Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

5 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I've been a couple of times, and did some touring (non motorbike unfortunately). The city areas are great for riding, and some of the local mountainous areas present amazing roads, but so much of Oz is just barren flat and arid land, I wouldn't do anything cross country.

Australia is actually a country I once swore to never go back to again, owing to the fact I do not mesh well with long haul flights, and I blew up a sinus on the descent. I'd gotten ill during the flight and it sealed up, creating a pressure pocket that tore as the pressure changed on the way down. 

Now my sister lives there, I'm going to have to change that outlook :lol: 

I have similar thoughts about Oz. It's a body-breaking grim journey, and when you get there it's almost as good as loads of places that are a lot nearer. But I have wondered about biking in Tassie: great roads, no traffic, lots of bends, mountains and the lot. Cracking scenery to boot - it's so unlike most of Oz. In fact it's a lot like Wales - and that includes the weather. And Wales is so much nearer home...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

I have similar thoughts about Oz. It's a body-breaking grim journey, and when you get there it's almost as good as loads of places that are a lot nearer. But I have wondered about biking in Tassie: great roads, no traffic, lots of bends, mountains and the lot. Cracking scenery to boot - it's so unlike most of Oz. In fact it's a lot like Wales - and that includes the weather. And Wales is so much nearer home...

I came to a similar conclusion, although with New Zealand. I'd live there quite happily. The climate is much more comfortable as well, and the terrain more varied... Oh and less in the way of bugs/reptiles that can kill you!

The job market is a lot better than you have over here, the cost of living is high but the wages are more in line with it than they are in the UK. Around 2017, I asked a few questions and even had a job interview to discuss the logistics and sponsoring me for a work visa, but I had a lot going on at the time that made me park it. I've asked my Mrs if she'd like to go, but was a flat no, apparently her mum would have my head :lol: 

Oh well, no mountain roads and Polynesian spas for me... 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It's always the family that's the tie. We were living in the States when my Dad was dying here in the UK.

We came back. I knew the missus wouldn't be able to do it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/02/2024 at 16:57, Fozzie said:

Good afternoon,

Still recovering a bit from last weeks flu. Was up at 4am yesterday to take my sister to the airport, was a long drive to Heathrow, very teary goodbyes. She landed safely in Australia this morning, and has hit the ground there with a job and a place to live... Pretty good going, although I selfishly hope she doesn't love it enough to stay. :lol: 

Got my grading tomorrow at Jui-Jitsu, should be fun. I have the advantage that my girlfriends dad is a third dan, so I went over to his and did a bit of training with the promise of buying him a beer. Doing 2 gradings in one night, and I'm feeling good about it. 

All the best with your grading.

Shame it’s not judo, mind. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did my grading last night. 

I felt a bit run down still from last weeks flu, my fitness had a big dent in it. My heart was pounding, and I was sweating like mad. 

But I did it, and I got my red belt :mrgreen: 

The sensei who helped out and was the uki for the grading did say after I was run through my paces a lot more than the other two. And while I immediately took that to mean "they had doubts then?", he assured it is more likely they were pushing to test what I could do and how adaptive I was. The head of the club is a 7th Dan so I tried not to squander the chance to raise my profile with him. As I'd like to take this all the way through to black belt at the least!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

I did my grading last night. 

I felt a bit run down still from last weeks flu, my fitness had a big dent in it. My heart was pounding, and I was sweating like mad. 

But I did it, and I got my red belt :mrgreen: 

The sensei who helped out and was the uki for the grading did say after I was run through my paces a lot more than the other two. And while I immediately took that to mean "they had doubts then?", he assured it is more likely they were pushing to test what I could do and how adaptive I was. The head of the club is a 7th Dan so I tried not to squander the chance to raise my profile with him. As I'd like to take this all the way through to black belt at the least!

Congratulations. The difference between a red belt and a black belt is that the black belt didn’t give up. 

🥋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rennie said:

Good evening :classic_biggrin:

I haven't been to a judo grading for about 45 years!🙄

It’s been over 23 years for me. I’d previously graded in 1973 

They say you shouldn’t have regrets but having a 22 year judo hiatus is mine. 

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1