Mod 1 failed twice hazard avoidance

DON'T LOOK AT IT!!!!

In general, yes the 125 was a great help for me. I rode 2500 miles on it but the most useful part was riding arroud split tennis balls at the local industrial estate. My CBR125R had a grabby clutch so I really had to concentrate in the slow maneuvers. Anyway, from my musical hobbies I learned one important thing:- don't wait until the rehearsal to learn the song.

Work up a sweat one the 125. Practice the hardest parts over and over, take a break do it again. Then you develop confidence because you know it inside out. After that the only difference is weight.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

just had happened to me .Failed 2nd time mod 1 today . Same mistakes . Last exercise , Hazard avoidance last bloody blue cone hit. Never hit on practical sessions .Really annoying . I was afraid more about mod 2. I am sure will fail that one as well .This license gonna be very expensive for me . Can't give it up now !Next week retaking mod1 .

I kicked the cone on my mod 1. I was gutted - never come near it during practice. But the second time was a lot less stressful as I knew what to expect.

Next week retaking mod1 .

That's the spirit :thumb:

• 3 years later...

I have failed the required speed for avoidance twice now.

It is absolutely ridiculous to fail someone who is obviously competent on a motorbike. 

It took me an hour to drive to the test on a huge 650 in rush hour ,pretty much showing  everything you would need to ride a bike on the road. Even an avoidance at around 50 mph.

This MOD 1 is completely pointless and a way of gaining income for the government. 

How and why would you be encouraged to increase your speed when a hazard is approaching.  YOU WOULD NOT INCREASE YOUR SPEED. SIMPLE.

It's a bloody farce.

It's cost me time and money,  childcare and alot of stress.

It's completely counter intuitive to do what they require. 

Figure of 8 ? Slarlam (don't even know how to spell it, it's so irrelevant to bike rides).

Madness. 

The whole Mod 1 is bull.

It should be taken with your motorbike school. 

But hey no , they can only be trusted to send 17 year olds out onto the road after a day of learning, maybe on a 50cc pull and go onto a geared 125cc. Completely insane and unsafe.

1 hour on the road with an instructor.  Job done.

Rant over off to book for a 3rd time .

• Sad 1

You are obviously sore at failing this section and understandably so.

The thing is, real life riding can't be replicated - it's a test to show you can control the bike in an avoidance situation. You need this avoidance skill to dodge the bloody potholes when they appear from beneath the car in front!

You learn to pass the tests first, the learning to ride comes after.

The required speed for this section is 31mph, that's not too fast to be able to keep the bike in 2nd gear and go for it without it becoming uncontrollable on a school machine.

Book your test again, suck it up and don't let it get you down.

Good luck for next time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

as shep says.

its a faff and expensive for everyone (including the gov as they have to pay for the whole setup which will take more than decades if ever to break even of any builds done) in regards but it does have a point and a real world reference that does sort of replicate but just in a safer manner.

just saying tou can/did it out in the world is not enough or evidence.

is you go around a changing radius (real world corners pitfall) to see if you have control and spotting skills.

then as you gain speed again like to a straight road now to assimilate a car pulling/creeping out of a junction to you left (real world accident) at normal road speeds where you will not have time to stop (distance and time too short) yet to physically move the bike around the front of the car as you still have speed and movability might be more effective, (this i have had to rely on as a skill before) hence why birds/flys/ animals will more move than just stop unless its the last option.

figure of eight is throttle, clutch, bar, body simultaneous control both sides as some will naturally have a good and weak side. 

in some ways a 50cc only makes sense in the inner city but everywhere else their a risk as their too slow with other flowing traffic so theirs the risk, 125 is a balancing act.

prior to this point they are mostly protected for their own good but 17 year olds can go to college without any supervision, create life, drink (illegally), be left alone, live alone if they want/have to, make a lot of decisions for themselves....but still need to do things and learn if they havnt already of yep its a dangerous place the outside world that will screw u up.

you could try to argue the point of the test but its staying as is so either get over it and work at it so you can enjoy biking or dont bother and miss out, its your choice.

anyway to be productive, was your speed to slow to the test? was that due to coasting and being in a gear to high, hesitant to the section (as in worried), or just not looking/thinking far enough ahead? did you shut off the throttle before or mid manoeuvre which made the bike behave differently? 

Edited by RideWithStyles

Glad I only had to go around the block when I did mine.

So if I'm understanding this right you have to get up to a certain speed before you go into an avoidance manoeuvre? Like swerve around a manhole or something at a min of 30mph?

Posted (edited)

I have just done mine. I spent four days of the five day DAS course, including morning of my Mod 1 test on day 4, making an utter Horlicks of my figure 8s and U turns. I kept looking down at the cones rather than up, keeping the gap between them in my peripheral vision. U turn practice I kept hitting the opposite line as I was looking at it. Test was in Mitcham at lunchtime so a slow crawl through 20mph and walking pace South London traffic then it all came together. Figure 8s I kept my head up, ignored the cones and made it, U turn I twisted my head round like an owl as I started the turn and looked way up in the distance, ending up with a foot to spare from the line. In both instances I kept clutch and throttle steady to provide drive and used the back brake to control the speed.

For the emergency stop and hazard avoidance I left the visor open to judge speed better - there’s a good run up to get up to speed so I managed to inadvertently hit 65kph through the trap on both.

They seem pointless as exercises but we later had some tight mini roundabouts where the slow, tight control of the figure 8 helped, and later in a petrol station, coming in tight then round to the pumps. Then in real life you’ll have tight corners, hairpin bends going up or downhill, manoeuvring around car decks on ferries, etc. 
Several mates of mine who ride tell me they still practice slow speed stuff, as they hate being seen paddling anywhere.

Edited by Dombo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Glad I only had to go around the block when I did mine.

So if I'm understanding this right you have to get up to a certain speed before you go into an avoidance manoeuvre? Like swerve around a manhole or something at a min of 30mph?

yes tou have to be within a certain speed before and after this manoeuvre, its to simulate a car creeping out between two parked cars or a small junction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Just one more question.. How do they know your exact speed?

You pass through a couple of yellow cones which has a speed trap. The examiner puts his hand up once you’re through so he knows your speed is recorded. The issue I had when practising this was looking at the speedo so barely getting past 30mph. By the time of my Mod 1 test I pretty much knew what 30 and 40 felt like so just wellied it through. The engine note helps too. Leave it in second as you’ll probably have changed into third in real life before getting to 30 so if it sounds a bit more revvy than usual chances are your speed is ok.

I had been changing gear far too early on the road rides, treating it like a car. It was only when joining a dual carriageway and getting up to 70 I realised how quick these bikes are. 50-70 knocks spots off a 911!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Agree. You def. gotta lean it a bit on the approaching bend. And you only use 1st and 2nd on MOD1.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 1