Camshaft gear damage

Doofa57

my bike developed a bit of a knocking noise from near the valves so I took the top off to have a quick look maybe adjust the valves and I noticed it damage on the timing gear. What could happen as a result of this.

Damage it is right next to where the bolt hole is.

Sorry mate , you're going to have to post a better picture . What exactly is damaged ? The teeth ?

Damage it is right next to where the bolt hole is.

Sorry mate , you're going to have to post a better picture . What exactly is damaged ? Do you mean the heat discoloration on the shaft under the cap ? If so , you will need to purchase a Plastiguage kit to assess the level of wear .

Where the gear bolts on to the shaft round the bolt hole

Please use a flash , looks like a black cat in a coal hole !

that chunk may be creating nice bits of metal floating around your engine causing damage and clogging oilways ...

it may still be relatively intact and resting lower down on the timing chain hence the rattle ...

it may be historic and nothing new

but you need to investigate..

remove side covers and look for remenants

drain oil and check for fragments

and go from there ..

check that area to see if its going to disintegrate further and replace if necessary

Where the gear bolts on to the shaft round the bolt hole

Please use a flash , looks like a black cat in a coal hole ! Are you trying to show that the bolt has come out ? If it has then where is it ? I'm getting a bad feeling here .

FB casting has broken up around area A

either through overtighten or being used to secure camshaft to undo/tighten bolts 20190714_165304.jpg

Ah ha , now I see it , thanks Tim . If it were me I'd replace the cam shaft .

Doesn't look new to me, could've happened at the factory??

Is it actually damage ? Could it possibly be an incomplete casting ? Now that I've realized that the bolt goes in from the other side I'd say just ignore it and ride the bike . You might want to keep your hand on the clutch though ! Only joking . If there is a chunk of metal loose in the engine it would have done the damage by now . I expect that this is a vertically split engine without a detachable sump so there's not a lot you can do about it without a total strip down.

Is it a bit snapped off or is it a crack cant quite see .

I struggled to work it out but it's like a big flake of metal has come off but because it's stained the same colour as the rest if the shaft I would agree that it may have been like that for some time .