Tyre advice

Breadsnapper

I put a new bt023 on the front of my bike about 3k miles ago and already it has squared off. However it has worn more on one side than the other and a grove has appeared on one side. So it looks very unevenly worn. I check tyre pressure twice a month and no issues there. The front shocks were services just after the tyre going on. I have spoken with the place I got the.tyre from and he's basically blamed my riding style. I don't do.motorway miles just general riding. Is it worth contacting Bridgestone direct and is is possible it's just a bad tyre.

Cheers

Dave

It doesn't hurt to try but I would think Bridgestone will decline any responsibility.

I had a similar problem years ago when I got my Africa twin and the thread blocks would wear unevenly, almost every other one would be higher.

There are a wide range of factors and yes your riding style will affect it.

3k on a BT023 seems just under what you would expect on a front tyre on a more sporty riding style.

That also happens on stronger and frequent braking.

Bridgestone’s are renowned for what you are experiencing.

Do a Google search and you’ll find info on it.

I hate Bridgestone’s and haven’t put them on any bike since 2008.

They tram like mad which doesn’t lead to confidence in the front. Tramming means any little groove, crack, over-banding or uneven parts of the road surface and the front will follow it, taking you off course.

I didn’t realise how bad this was happening until I changed to a different brand (Michelin). The first couple of hundred miles I used to tense up automatically when going over bad road surfaces with the new Michelin’s on. Until I realised the tyre was ignoring the grooves.

Everyone is different, but I don’t rate Bridgestone’s and I know a lot of others don’t either.

I agree with the above comment. I had Battlax BT023 on my Tenere when I had it and experienced similar problems, I personally didn't think it was my riding style but a fault with the tyre. I've never had it happen with any other tyre, I use Michelins now. We're not the only ones to have experienced this issue, plenty of reviews on Google.

Edited by manxie49

Before going harshly on Bridgestone tyres we need to keep in mind that the BT023 & 021 are older models and the newer BT046 seem to be far better and having solved that problem.

Personally, I have Michelins on the ST1300 but won't have a problem going back to the BT's

Before going harshly on Bridgestone tyres we need to keep in mind that the BT023 & 021 are older models and the newer BT046 seem to be far better and having solved that problem.

Personally, I have Michelins on the ST1300 but won't have a problem going back to the BT's

I don't think anyone is going harshly on Bridgestone I think people are just giving opinions on their own personal experiences, which in this case hasn't been good .... The BT046 may be a better tyre, I've never used them so I can't comment. Michelins are my tyre of choice, they seem to suit my riding style and are pretty good for all year round riding

I had a Bridgstone on the front of my GSX600F, not sure which type - think it was BT-21.

It wore out on the right side, in just under 4,000miles.

My commute home from work included 3 roundabouts - all right turn at speed, which seemed to be the reason for the right side wear.

I now have Michelin Pilot Road, much better tyre, lasts longer and wearing more evenly. Dry road grip maybe a bit down on the Bridgestone, but wet grip is better.

I agree with the above comment. I had Battlax BT023 on my Tenere when I had it and experienced similar problems, I personally didn't think it was my riding style but a fault with the tyre. I've never had it happen with any other tyre, I use Michelins now. We're not the only ones to have experienced this issue, plenty of reviews on Google.

My SV650 came with these. Interesting to read, as I've only covered 500 miles. Will have to keep an eye on this.

I'm planning to switch to pilot road 4 or 5 when I'm due a change as I've had pilot sport 4s on my car for the last 3 years as they offer fantastic grip, especially in the wet.

I'm planning to switch to pilot road 4 or 5 when I'm due a change as I've had pilot sport 4s on my car for the last 3 years as they offer fantastic grip, especially in the wet.

historically I would of agreed however, I just picked up a pair of Avon storm XM’s for the price of a rear PR4

So far i am impressed wet and dry, 1 and 2 up. Not had really spirited ride yet and have only done about 500 miles.

historically I would of agreed however, I just picked up a pair of Avon storm XM’s for the price of a rear PR4

So far i am impressed wet and dry, 1 and 2 up. Not had really spirited ride yet and have only done about 500 miles.

Good to hear you rate the tyres. Wait until the warmer weather 😉

My SV650 came with these. Interesting to read, as I've only covered 500 miles. Will have to keep an eye on this.

I had the PR4 on my CBR600. They were very good.

My S1000RR came with Bridgestones, but when I need to replace them, I'll be switching to Michelin again.

Guest Swagman

It’s all down to personal choice and riding style I have ridden on Bridgestone for many years never had a problem with them and always saw 2rears to 1 front, you hear so many stories about what types of tyre you ought use if you like the tyres you have then good be happy with them. :thumb: :thumb: