What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

2 hours ago, Joe85 said:

Something else i've noticed is the GS doesn't appear to be comp[atible with the Abba Skylift or superbike stand, which is a bit shit.

My son in law and I found that out when I suggested we buy one together but KT1300 doesn't fit either. Sadly.

• Like 1

Bulbs... 

Got my first bike in over 20 years home in the dark, and it was dismal. 

So, new pair of Halfords H4 150% brighter, and LED side light bulbs. 

Wow, what a difference! 

Also replaced a bulb in the speedo as I struggled to see the lower numbers, actually thought I was doing 60, but it turned out to be 25 (it's been a while) 🤣

Edited by Simon Davey
Bad smelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

My son in law and I found that out when I suggested we buy one together but KT1300 doesn't fit either. Sadly.

Decided to email them. They responded pretty quickly saying they're making an adapter, so it must fit somehow. Quite pleased as I've grown attached my sky lift :D

• Like 1

Also, pissed about with disconnecting the exhaust valve servo cables to see if it produced a bit more noise. Neglible with the stock can. Don't feel like weighing out another grand for the BMW akra, either.

I guess one of the (many) downsides) of buying a bike first off the production line is there eff all aftermarket parts available. Boo.

In terms of what im doing with the bike in general. Everytime i pass the garage door, stick my head in, admire it for 5 seconds, occasionally giving it a stoke and then going about my business again.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 14:58, Joe85 said:

Picked up the 1300 GS today.

Didn't really get to have a good ride as I just wanted to get home before the rain so can apply the XCP without having to give it a deep clean. Also removed the central locking pannier rack thingys, never gonna use that. Also, the blind spot detection thing really does make the rear end look awful, it pokes right out. I'm afraid that's gonna have to go in the bin in favor of a tail tidy.

Can I ask how long the XCP takes to dry as I'm thinking of giving a quick spray when I collect my bike on Thursday?

When I've had the complete valet service from All Year Biker I've been just riding off bit he does have a dryer.

19 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Can I ask how long the XCP takes to dry as I'm thinking of giving a quick spray when I collect my bike on Thursday?

When I've had the complete valet service from All Year Biker I've been just riding off bit he does have a dryer.

To be honest I’ve never thought about lettingit dry. But I do tend to leave it overnight (by coincidence). 

I rub it in with a microfibre cloth, so as far as I’m concerned it’s good to go right away.

• Thanks 1

Just tried to ride with both a disc lock in the front and chain lock in the back... you can imagine how that went.

Dropped it - couldn't see anything as it was dark but didn't seem there was any damage and felt ok

• Sad 5

Wow that is different, one or the other as new rider i get but while both is different.

Shamed to say it but i did it once with a disc lock at the trafford centre while the wife was on the back with my first bike, didnt drop it but came as a shock and cracked side of the mud guard. I was sooo annoyed at myself.

with those coatings you only need a thin layer on, as joe says coat and lightly buff is all thats needed.

10 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Wow that is different, one or the other as new rider i get but while both is different.

Shamed to say it but i did it once with a disc lock at the trafford centre while the wife was on the back with my first bike, didnt drop it but came as a shock and cracked side of the mud guard. I was sooo annoyed at myself.

with those coatings you only need a thin layer on, as joe says coat and lightly buff is all thats needed.

20 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

How the heck...????

I changed tail tidy - and all then I was sitting on it and I went on the dash and tried to change some settings and wasn't thinking - wanted to ride to cover underneath near my apartment building so I could keep working on it in the dark. All in all sat on it for 10 mins and then without thinking hahhhh

• Sad 2

Just had an interesting conversation with the owner of Supershield Auto (I've used them a few times to ceramic coat my bikes) about ACF50, XCP etc. Was watching TeapotOne's Gs clean video below (really good cleaning tips, btw), where Peter mentions about ACF50 being viscous and damaging over time to paintwork. (9mins 40 secs in the video).

I thought i'd drop him a text and just ask the question regarding XCP too, and he's adamant that it's not required for modern bikes (particularly BMW's and other brands, which use aluminum screws).

Interesting. Could save a PITA job once or twice a year.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe85 said:

Just had an interesting conversation with the owner of Supershield Auto (I've used them a few times to ceramic coat my bikes) about ACF50, XCP etc. Was watching TeapotOne's Gs clean video below (really good cleaning tips, btw), where Peter mentions about ACF50 being viscous and damaging over time to paintwork. (9mins 40 secs in the video).

I thought i'd drop him a text and just ask the question regarding XCP too, and he's adamant that it's not required for modern bikes (particularly BMW's and other brands, which use aluminum screws).

Interesting. Could save a PITA job once or twice a year.

Pete is as anal as you like, and that’s good.”

Okaaay. 

• Haha 1

Off memory aluminium alloy and the oxide coating if applied is a barrier but not invincible and alu is quite susceptible to damage of corrosion including salt, might not rust but still can get eaten at like sugar does to teeth. So additional protection while out in the environment before any damage occurs is the best option. 

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

New tyres day. PR6 GT on my R1250RT, however I couldn't pick the bike up until about 4.00pm. Then, it was straight out onto cold, damp, mud & gravel splattered roads, just as it was getting dark and starting to drizzle, all on unscrubbed in tyres. What joy!

At least scrubbing those tyres in, gives you a good reason to go out for a ride when it's dry. 

Paid for the akra for the GS, as i wanted to see if there was any audible difference from stock, both with and without the servo eliminator kit. Turns out it truly is just a very expensive (and admittedly very nice-looking) visual upgrade only. 

Straight back in the box and on it way for a refund. Money will be better spent on a set of aftermarket headers.

Yesteryears the can was the deadening item but years has progressed it was the valve or servo flap but as emissions tightened Most of the sound deadening is at the cat or more amusingly called the bread bin.  The rest is just simple tubing with less soundeading than ever in the exhaust to reclaim loses in weight gain, cost and efficiency.

Depending on starting bike set up the only way really nowadays to get modern bike set up to be quite noteworthy louder is to race exhaust w

system which will do two things, either change the bread box to a sports cat or removes it, the other to a point if it had it would be to remove the exhaust valve but gains are minimal.

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 2

Having bought a Monokey top box, because Monokey is printed on the pannier brackets, I've just changed the top box plate which turned out to be Monolock 🙄 

In my defence, there was nothing printed on the top plate, but I realised  before the top box arrived.

• Like 1

Just replaced back tyre, upgrading from old classic to Avon roadrunner which suitable replacement, by taking back wheel off they didn't even charge me to fit and were cheaper than me buying online and fitting myself, happy days and much smoother ride, sorry SD for your pain!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angela Collen said:

Just replaced back tyre, upgrading from old classic to Avon roadrunner which suitable replacement, by taking back wheel off they didn't even charge me to fit and were cheaper than me buying online and fitting myself, happy days and much smoother ride, sorry SD for your pain!!

Who did you go to?

Hi Mickly, went to auto and tyre centre in Mildenhall,Suffolk, top guys who don't rip you off, bike shop attached where I bought leather jacket and gloves, sorry not near you in Coventry, had front tyre done last month and such good job and done straight away, took back to be done, they get tyres from local source in Suffolk, so ordered day before and in next day, if local to here would recommend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1