try rotating the calipers so any air trapped in them will migrate up to the bleed nipple. A few gentle taps helps.

Method above seems to have worked. Many many thanks. The YouTube video I saw last night said to open valve and keep pumping, hence why I was wasting so much fluid.

So all seems fine now. Maybe a little test run before taking it tomorrow though.

Think I will leave the back brake for another weekend. Too stressful :D

:

Also try rotating the calipers so any air trapped in them will migrate up to the bleed nipple. A few gentle taps helps.

Calipers were fixed back on bike so couldn't try this. Assuming I have understood correctly.

Yep, calipers off twist and rotate a bit. Had to do that to the GPX after new seals fitted to get all the air out.

Finally got the bike back on the road this weekend. Thought it was ok last week but after couple of rides I noticed that the right disc was scorching hot, too hot to touch. I noticed the caliper when bolted on wasn't aligned properly so the pads were constantly rubbing on the disc. Ordered another caliper during the week, cleaned it up like new and fitted It yesterday, also had no problems bleeding the lines this week.

I also ordered some shorter helicoils and have done a proper job on the stripped thread so I have a spare working caliper now.

I now feel confident enough to take on the back caliper seals but waiting for some dryer weather for that.

Car is staying at home this week and i'm back on the bike, so all is well :D

Ok quick update.

I satin the shed for a few hours this afternoon, had a beer and cleaned everything thoroughly. Installed new seals and put pistons back into place.

I now have the calipers back on the bike now, just need torqueing up. I gave the problem helicoil one final try and managed to get the insert flush one side then tidied up the back end so that was flush too. Probably would have been easier if I had used the correct length insert but I think it will do for now.

Here is my next issue though, I filled the brake fluid reservoir and started to pump the lever but it just pumps endlessly, there is no pressure to push the pistons out. Does that mean it needs bleeding> which side do I bleed first? oh and how exactly do you bleed the system? :D

Thanks for all the help so far.....

It needs filling before you start bleeding . Cheapest and quickest way is stick a meter of pvc tube on the furthest away bleed nipple, open and suck. When you see fluid , stop because it doesn't taste very nice .